RDFL Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make some excellent points but in fairness 3 of the injuries that day were impact injuries. An elbow, collar bone and ankle can't really be linked to a taxing game plan.

They used that game plan all year and it worked well. I do think they need to hold more structure forward of the ball. In finals people panic and sideways handballs through traffic are harder to pull off. Romsey really pressured them in the first final and forced turnovers.
Rupo are a well coached very disciplined side but they have to vary their game plan to take the next step. Take Romsey for example they were clearly the best coached side by a mile because they continually changed their game plan depending on who they played each week. They were completely unpredictable and from the outside looking in it looked as though they planned from early in the season to prepare players to play in positions that they had never played before. Then look at Riddells performance in the Prelim against Diggers..One of the best coaching performances of the year they had 10 players out and were still in it with 5 minutes to go because they played a unpredictable fast moving quick scoring brand of football and didn't let Diggers turn it into a tackle fest like the 80 odd tackles they had against Rupo the week before. Even Diggers game plan evolved during the year a master stroke was Krul into defence Clarke into the Ruck but they started the year full of injuries and as the year went on as they got players back continuously tinkered with their structures. I guess what I am saying is all the top sides must have identified that if you tackle Rupo relentlessly don't let them get that easy 15 meter chip sidewards or backwards out of defence force them wide it leaves no room for error. And in finals errors occur and you have to plan for that .

Last edited:
Rupo are a well coached very disciplined side but they have to vary their game plan to take the next step. Take Romsey for example they were clearly the best coached side by a mile because they continually changed their game plan depending on who they played each week. They were completely unpredictable and from the outside looking in it looked as though they planned from early in the season to prepare players to play in positions that they had never played before. Then look at Riddells performance in the Prelim against Diggers..One of the best coaching performances of the year they had 10 players out and were still in it with 5 minutes to go because they played a unpredictable fast moving quick scoring brand of football and didn't let Diggers turn it into a tackle fest like the 80 odd tackles they had against Rupo the week before. Even Diggers game plan evolved during the year a master stroke was Krul into defence Clarke into the Ruck but they started the year full of injuries and as the year went on as they got players back continuously tinkered with their structures. I guess what I am saying is all the top sides must have identified that if you tackle Rupo relentlessly don't let them get that easy 15 meter chip sidewards or backwards out of defence force them wide it leaves no room for error. And in finals errors occur and you have to plan for that .
Agree with all of this. Teams are much more tactically aware now especially the top 4 this year. Romsey aside it felt like the others games winners were always going to be based on which team got the game on their terms.

Agree that Romsey did well making it very hard to nullify key players. They constantly rotated key players through different positions. Having the cattle to do it certainly helps. Basically brought in half a team and I reckon they had 6 or 7 guys who could conceivably be team of the year mids. Farmer, Petroro, Mitchell, Streeter, Smythe, Ryan, Austin, McNaughton are all guns. Good foresight to make them all so flexible. Rupo for example just don't have that depth yet.

You need to stop putting these posts on when you're pissed Mongrel. Don't have any players over 29y.o.

Just a bit of friendly banter big fella!!!!!

I copped a lot worse last year when romsey were flag favourites but from all reports its your clubs turn.

I might be wrong but I would of thought ruane, simms, tuckey, mccabe, heritage, lefty, thomo, harvey etc etc etc would be older than 29

Just a bit of friendly banter big fella!!!!!

I copped a lot worse last year when romsey were flag favourites but from all reports its your clubs turn.

I might be wrong but I would of thought ruane, simms, tuckey, mccabe, heritage, lefty, thomo, harvey etc etc etc would be older than 29

Brent Tuckey
Personal information
Date of birth
27 August 1979 (age 35)
Original team Stawell / Ballarat U18
Debut 25 July 1998, Collingwood
v. West Coast, at Victoria Park
Playing career1
Years
Club Games (Goals)
1998–2001
Total
Collingwood
West Coast 19 (8)
3 (1)
22 (9)
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2002 season.

Don't think it has been mentioned on here but it's been announced that jarryd and jason allen are going back to the bombers. Jason told former club waubra that he won't be coaching and will be an assistant to Troy scoble this year. Few good ins for riddell.

Don't think it has been mentioned on here but it's been announced that jarryd and jason allen are going back to the bombers. Jason told former club waubra that he won't be coaching and will be an assistant to Troy scoble this year. Few good ins for riddell.
Was an article about it 4 or 5 weeks ago. Best thing for Riddell is that Jarryd is actually playing again and kicked 50 or 60 goals last year. Good options for the bombers having Ruff, Petran, Nolan and Allen. Jason returning is a little controversial apparently but he will be huge. Can control the back half and will cut off lots of attacks.

Not sure who they lost. Had heard Williams, Hill, Sammut x 2 were the only confirmed losses.

