Analysis Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale douses any hope of an Alex Rance return

Remove this Banner Ad

Gas, Andy and Duncan K, all in the same backline !!great competitors, but as a bad a backline I’ve seen re delivery by foot

Rancey well and truly had them covered
I watched the Dreamtime game from 2005 the other day. Forgot how bad a kick Mark Graham was, looked like it was going to miss his foot every time! Shocking stuff

"head strong individual with an evangelical self-belief"

That's one hell of a back handed compliment, or is that a flowery insult? Hard to know.
Translation = Hes an arrogant campaigner who does whatever he wants

Close your eyes.

Richmond premiership defender Alex Rance considers coming out of retirement through VFL
Premiership Tiger Alex Rance is pulling on the boots this weekend in a surprise move that will fuel speculation about whether the gun defender can still compete at AFL level.

Jay ClarkExclusive

Retired Richmond premiership hero Alex Rance is considering making a shock comeback to football in Essendon’s VFL team this weekend.
The Bombers have been in talks with Rance, 31, about pulling the boots back on as a top-up player in their depleted reserves side to help their developing young players.
While Rance is yet to confirm his availability, the Bombers are hopeful he will run out in red and black against Southport on Sunday on the Gold Coast.
His great relationship with coach Ben Rutten is a key factor for Rance who, at this stage, does not have any plans to enter the draft or rejoin AFL ranks next season.
Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Former Richmond star [PLAYERCARD]Alex Rance[/PLAYERCARD] could be a surprise inclusion for Essendon in the VFL this weekend. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images

Former Richmond star Alex Rance could be a surprise inclusion for Essendon in the VFL this weekend. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images
Rather, Rance is currently holidaying in Queensland and has indicated a desire to suit up for the VFL team if it helps Rutten and some of their developing young players on a fill-in basis.
Essendon is aware Rance has no intention to make a comeback to AFL level through the draft or otherwise for 2022.
Regardless, it will be a major boost to the Bombers’ VFL team and a considerable thrill for the emerging young players who could line-up alongside him on Sunday.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics
Injuries to key players including veteran backman Michael Hurley have dealt a significant blow to Essendon’s depth, but the senior team has defied all odds this season slipping into the eight after an immensely successful draft and trade period.
The sight of Rance stepping out in the VFL will still fuel speculation about whether superstar defender could compete at the top level if he wanted to, after retiring suddenly in 2019.
Dustin Martin and Rance celebrate with fans after winning the 2017 Grand Final.

The out-of-the-blue call to step out for Essendon this weekend is one of the biggest shocks of the season which hangs by a thread due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and border closures.
Essendon has moved to Queensland and is based in Noosa in preparation for this weekend’s game against GWS Giants and next weekend against Sydney Swans.
Rance was one of the best players in the game when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the opening round of the 2019 season.
The five time All-Australian and dual best-and-fairest winner tried to make a comeback in time to bolster Richmond’s premiership tilt that season but fell short in his recovery and retired on 200 games.
There was speculation Rance would consider a return to AFL level after a short break but the former Tiger has been adamant he is happy in retirement.
He played for Seymour Lions in a game against Mansfield in the Goulburn Valley League in May and said he enjoyed playing alongside a close friend.
“I never thought I would really play anywhere but Ben Clifton (Seymour captain) is a good mate of mine and we thought we would have a kick together,” Rance said.
“It was more fun than anything else.”
If he does go through with the game on Sunday, all eyes will be on the gun centre half back in the match-up against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve.
Rance has a strong relationship with [PLAYERCARD]Ben Rutten[/PLAYERCARD], which explains the Essendon connection.

Rance has a strong relationship with Ben Rutten, which explains the Essendon connection.
It is certain to attract intrigue across the league and particularly at Richmond which gave Rance its full blessing to step away from the game in surprising circumstances when he was at the peak of his powers.
The Bombers have maintained close contact with Rance through Rutten, who coached the brilliant defender to the 2017 premiership before Rutten was poached by Essendon.
Rance has lauded the impact Rutten had on his career, helping the athletic rebounding backman transform into a cornerstone of the Tigers’ premiership defence.
Rutten has thrived in charge of the Bombers this season with top draftees Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zach Reid laying the foundation for a bright future which has helped secure the signatures of out-of-contract stars Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish and Jake Stringer.

Close your eyes.

Richmond premiership defender Alex Rance considers coming out of retirement through VFL
Premiership Tiger Alex Rance is pulling on the boots this weekend in a surprise move that will fuel speculation about whether the gun defender can still compete at AFL level.

