Richmond Vs Melbourne, NAB Challenge 3, Etihad Stadium 7.10pm 14/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Just caught the replay. Yes it's only the first preseason game of the year but Melbourne supporters can and should take a lot of positive away from that game. You are now playing with not only genuine heart and effort but a real honest AFL quality game plan. The players seemed to know exactly how and where they were supposed to be moving the ball. Was great to watch.

In terms of specifics JKH looked great, Michie and Tyson look like very solid pickups through the midfield and had almost forgotten how damn classy Bernie Vince was. Onya Melbourne, you deserve it.

People are reading way too much into this

Didn't people learn from Brisbane winning the nab cup last year and Hawthorn going without a win? Absolutely meaningless, if they can produce round 1 then they should get praise.
Heard you the first time. Maybe you should go for a third and people will think, "gee, that blaze fella is right! Why are we even discussing this?"

What part of "it's about the way they played" are you not getting? Ability to hit targets, chasing, tackling, hard running...these things are suddenly meaningless in pre-season?

Fantastic and entertaining game, congratulations to both sides for the right mix of youth/experience so we had a balanced game.
I just finished watching the replay (Foxtel, hard drive recorder). I watched the first half after getting home from a function last night and enjoyed it so much I was annoyed I was getting too tired to watch until the end. Game in the balance until that spectacular shank across the ground by the Richmond kid (?) with minutes to go so Kennedy-Harris could just run onto it. Even then Richmond almost ran him down.
Lots of mistakes and skill errors from both sides but just so much fun to watch. :thumbsu:

Fantastic and entertaining game, congratulations to both sides for the right mix of youth/experience so we had a balanced game.
I just finished watching the replay (Foxtel, hard drive recorder). I watched the first half after getting home from a function last night and enjoyed it so much I was annoyed I was getting too tired to watch until the end. Game in the balance until that spectacular shank across the ground by the Richmond kid (?) with minutes to go so Kennedy-Harris could just run onto it. Even then Richmond almost ran him down.
Lots of mistakes and skill errors from both sides but just so much fun to watch. :thumbsu:

Agreed. Two out of three quality NAB cup games ain't bad.

Heard you the first time. Maybe you should go for a third and people will think, "gee, that blaze fella is right! Why are we even discussing this?"

What part of "it's about the way they played" are you not getting? Ability to hit targets, chasing, tackling, hard running...these things are suddenly meaningless in pre-season?

It definitely us some hope that we may not be complete s**t and we had no rucks/tall forwards in other than Spencer and the King kid (who did well) but realistically Richmond were going at about 80% while we were going hell for leather and it seemed we were playing our "first team" mids more through the middle while they were getting some run into the legs of Cotchin, Deledio, Martin. I'm happy with the effort/game plan/confidence the guys showed but realistically it will all be forgotten if we put in a stinker in round 1. Playing the Saints without McEvoy, Dal Santo, Milne & Montagna from last year I'll be very disappointed if we don't win that.

Not meaningless when it's your own team :) Smile and enjoy what you saw last night..you can only take it as it comes one week at a time and Melbourne played a very nice brand of footy this week, next week who knows! Screw anyone bagging you out..they have forgotten what sport is actually about..especially for supporters who have suffered and eaten shite for so so long! The Dees have been so badly developed and coached for so long, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel some happiness for the players last night..they showed hope and desire..not to mention skills! :D

Not meaningless when it's your own team :) Smile and enjoy what you saw last night..you can only take it as it comes one week at a time and Melbourne played a very nice brand of footy this week, next week who knows! Screw anyone bagging you out..they have forgotten what sport is actually about..especially for supporters who have suffered and eaten shite for so so long! The Dees have been so badly developed and coached for so long, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel some happiness for the players last night..they showed hope and desire..not to mention skills! :D
I reckon you've got a bit of Demon in your blood, Woosh. Just sayin. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you've got a bit of Demon in your blood, Woosh. Just sayin. :D
If my blood wasn't blue and gold..who knows :) Funnily enough, Melbourne do seem to be the only other club besides the Eagles I give a toss about..no idea why.

If my blood wasn't blue and gold..who knows :) Funnily enough, Melbourne do seem to be the only other club besides the Eagles I give a toss about..no idea why.
I've noticed. I'm sure being woefully s**t has had something to do with it. People, Aussies especially, love an underdog.

Just buy a membership and be done with it. :p

It definitely us some hope that we may not be complete s**t and we had no rucks/tall forwards in other than Spencer and the King kid (who did well) but realistically Richmond were going at about 80% while we were going hell for leather and it seemed we were playing our "first team" mids more through the middle while they were getting some run into the legs of Cotchin, Deledio, Martin. I'm happy with the effort/game plan/confidence the guys showed but realistically it will all be forgotten if we put in a stinker in round 1. Playing the Saints without McEvoy, Dal Santo, Milne & Montagna from last year I'll be very disappointed if we don't win that.

Nice to see some balance. This thread has become more sensible after the inevitable tidal wave of schadenfreud.

As a Tiger supporter, while the loss annoyed me mightily last night, I don't read anything much into it. Whereas I think the win means something for Melbourne for the reasons people have said. Rance had a shocker. As did Ellis. Cotch and Lids both had disposals in the teens (I çan't remember that happening before). Martin wasn't being started in the middle during bounces as Dimma wanted to use the game teaching him his new halfback role. And yet we still won the clearances. Hampson rucked well. Vickery did well. And these are the two players we most need to step up (for structural reasons). We might have found a player in Miles as well.

I've noticed. I'm sure being woefully s**t has had something to do with it. People, Aussies especially, love an underdog.

Just buy a membership and be done with it. :p
Underdog is a crap term..like a charity case, which I reckon you guys have had enough of being seen as. As I said cant explain it, I just like them and would LOVE to see the day come when you stick it up everyone.

I would say neutral, don't get me wrong, well done to Melbourne the supporters deserve to start the season on a positive note, I am not bad mouthing Melbourne here.

Silly if they were in neutral: Don't really have control of their speed and need to rely on only their brakes for control. I mean I guess they're burning slightly less fuel but the savings don't really seem worth the risk of damaging their brakes or transmission if they were to engage the drive gear.

...I may have misread this metaphor.

It was a practice match. I get it, and so do almost all Dees supporters. None of us are booking seats for the finals based on it, and I'm sure that the Richmond coaching staff aren't drinking the purple kool-aid just yet. They would be looking at all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the scoreboard and everything to do with plans none of us are privy to.

But, geez, it was nice to see a team play for each other and with a plan. That's why we are happy. That's why we celebrated like we'd just won a flag. We've been force fed manure by the truckload over the last couple of years, and we've watched a team that looked either confused or disinterested during that time. Is it such a bad thing for us to enjoy a night where neither of those things happened, and where the game of football became something that was watchable for us and didn't involve 80+ minutes of pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back