Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

F75rAqcbgAALcUI

Let's hope the 'quiet Australians' who are voting No have stocked up on (cheap) champagne as they set to pop those corks on Saturday night when their precious victory is formally announced.

I read somewhere it could take up to 2 weeks before the final result is known.

Just enough time for the conspiracy theorists in the no camp to moan that they're trying to rig it.

Just enough time for the conspiracy theorists in the no camp to moan that they're trying to rig it.
Expectations are we should know by about 2100 when significant SA votes (since it is the likely swing state assuming NSW goes yes) have come in and possibly as early as 2000 if NSW goes bad.

My sister is working for AEC and they expect to have finished the count and reported their largish booth by 2000.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Already heard them moaning some people got extra postal votes sent out.

and of course that means people will vote yes twice - they’d never vote no twice.

That was the word when the polls were much closer and they would have to wait for all of the postal votes to come in. Unlikely that the postals will make a difference now.

Let's hope the 'quiet Australians' who are voting No have stocked up on (cheap) champagne as they set to pop those corks on Saturday night when their precious victory is formally announced.
Suspect the vast majority of yes and no voters (in particular no which is part of the reason no will probably win) don't really care and will just say thank God it is over.

Very grateful that we don't have voluntary voting like the states, campaign has had its bad moments but can you imagine how nasty it would have gotten if both sides had to focus on getting people to actually vote (US style whichbl just leads to extremism and dirty tricks on both sides)

Suspect the vast majority of yes and no voters (in particular no which is part of the reason no will probably win) don't really care and will just say thank God it is over.

If people don't care why would they vote no? If you're that apathetic surely you'd just take the word of the overwhelming number of peak and Indigenous bodies recommending a yes vote and be done with it.

I think a lot of the Yes voters will look at what to do next instead, while the No voters will continue to do nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the word when the polls were much closer and they would have to wait for all of the postal votes to come in. Unlikely that the postals will make a difference now.

4 million postals I heard.

Then there's all the pre-poll votes to count as well...

Then there's all the pre-poll votes to count as well...
It doesn't take 2 weeks to count the pre polls though. They're ready to go as soon as the polls close.
4 million postals I heard.

Antony Green is tracking this daily. Anyone interested in Australian elections should be following him on socials as he's the best source of information.

If people don't care why would they vote no? If you're that apathetic surely you'd just take the word of the overwhelming number of peak and Indigenous bodies recommending a yes vote and be done with it.

Why would you listen to anything anyone else says about it, especially those with their snout in the trough already and looking to get into it further?

If your to stupid to not make you own mind up then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why would you listen to anything anyone else says about it, especially those with their snout in the trough already and looking to get into it further?

If your to stupid to not make you own mind up then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The contention was people don't care so they vote no. I'd argue the opposite, if you don't care enough to do any research yourself why wouldn't you just follow the advice of almost everyone but the Federal Parliamentary Liberal Party and vote yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back