Jay ClarkExclusive

Retired Richmond premiership hero Alex Rance is considering making a shock comeback to football in Essendon’s VFL team this weekend.
The Bombers have been in talks with Rance, 31, about pulling the boots back on as a top-up player in their depleted reserves side to help their developing young players.
While Rance is yet to confirm his availability, the Bombers are hopeful he will run out in red and black against Southport on Sunday on the Gold Coast.
His great relationship with coach Ben Rutten is a key factor for Rance who, at this stage, does not have any plans to enter the draft or rejoin AFL ranks next season.
Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Former Richmond star Alex Rance could be a surprise inclusion for Essendon in the VFL this weekend. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images

Rather, Rance is currently holidaying in Queensland and has indicated a desire to suit up for the VFL team if it helps Rutten and some of their developing young players on a fill-in basis.
Essendon is aware Rance has no intention to make a comeback to AFL level through the draft or otherwise for 2022.
Regardless, it will be a major boost to the Bombers’ VFL team and a considerable thrill for the emerging young players who could line-up alongside him on Sunday.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics
Injuries to key players including veteran backman Michael Hurley have dealt a significant blow to Essendon’s depth, but the senior team has defied all odds this season slipping into the eight after an immensely successful draft and trade period.
The sight of Rance stepping out in the VFL will still fuel speculation about whether superstar defender could compete at the top level if he wanted to, after retiring suddenly in 2019.

The out-of-the-blue call to step out for Essendon this weekend is one of the biggest shocks of the season which hangs by a thread due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and border closures.
Essendon has moved to Queensland and is based in Noosa in preparation for this weekend’s game against GWS Giants and next weekend against Sydney Swans.
Rance was one of the best players in the game when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the opening round of the 2019 season.
The five time All-Australian and dual best-and-fairest winner tried to make a comeback in time to bolster Richmond’s premiership tilt that season but fell short in his recovery and retired on 200 games.
There was speculation Rance would consider a return to AFL level after a short break but the former Tiger has been adamant he is happy in retirement.
He played for Seymour Lions in a game against Mansfield in the Goulburn Valley League in May and said he enjoyed playing alongside a close friend.
“I never thought I would really play anywhere but Ben Clifton (Seymour captain) is a good mate of mine and we thought we would have a kick together,” Rance said.
“It was more fun than anything else.”
If he does go through with the game on Sunday, all eyes will be on the gun centre half back in the match-up against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve.
Rance has a strong relationship with Ben Rutten, which explains the Essendon connection.

It is certain to attract intrigue across the league and particularly at Richmond which gave Rance its full blessing to step away from the game in surprising circumstances when he was at the peak of his powers.
The Bombers have maintained close contact with Rance through Rutten, who coached the brilliant defender to the 2017 premiership before Rutten was poached by Essendon.
Rance has lauded the impact Rutten had on his career, helping the athletic rebounding backman transform into a cornerstone of the Tigers’ premiership defence.
Rutten has thrived in charge of the Bombers this season with top draftees Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zach Reid laying the foundation for a bright future which has helped secure the signatures of out-of-contract stars Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish and Jake Stringer.

Surely he would have to realise that coming back to play for Essendon would be totally crapping in the hands of those supporters who supported and celebrated him. I understand that its his life and he can do what he pleases, but he has got to realise the damaging impact this would have on his legacy at our club & its people. The timing of it also it horrendous, has literally done this as the clubs great era ends. At surface level, this really just seems to be an insult to the fans and the club overall. Once you also consider that the full story of why he came back never leaked from the club or the playing group never happened, it does appear everyone was very loyal to him. One thing is for sure, if he came back to Essendon he better expect that story to come out in full - the gloves would be off. And as supporters, we do deserve to actually know wtf happened to why he has deflected so badly, I am kinda sick of the club acting like we do not have a right to know stuff - they literally had 100,000 people last year pay for memberships without seeing a game - that level of support and trust is a 2 way street. It would definitely make the Higgins story seem more plausible seeing both continue their careers elsewhere within 2 years of the story

I think Rance needs to re-pick up his bible and ask himself - was Judas the good guy? As a supporter it really underlines to me why we should never love these guys unconditionally. They days of players being loyal are well and truely over. We are getting closer and closer to that NBA model..... me, me, me, me, me. Except for Giannis, that guy is a 1 in a million

