Society/Culture Raising a child in a half religious home

Remove this Banner Ad

What about parents who are vegos/vegans and raise their children as vegans? (is breast milk considered vegan?)

The breast milk of the mother would be sourced with the complete consent on the mother, which would negate all issues, I would assume.....

Raising kids vegan would be a bit difficult because how prevelant animal products are, but raising them vegetarian would be easy as - It would also be a fairly easy decision for kids later in life to decide to eat meat or keep it out of their diet too...

It's not a hard and fast belief philosophy like religion.. it's just a diet

It would also be a fairly easy decision for kids later in life to decide to eat meat or keep it out of their diet too...

I disagree. You are conditioned to dietary habits from a young age. Kids who are raised healthy are less likely to become adults who exist off fast food etc., IMO.

I don't think there would be too many kids who were raised as vegetarians who suddenly decided to start ordering 300g sirloins once they turned 18.

Does the fact that you eat meat equate a belief system?

It's a diet - My diet was vegetarian for about 8 years, for 18 months of that time it was a vegan diet -

There were numerous reasons why I chose not to eat meat - They changed over time, and by the final 12 months of the strict vegetarian diet, my reasons for doing so were complety different to when I had first started -

Just because some people decide that being vego/vegan is a big part of their identity (and I understand why) doesn't mean it's a 'belief system' - Ask one vego why they're vego and it will be a completely different reason to why another vego is vego...

When it comes to religion, there is a bit more uniformity in it

I don't think there would be too many kids who were raised as vegetarians who suddenly decided to start ordering 300g sirloins once they turned 18.

No doubt - I've been eating meat again for two years and I haven't yet ordered a 300g sirloin, and it's unlikely that I will..

but I think you'd be kidding yourself if a 16 year old who has grown up vegetarian isn't going to try some meat once in a while when they're out with friends , especially if there is a 'no meat' rule at home.....

Try it maybe, but I'm free to eat sauerkraut or rollmops or kimchi or whatever if I so choose, but it's a long way from what I was raised on and I don't choose to. I think if you are raised to adulthood without eating meat it is pretty rare (steak pun not intended) that you'll turn into an omnivore.

That works for values (as blackcat alluded to) but less so for the particular customs that a religion or belief system adheres to. Values can wait until a child is old enough to begin understanding them but not so well for the dietary restrictions I mentioned, or even circumcision.

I reckon your mate is lucky - other than the horror of no access to bacon - the fact is Judaism can accomodate agnosticism and athiesm more than almost any other religion. There are heaps of cultural Jews that do the Sader and all that who regard themselves as athiest. So let her bring the kid up as a Jew - it is almost an institutional feature of non orthodox Jews that they are skeptical about God. Let her do the Barmitsva and all that and your mate can still influence the kids towards athiesm/agnosticism

We are not talking about Southern Baptists here - the other thing about Jewish culture in Australia is - people exposed to it tend to be incredibly successful. Look at the ANTA scores at Jewish schools!

Last edited:
I reckon your mate is lucky - other than the horror of no access to bacon - the fact is Judaism can accomodate agnosticism and athiesm more than almost any other religion. There are heaps of cultural Jews that do the Sader and all that who regard themselves as athiest. So let her bring the kid up as a Jew - it is almost an institutional feature of non orthodox Jews that they are skeptical about God. Let her do the Barmitsva and all that and your mate can still influence the kids towards athiesm/agnosticism

Yep. Jerry Coyne said once there's an old joke - what do you call a non-religious Jew?

Answer: A jew.

We are not talking about Southern Baptists here - the other thing about Jewish culture in Australia is - people exposed to it tend to be incredibly successful. Look at the ANTA scores at Jewish schools!
Really! Yet to meet a Jew who is fully embraced by those of faith who is an atheist. Agnostic, yes. But there are countless agnostics who follow a faith.

An atheist being embraced as an Israeli. Different proposition.

When I was a kid I went to Sunday School at the Sally Army.
The week after Father Liddicoate put his scaly mauler on my thigh,I bought an icecream with the 'donation' Ma and Pa used to give me,didn't go to Sunday School and wondered around.
Got home told the folks and to my enduring astonishment given our financial state at the time,was never asked what I did with the 'donation'.

Its not organised religion but it definitely is a belief system
You know the term"belief system" was coined so the religious could point at other loons to allay attention....
Homeopathy is a belief system as is Astrology and so is Rugby Union.
Meaningless verbal squibbery really.
At least vegetarianism can show valid real life outcomes, benefits and dangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was raised in a half religious household (mother is catholic, father is, well just agnostic). I turned out okay (hopefully). funny story that I only just recently found out about, apparently my father wanted me circumcised but my mother wouldn't let him and thank god she didn't. Its more or less just the way society has evolved its view on the matter, where it used to be common enough it is now less prevalent, especially in western society.

I was raised in a half religious household (mother is catholic, father is, well just agnostic). I turned out okay (hopefully). funny story that I only just recently found out about, apparently my father wanted me circumcised but my mother wouldn't let him and thank god she didn't. Its more or less just the way society has evolved its view on the matter, where it used to be common enough it is now less prevalent, especially in western society.

All you need to do is watch one being performed. Only religion would allow the forced mutilation of a helpless infant, and then not only condone it, but celebrate it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back