Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

I didn't hear or read anything of the kind and I'm only just noticing it now after the fact.

About as plausible of an excuse as the SA bogan years ago blaming the umpires - ''The crows were robbed....right in front of me''

Go check my earlier posts, I posted these things a long time ago.

The world does not revolve around you.

I think once some of the No voters realise they were hoodwinked by Dutton and co , that will transfer to the next election results.
lol we are now bringing out the voters were hoodwinked argument whenthe reality was that people didn't buy the divisive and racist voice. That included a lot I know who despise Peter Dutton also

Which means the outer suburbs will keep turning thier backs on Labor and any sort of progress

Is there any indication the outer suburbs are ‘turning their backs on Labor’?

Last polls showed Labor slightly in front of their election result.

Last by election in an outer seat (albeit 6 months ago but after several rate rises) was a 6% swing to ALP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still not representation in parliament however you want to twist the language.

It offered no power to legislate, no veto, nothing but the ability to give advice.
Of course it doesn't offer power to legislate, only crayon eaters believe that bullsh*t.

Perhaps read my post again, a yes victory would've guaranteed permission to establish an ATSI voice (which btw is NOT a representation in parliament but rather a representation to parliament < which you seem to infer I'm suggesting it has representation in - incorrect) . It's not hard.

You're arguing if a Yes vote got up then the permission may not have been implemented. Impossible no, but nor is North winning the flag next year.

It's a silly argument.

The wording “there shall be a body” means it has to exist.
Not necessarily.

I think this is where some no voters get confused.

Just coz permission by way of altering the constitution allows a Voice, doesn't 'guarantee' a Voice would be established.

Of course it would've been though. I wish it did.

People forget that the voice was odds on to be passed 12 months ago? The polls were very favorable for the voice.

What went wrong? There will be little self-reflection from the Yes group. Already the frenzied lashing out has begun: "The savages are racist", "Murdoch and his misinformation", "Sky News", etc etc. Here are my thoughts.

1) Elites jumping onboard: People are sick and tired of seeing privileged celebrities/high profile people telling everyone what to think and who to vote for. The corny instagram photos with "Yes" written on their palms etc. Social media has become a nauseating cesspool of self-promotion mixed with virtue signaling. Some of it was up there with the incessant virtue signalling during covid. Who can forget the Imagine cover. Pass me the vomit bucket.

2) Big business jumping on board: When does big business give a stuff about equity and inclusion? Qantas was a case in point. Don't lecture us and then rip us off blind. Im staggered the Yes vote sided recruited celebrites and big business. They should have been telling both to stay far away.

3) Rental criss/housing crisis: I don't want to bang on at all about immigration - my thoughts on this matter are well known. This issue has been exacerbated under the Albanese government - it is undoubtedly a national emergency. It is one thing to advocate for closing the gap on indigenous inequality - it is a national priority - however, many on the left willingly turn a blind eye to the issue of housing and excessive immigration. I don't have all the answers in this regard. I will say this however: It is cost free for an inner city leftie to advocate for closing the gap - there is no down side that they take on personally - hence why it is so popular.

Of course, housing adorability may mean that the leftie's inner city unit may have to fall in value - all of a sudden there is a personal risk and a down side that the leftie will generally scoff at and turn a blind eye.

Such rampant hypocrisy doesn't go unnoticed by the unwash.

That is my 2 cents.

My advice to Albo: get back to basics.
not worth 2c. recycled bullshit

Of course it doesn't offer power to legislate, only crayon eaters believe that bullsh*t.

Perhaps read my post again, a yes victory would've guaranteed permission to establish an ATSI voice (which btw is NOT a representation in parliament but rather a representation to parliament < which you seem to infer I'm suggesting it has representation in - incorrect) . It's not hard.

You're arguing if a Yes vote got up then the permission may not have been implemented. Impossible no, but nor is North winning the flag next year.

It's a silly argument.
13Qe.gif

I think once some of the No voters realise they were hoodwinked by Dutton and co , that will transfer to the next election results.
Have you seen Dutton's approval rating? It'll take a miracle for the Libs to get in the next election. Their only hope is a new leader and reform in the next two years.
I'm not sure you're insults hit the mark.

I have enough white supremacists friends, I'm actually trying to downsize, not increase.
Genuine question, if they're actual supremacists, why are you even friends with them?

I hope that the government throws a truckload of money at closing the gap.

I hope you guys feel the cost of living even more than you did before.
They already do. $40B a year. I hope this gets audited so we can see who's skimming money off the top

Ah, the tolerant left. Always shows itself eventually. Awful, hatefilled people like you are dangerous because you think you're superior. Thankfully you always get slapped down by the majority

Rest up, busy week of hating everyone coming up

Not necessarily.

I think this is where some no voters get confused.

Just coz permission by way of altering the constitution allows a Voice, doesn't 'guarantee' a Voice would be established.

Of course it would've been though. I wish it did.
I really don’t think that’s right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back