Last edited:
Surely he would have to realise that coming back to play for Essendon would be totally crapping in the hands of those supporters who supported and celebrated him. I understand that its his life and he can do what he pleases, but he has got to realise the damaging impact this would have on his legacy at our club & its people. The timing of it also it horrendous, has literally done this as the clubs great era ends. At surface level, this really just seems to be an insult to the fans and the club overall. Once you also consider that the full story of why he came back never leaked from the club or the playing group never happened, it does appear everyone was very loyal to him. One thing is for sure, if he came back to Essendon he better expect that story to come out in full - the gloves would be off. And as supporters, we do deserve to actually know wtf happened to why he has deflected so badly, I am kinda sick of the club acting like we do not have a right to know stuff - they literally had 100,000 people last year pay for memberships without seeing a game - that level of support and trust is a 2 way street. It would definitely make the Higgins story seem more plausible seeing both continue their careers elsewhere within 2 years of the story

I think Rance needs to re-pick up his bible and ask himself - was Judas the good guy? As a supporter it really underlines to me why we should never love these guys unconditionally. They days of players being loyal are well and truely over. We are getting closer and closer to that NBA model..... me, me, me, me, me. Except for Giannis, that guy is a 1 in a million

We got his best years at senior level. He’d be a shell of the player he once was with age and the time out of the game.

plus he wouldn’t have Grimes, Astbury, Tigger and Houli around him. They were such a good defence because of the unit. They don’t have players at that level at the bombers.

He can do what he wants. Will always be a legend of the club

We got his best years at senior level. He’d be a shell of the player he once was with age and the time out of the game.

plus he wouldn’t have Grimes, Astbury, Tigger and Houli around him. They were such a good defence because of the unit. They don’t have players at that level at the bombers.

He can do what he wants. Will always be a legend of the club

He can do what he wants, but he would not be a legend of our club is he comes back to the scum.

Legends of our club are Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett, Michael Roach, Royce Hart, Matthew Knights, Matthew Richardson, Trent Cotchin

1 team, 1 legacy.

Rance would be slightly behind Darren Gaspar & Scott Turner for me. Scotty laid out scummy campaigners, not buddied up with them.

The title of Tiger Legend is not one given lightly, i take insult at the idea that people think he could come back to the scum and still even be considered for such a title

He can do what he wants, but he would not be a legend of our club is he comes back to the scum.

Legends of our club are Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett, Michael Roach, Royce Hart, Matthew Knights, Matthew Richardson, Trent Cotchin

1 team, 1 legacy.

Rance would be slightly behind Darren Gaspar & Scott Turner for me. Scotty laid out scummy campaigners, not buddied up with them.

The title of Tiger Legend is not one given lightly, i take insult at the idea that people think he could come back to the scum and still even be considered for such a title
Don't forget JR8

Rance was better than both of those players.

Gaspar couldn't even kick the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't care one iota if he suits up with Essendon VFL. Mates with Rutten, Essendon VFL could do with an old head, they are sitting 19th place on the ladder. If some young kids get a kick out of it what is the harm. Crapping on supporters, impacting on his legacy, seriously. He's retired and 31 years old and gave his all for the club. Have fun while you are at it.

Rance was better than both of those players.

Gaspar couldn't even kick the ball.

What i wrote was IF he returned to play for the Scum at AFL level. I don't think his career as it stands has him close to being a "immortal" for the RFC either way

He might be a better player, but neither of those 2 blokes put us through the s**t he did when he retired and then came back to play for the scum. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Couldn't care one iota if he suits up with Essendon VFL. Mates with Rutten, Essendon VFL could do with an old head, they are sitting 19th place on the ladder. If some young kids get a kick out of it what is the harm. Crapping on supporters, impacting on his legacy, seriously. He's retired and 31 years old and gave his all for the club. Have fun while you are at it.

Me neither, my "outrage" is based on IF he returned to AFL for another club, especially the scum, surely you agree that would be a pretty low act. I don;t know about you but i am not interested in playing the role of a supportive cuckold to Alex Rance. The way he quit on the club showed a fair lack of understanding and appreciation to the club and its supporters i thought, any damage his "legacy" has copped has been completely his own fault.

His "legacy" with the club is not owned by him - its owned by US. Players come and go, but us supporters are where your legacy lives as we are the only constant. If you crap in our hands, then we will wipe it on your legacy, its that simple. To compare him to the lifers like Dyer, Richo etc - thats an insult to them. Much like Waybe Carey's legacy at Nth Melbourne - it can be vanquished very quickly if you disrespect the club, supporters, teammates etc.

