Refugee rapist jailed for his third attack on women since arriving in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a price well worth paying so Sarah Hanson-Young and Julian Burnside can feel good about themselves

"How could they call the fuzz on this nice man?"

\

art-greens-20fight-620x349.jpg
Pretty sure I saw that slag down Rundle St last night. Would have had a few words to her if it was a little later in the night

Um... I'm a leftie and I think it's disgusting. Should Australia deport him? Seeing how it's his third offence and he doesn't hold Australian citizenship there's an argument to be made for it.
You have to admit that the Left would be livid if this was a non Australian priest.

This is not a case of special treatment or protection but rather not enough special treatment. Rightly or wrongly our law/western law in general has always required proof beyond reasonable doubt of both actus reus (the guilty act) and mens rea. (guilty mind) For a defendant to be found guilty it must be proved the defendant did the act as well as knew what they were doing was wrong. It would appear in this case the mens rea was seen to be lacking or tricky to prove, this making it hard to secure a 'just' conviction according to Australian law. For this to be fixed special provisions would have to be made along racial or cultural grounds, something hard to do as our constitution generally frowns against it.

While this is a failure of the law and will probably be soon addressed and fixed in some way, it hardly points to the islamification of anywhere or special treatment of any kind. These sorts of problems have always existed due to the nature of liberal democracy and will continue to do so as long as we abide by a constitution declaring equal rights.

Ironically for you, the introduction of a form of sharia law in special circumstances such as these would result in more convictions, as sentencing recommendation is left to the family of the plaintiff once the guilt of the defendant is established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qisas

What? That's bullshit, the offender lied about he's where abouts and denied contact with his second victim.

There's a vast difference in the way mens rea is applied and how it's described, mens rea is for those who don't have the capacity to realise what they did was wrong.

Have you ever heard the term ignorance of the law is no excuse?

According to your terms for mens rea half of all laws would never be enforced because most people are not only ignorant of the regulations they don't believe they did anything wrong.

Additionally he lied to police about his whereabouts, lied about contact with at least one of his victims.

So a mens rea defence doesn't stack. And * off any form of sharia law this country has separation for church and state for a reason, don't agree with western laws then don't move to a western country.

What's next? Christian fundies being allowed to get away with manslaughter because they don't believe in "science" and "medicine"?

If you're a refugee, straight back to where you came from your first serious offence. If only it was reasonable to send other rapists with them.

The media's non-disclosure of refugees crimes is an epidemic. The only time a criminals ethinicity is "outed" is when its a caucasion. Political correctness wins again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a price well worth paying so Sarah Hanson-Young and Julian Burnside can feel good about themselves

"How could they call the fuzz on this nice man?"

\

art-greens-20fight-620x349.jpg

what are horrible image. I want leadership and strength from my community leaders not actors or people who can't control their emotions.

The media's non-disclosure of refugees crimes is an epidemic. The only time a criminals ethinicity is "outed" is when its a caucasion. Political correctness wins again

not completely true.

"dark skinned" is terminology used to describe aboriginals and "fair skinned" for caucasians and "middle eastern" or "Asian" and "african decent" to describe crime in WA news.

but I have not heard the disclosure of previous refugee status. I guess once they are citizens their past is irrelevant but may be it could be a useful bit of information but how would news groups gain this information?

I wonder if it is more appropriate for a government department to disclose stats to the public and used for appropriate allocation resources of education, welfare, policing and health.

If you're a refugee, straight back to where you came from your first serious offence. If only it was reasonable to send other rapists with them.
Agree with that. When they commit a serious offence, what they're running away from or what persecution they would face on return is irrelevant - by their actions, they have proved that Australia cannot provide protection for them and instead requires protection from them.
If convicted of a crime carrying a jail sentence of more than 12 months, revoking of refugee status and deportation should be automatic.

Agree with that. When they commit a serious offence, what they're running away from or what persecution they would face on return is irrelevant - by their actions, they have proved that Australia cannot provide protection for them and instead requires protection from them.
If convicted of a crime carrying a jail sentence of more than 12 months, revoking of refugee status and deportation should be automatic.
This. Our main duty is to protect our own citizens.

If it's good enough to deport kiwis, then it's good enough to deport refugee's.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/almost-400-kiwis-deported-aussie-in-five-years-5431230

Rejected

New Zealanders deported from Australia for failing a character test (including anyone sentenced to more than 12 months in jail):

2007-08: 58
2008-09: 67
2009-10: 33
2010-11: 91
2011-12: 100
July 2012-Dec 2012: 50

TOTAL: 399
Of course it's okay to deport Kiwis. Most of them are white and similar to us.

Things like this and three-strikes laws just cause more problems than they solve.

http://www.law.stanford.edu/organiz...rd-three-strikes-project/three-strikes-basics

These offenders become more desperate to escape if caught a third time. Police casualties are higher.

They are just mandatory sentencing and break the separation of powers. Do you really want to break the very system you believe needs protecting?

These issues require thought and sober judgement, not lynch mobs.

Things like this and three-strikes laws just cause more problems than they solve.

http://www.law.stanford.edu/organiz...rd-three-strikes-project/three-strikes-basics

These offenders become more desperate to escape if caught a third time. Police casualties are higher.

They are just mandatory sentencing and break the separation of powers. Do you really want to break the very system you believe needs protecting?

These issues require thought and sober judgement, not lynch mobs.

Agree, absolute, fixed, one size fits all punishments aren't a good idea, but at the same time having solid guidelines reduces judgement calls, making for more consistency and less potential for abuse (discrimination?). We have 'points systems' for immigration, setting up bank accounts, driving licences (and their removal) etc etc etc, why not for revoking refugee status? (in that case I'd have points 'earned' lead to a compulsory review, but anyway)

I think refugee status should be regularly reviewed, with 'good' factors (learning the language, gaining useful skills, getting a job & integrating into the broader society) being considered a step toward permanent residency & citizenship, negative factors (like criminal convictions) being factors to revoking said status...I'd also add relevant 'neutral' factors, such as changes in their homeland/the reason they fled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back