I appreciate the great feedback meltonman. Ive gotta say that although im biassed because obviously I coach romsey but I totally agree. From day one my boys were pushed out of their comfort zone to play various positions. Also I laughed all year when oposition clubs and reporters spoke about romseys list like it was something near unbeatable. ...... it was a healthy list with plenty of depth but far from sum of the dominant lists ive seen in this comp b4.
The facts are, myself and dean burke studied the opposition thoroughly and gave and received feedback too and from the players, and together as 1 we planned the oppositions demise.

Thats why I have so much respect for troy scoble. He obviously had a plan to beat romsey but it didnt work. But rather than give up, him and serge come up with a great plan and got their players involved and executed it brilliantly. Riddell were about 3 minutes away from making a grand final they had no chance whatsoever of making. Well done scobes! !!!

Planning is key and burkey was a massive part of romseys last year and im trying everything to get the great man to stay at the mighty redbacks where he is loved!!!!!!!

Romseys 2014 list was definitely up there in my opinion with the late gisborne list and riddells list in there prime
Dean is a really good tactical coach and knows his stuff can't put a bad word toward his coaching, second to that of his best in his playing days.

The rdfl is thriving

Romseys 2014 list was definitely up there in my opinion with the late gisborne list and riddells list in there prime
Dean is a really good tactical coach and knows his stuff can't put a bad word toward his coaching, second to that of his best in his playing days.

The rdfl is thriving
I appreciate the great feedback meltonman. Ive gotta say that although im biassed because obviously I coach romsey but I totally agree. From day one my boys were pushed out of their comfort zone to play various positions. Also I laughed all year when oposition clubs and reporters spoke about romseys list like it was something near unbeatable. ...... it was a healthy list with plenty of depth but far from sum of the dominant lists ive seen in this comp b4.
The facts are, myself and dean burke studied the opposition thoroughly and gave and received feedback too and from the players, and together as 1 we planned the oppositions demise.

Thats why I have so much respect for troy scoble. He obviously had a plan to beat romsey but it didnt work. But rather than give up, him and serge come up with a great plan and got their players involved and executed it brilliantly. Riddell were about 3 minutes away from making a grand final they had no chance whatsoever of making. Well done scobes! !!!

Planning is key and burkey was a massive part of romseys last year and im trying everything to get the great man to stay at the mighty redbacks where he is loved!!!!!!!
Hope bourkey returns as he is loved at the REDBACKS but apparently they don't need him or you dean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy 2015 lady's and fellas, let's get back to business, who will be the team to surprise this year and who will be the team that will maybe drop off the pace a bit? Even get in early and tip flag favourites/grand finalist.

Diggers to win Flag 3rd time lucky .Some good recruits another year under Sims and if Tuckey is injury free they will go to another level. Sunbury will make a push for a top 3 spot and agree Macedon should be the big improvers . You cant write off Romsey, Riddell or Rupo they all have very good lists and are all very well coached sides so it,s very hard to write any of those sides off . I cant see the top 5 changing much Diggers, Sunbury ,Rupo, Romsey and Riddell in any order. Rockbank has a really good draw this season and could get some momentum early and Melton, Broadford and Woodend have all been busy recruiting and will all improve rapidly. All in all it appears to be a more open competition for 2015 looking forward to round 1.

Last edited:
Still Romsey as favs in my view. Still got the best list after last years huge recruiting spree. Lost a few but replaced them well if rumours are true. Wight, Saad, Burketts, Fish, Millward, Edmonson are all quality and would not have come cheap. Wight will give them great versatility with their talls. They were a long way ahead last year in lots of ways.

Have Sunbury,Diggers and Rupo as challengers in no particular order. Waiting for clearances to open to make a call on Riddell. Macedon or Broadford to get the last spot in the 6 based purely on recruiting speculation. Other clubs may be keeping things quiet.

Sunbury definitely sneaking under the guard a little bit. Have gone pretty hard. Recruited some good players and Ploog is returning from all reports.

Still Romsey as favs in my view. Still got the best list after last years huge recruiting spree. Lost a few but replaced them well if rumours are true. Wight, Saad, Burketts, Fish, Millward, Edmonson are all quality and would not have come cheap. Wight will give them great versatility with their talls. They were a long way ahead last year in lots of ways.

Have Sunbury,Diggers and Rupo as challengers in no particular order. Waiting for clearances to open to make a call on Riddell. Macedon or Broadford to get the last spot in the 6 based purely on recruiting speculation. Other clubs may be keeping things quiet.

Sunbury definitely sneaking under the guard a little bit. Have gone pretty hard. Recruited some good players and Ploog is returning from all reports.
Im not sure Romsey has secured all those players and from what I hear Dean Helmers is heavily invested in bringing in some of highly talented kids that have come up through the juniors ? Good call on Riddell but with talent like Sahlberg/Cariss/Darby/Nolan /Ruffell ect they will still be in the mix.

Pretty boring on this page. Who is going to step up in 2015? I don't think anyone will ever do what romsey done last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back