You say "31" like that is old for a backmen, he could very well come back and play for 5 more years, especially with 3 full years of rest under his belt. Dustin Fletch played till he was 40 and continued to do so at a very high level. Half the best FF's in the league at the moment are actually older than him - Riewoldt, Walker, Hawkins, Dixon, J.Kennedy, Buddy, Hooker - all the same age or older. The 3 years out of the game is not a negative to him if he has remained relatively fit

Last edited:

This is a pathetic post. Rance is - and always will be - a LEGEND of our club. He owes us nothing. Playing for two clubs wont destroy any legacy and he left us with good grace and our defence in excellent shape, largely built of what he did for them and their careers. I would have absolutely no problems him playing for Essendon. Calling him Judas is a disgrace.

This is a pathetic post. Rance is - and always will be - a LEGEND of our club. He owes us nothing. Playing for two clubs wont destroy any legacy and he left us with good grace and our defence in excellent shape, largely built of what he did for them and their careers. I would have absolutely no problems him playing for Essendon. Calling him Judas is a disgrace.

Not sure why he would go to Essendon.

I assume he is helping the lower level using connections with Rutten and others but who knows what he wants. I hope the best for him

* off he is a legend of the club. He is a great player for sure, but legend? gimme a break. Dude quit and walked out on the club and supporters overnight. Did not respect either. Dimma, Benny, Trent - none of them could hide their bemusement, disappointment and confusion at his decision and the way he chose to handle it.

Just because we are winning flags does not mean we hand out the legend status to everyone involved. Grimes is more of a legend to this club & I don't rate Grimes as an "Immortal" or legend either.

In my years supporting Richmond only Richo, Knights, Riewoldt, Dusty, Cotchin, Dimma, Gale are considered "Legends". Alex Rance could have gotten there but he quit too early and handled it so poorly he didn't.

As i wrote, literally 1 week ago - Rance has the doorway sitting there for him to comeback right now and claim that status of "Tiger Legend". Now was the exact right time for him to return - a reunion in 2022 with Jr8 Trent before it all ends. He still does. But, if he ended up coming back for the Bombers, * no he gets that right - what the hell is wrong with you mate,? Ask any Lions supporter if Mal Michael's reputation was damaged when he turncoated on them to go to the Bombers as their dynasty ended, it 100% ruined his legacy with the club

Last edited:
fu** off he is a legend of the club. He is a great player for sure, but legend? gimme a break. Dude quit and walked out on the club and supporters overnight. Did not respect either.

Just because we are winning flags does not mean we hand out the legend status to everyone involved. Grimes is more of a legend to this club & I don't rate Grimes as an "Immortal".

Riewoldt, Dusty, Cotchin, Dimma, Gale, VB_longneck - 6 legends of the club. Alex, nope

EFA :)

Rance was/is in the running for GOAT KPD. For Richmond Football Club. He's got a premiership medal, for the Tigers. He is a genuine all time star. I'll always be grateful for that. I will always have him as a Tiger legend of the modern era. Maybe of all time.

If he plays for the Bombers 2nds, Ok that's his decision. If he comes back to the AFL I wonder if the Tigers would pick him up, or would try to build our youth. He's not along term AFL prospect anymore. He doesn't owe us, we owe him for what he did at the club when it needed a lot of help and leadership.

fu** off he is a legend of the club. He is a great player for sure, but legend? gimme a break. Dude quit and walked out on the club and supporters overnight. Did not respect either. Dimma, Benny, Trent - none of them could hide their bemusement, disappointment and confusion at his decision and the way he chose to handle it.

Just because we are winning flags does not mean we hand out the legend status to everyone involved. Grimes is more of a legend to this club & I don't rate Grimes as an "Immortal" or legend either.

In my years supporting Richmond only Richo, Knights, Riewoldt, Dusty, Cotchin, Dimma, Gale are considered "Legends". Alex Rance could have gotten there but he quit too early and handled it so poorly he didn't.

As i wrote, literally 1 week ago - Rance has the doorway sitting there for him to comeback right now and claim that status of "Tiger Legend". Now was the exact right time for him to return - a reunion in 2022 with Jr8 Trent before it all ends. He still does. But, if he ended up coming back for the Bombers, fu** no he gets that right - what the hell is wrong with you mate,? Ask any Lions supporter if Mal Michael's reputation was damaged when he turncoated on them to go to the Bombers as their dynasty ended, it 100% ruined his legacy with the club
He should have consulted 'the fans' about his marriage breakup, he might have been a bit all over the shop and some of his fans could have set him straight.
Great player, great bloke, he owes us nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back