Review R16 Saints v Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay longer is very clumsy and slow in general play.. Was several occasions he could've released us with quick hands but was too slow got tackled and turned it over

Reckon Bruce might be in a bit of MRP trouble with that backward elbow out on the far wing. Think it was in the third when things were really getting out of hand.

May mean McCartin gets another game next week if Riewoldt's not up to it.

Reckon Bruce might be in a bit of MRP trouble with that backward elbow out on the far wing. Think it was in the third when things were really getting out of hand.

May mean McCartin gets another game next week if Riewoldt's not up to it.
Surely paddy gets another game regardless

haha, ahhh. Sorry, needed one of these :rolleyes: in my post. L Weller features on at least 2/3's of the pages on our trade thread ;) :p
Haven't had the chance read your trade thread so you'll forgive me if I missed your hint at sarcasm but Im expecting him to grow into a fine footballer

He will do that playing at the saints with his brother and good mate Hugh Goddard. :cool:
Not sure where he was picked up in the 2014 draft but did the saints pass on him before fremantle picked him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was happy to let Paddy and Goddard develop in the VFL for the rest of the year but after their games today I hope they play out the year.

I had a revelation today.

Gilbo and Ray are just warming spots for the youngsters. Richo knows it and is no mug. He doesn't want to gift games to McKenzie and Acres, etc. Plus he knows their young bodies need to be managed.

Once I realised this, it made the constant turnovers and poor decision making tolerable. That's a OTT re Gilbert, he was one of better triers and was always making himself an option for team mates, worked incredibly hard, etc. Ray is more frustrating, he's courageous as we all know, but his tackling is poor, and footy smarts are not elite. At least he is a good team man. Not knocking the man, just the footballer.

I began typing "Dunstan again poor", then I checked his stats, pretty good. I don't know what to think, my eyes tell me he's playing a quiet game and turning the ball over, the stats tell me he was quite prolific and kicked a goal.

That's the negative stuff.

Plenty to be positive about. The Tigers are a good team imo - top 6, so no shame in losing to them.

Great spirit as we're growing accustomed to expect.

Enjoyed the McCartin show - he's such a team man. Can see it in the reactions of his team mates and when he gave the assist to Weller, he was over the moon!

Go you Sainters!

great post. as much as the senior blokes may let us down kicking wise etc. we need to be patient. eventually they will be phased out but before we can do that we need them to hand over to the younger players and instil the right work ethic etc.

Huuuge improvement from Gilbo. Just stuck to doing the basics today and didn't try to be a star. That's all he should do. I think Chips, Schneider and maybe Ray will all hang them up this year, so Gilbo probably gets another two years on the list.

Apart from that agree with pretty much all of the posts above.

Last edited:
Weller was outstanding, as was Savage - I loved Sav's desperation and defensive efforts today.
Great to watch these two playing, Weller yesterday was outstanding, he also showed courage, willpower & downright class all day. Savage, when he`s made up his mind that the ball is his, there are not too many that get it off him, possibly only an umpire returning it back to the centre after a long bomb. A couple of good war horses we need in going forward.

Obviously the Tigers had probably put the cue in the rack a little.
But it was a bad sign for them that was once we got on top in that final qtr Richmond didnt know what to do and they couldnt stop our run.
We are still inconsistent and thats something that will come better with time. The coach is still learning and with quite a few players with only a handfull of games under their belts it has to be expected.
But the exciting thing is when it all clicks together for us , like the start of the game Vs Coll or Carl. The first Doggies game and the last qtr yesterday we play an extremely exciting high scoring brand of footy.
And as we saw against Ess if we are ON and the other team is slightly OFF then we can be dominant.
We still have a lot of development/improvement we need to do.
But the positives are starting to catch up to the negatives .

Well done to both clubs yesterday for being so respectful to Maddie.

He was very proppy in the 2nd half...wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the next 2-3 weeks
If so I wonder if Lee will get a run. Personally I think writing was on the wall for Lee when he was subbed off early last year agains Bris I think for being ineffectual.

Huuuge improvement from Gilbo. Just stuck to doing the basics today and didn't try to be a star. That's all he should do. I think Chips, Schneider and maybe Ray will all hang them up this year, so Gilbo probably gets another two years on the list.

Apart from that agree with pretty much all of the posts above.

He is best running, the last few weeks he has played as an accountable KP. He has never been any good at it. We haven't been playing with two proper KPBs. Goddard allowed him to run free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back