Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm impressed that after having bugger all picks, we've ended up with Gunston and Stratton out of this draft. Both will be 200 game players you'd think.

I'm not sure you can take credit for Gunston in this draft since you poached him from Adelaide 2 years later after he had won their best first year player.

I guess that makes our 2004 draft a success now that we've got Buddy ;)

Hawthorn get Stratton, Duryea, Suckling & Burgoyne in the 2009 off season (with Gunston traded in at a later date)
Melbourne get Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn

Goes to show the real value is in coaching and development, not early draft picks.

Rookie upgrades don't count

Whoops sorry I should have known better, clear cut in my mind = bias overrated misinformed judgment.

Unless your his mum or lover I think I watch him just as close as you do.
Honestly its like you can't read this is the last time i will respond to you I said it is NOT clear cut in my mind. If you watched Sheppard as close as I or any wce supporter does you would realise his performance has not been the same through his career.

Shep at his best operates at the level of a mid to late 2nd rd draft pick.

Shame we spaffed pick 7 on him, and then followed up with Koby Stevens (22) and Gerrick Weedon (23).

2009...what a year! :drunk:

Shep at his best operates at the level of a mid to late 2nd rd draft pick.

Shame we spaffed pick 7 on him, and then followed up with Koby Stevens (22) and Gerrick Weedon (23).

2009...what a year! :drunk:
The first two don't bother me so much. It was Jetta, Lucas or sheppard at the time. Stevens was rated higher than where we took him. Weedon was the one that pissed me right off, we took him far too early even though we needed a tall and Black and Carlisle were available.

fyfe
gunston
carlile
talia
stratton
martin
barlow
cunnington
duncan
crameri
christionson
black
jetta
rohan
scully

# martin would easily be pick 2, but off field issues drops him down the pecking order a bit.
# carlile could be a far better player than gunston but at this stage gunston is more consistent.
# I think Stratton is actually a really underrated player.
# menzel, morrabito would make the list if not for injuries.

Re-Done 2009 order
1. Nat Fyfe
2. Daniel Talia
3. Jake Carlisle
4. Dustin Martin
5. Jack Gunston
6. Michael Barlow
7. Ben Cunnington
8. Mitch Duncan
9. Stewart Crameri
10. Ben Stratton
11. Levi Casboult
12. Aaron Black
13. Sam Reid
14. Allen Christensen
15. Lewis Jetta
16. Tom Scully
17. Gary Rohan
18. Taylor Duryea
19. Jasper Pittard
20. Matt Jaensch

Hawthorn get Stratton, Duryea, Suckling & Burgoyne in the 2009 off season (with Gunston traded in at a later date)
Melbourne get Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn

Goes to show the real value is in coaching and development, not early draft picks.

Gawn was our best pick, except that Trengove's injuries have had a major impact.

But you're right, coaching and development is very important

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-Done 2009 order
1. Nat Fyfe
2. Daniel Talia
3. Jake Carlisle
4. Dustin Martin
5. Jack Gunston
6. Michael Barlow
7. Ben Cunnington
8. Mitch Duncan
9. Stewart Crameri
10. Ben Stratton
11. Levi Casboult
12. Aaron Black
13. Sam Reid
14. Allen Christensen
15. Lewis Jetta
16. Tom Scully
17. Gary Rohan
18. Taylor Duryea
19. Jasper Pittard
20. Matt Jaensch
Casboult could be good in his role like big Earl Spalding who was a dodgy kick and average mark, yet Reid, Black, Christensen, Jetta, etc. are better footballers.

What has happened to Bastinac?

You can't believe in karma if the likes of Daniel Menzel and Kreuzer have been struck down by injuries.

Menzel deserves to be on the list.

1. Nat Fyfe
2. Ben Cunnington
3. Dustin Martin
4. Jack Gunston
5. Michael Barlow
6. Mitch Duncan
7. Allen Christenson
8 Daniel Talia
9. Lewis Jetta
10. Ryan Bastinac

1. Nat Fyfe
2. Ben Cunnington
3. Dustin Martin
4. Jack Gunston
5. Michael Barlow
6. Mitch Duncan
7. Allen Christenson
8 Daniel Talia
9. Lewis Jetta
10. Ryan Bastinac
Cunnington at 2. You must kidding. Talk about bias.
1 Fyfe
2 Talia.. Maybe the most valuable of all. Best CHB in the game.
3 Gunston & Martin... Duncan not rated in top 3 or 4 as he tends to be injury prone... But very talented.

Until Martin plays well in finals, you have to have Cunnington ahead. Been very good in his 4 finals.

He's been a slower burn, but is built for finals footy and it shows.

Martin is better than Cotchin though if it helps you sleep at night.

Carlisle is far better than Bastinac lets not be stupid. He is only behind Fyfe from 2009.
Agree with the first sentence, second one much more debatable. Talia has outperformed Jake to date but had Carlisle been settled in one spot maybe this would be different. Cunnington, Martin, Gunston & Barlow have all had periods where they would be comfortably considered better players than Jake. Think on potential he's in the top couple from this draft, on output in the 5-8 range.

Cunnington at 2. You must kidding. Talk about bias.
1 Fyfe
2 Talia.. Maybe the most valuable of all. Best CHB in the game.
3 Gunston & Martin... Duncan not rated in top 3 or 4 as he tends to be injury prone... But very talented.

You're talking about Mitch Duncan right? He the only one of our kids from that draft who hasn't had his career plagued by injury, he's played 92 our of the clubs last 97 games.

Basti has kicked more goals than him and had 4x400+ possession seasons one 1x 500+.

He has claims on being up there. Has a 44 possession game to his credit and multiple games of 3-4 goals and 30+ possessions, definitely an underrated career.

Basti has kicked more goals than him and had 4x400+ possession seasons one 1x 500+.

He has claims on being up there. Has a 44 possession game to his credit and multiple games of 3-4 goals and 30+ possessions, definitely an underrated career.
Bastinac has played 36 more games, Carlisle has played half his career at FB, it's understandable he would've kicked more total goals but he averages less per game. Jake has more brownlow votes and has played 2 harder positions (FB/CHF) than Bastinac (outside receiver)

Bastinac is value for where he was picked but nobody other than the most ardent North fans and staunch Essendon haters would take him over Carlisle now or into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back