Analysis Rise From Your Grave! The 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just the reality we have to face being one of the small drawing away teams. As mic59 pointed out, we were often scheduled at Footy Park in the SANFL days because we were the big fish at the time. I suppose the only way to change this is to increase the fanbase/membership numbers outside SA but that is a lot easier said than done.
We may not be likely to draw many of our supporters to home and away games at the G but the total attendance in most cases should be pretty good. And when you think that last year there were 19 games at the G that drew less than 40000 it is difficult to see what argument is used to keep us off the G. In fact last year there were 3 games there with an attendance below 20000 and 5 with an attendance between 20000 and 30000. GWS played there three times and drew a total 53039 spectators.

We may not be likely to draw many of our supporters to home and away games at the G but the total attendance in most cases should be pretty good. And when you think that last year there were 19 games at the G that drew less than 40000 it is difficult to see what argument is used to keep us off the G. In fact last year there were 3 games there with an attendance below 20000 and 5 with an attendance between 20000 and 30000. GWS played there three times and drew a total 53039 spectators.
Last five Port H&A games at the G:

R19 2014 v Collingwood - 32,804 (48,009 average)
R1 2013 v Melbourne - 22,924 (21,816 average)
R23 2012 v Richmond - 27,893 (41,318 average)
R21 2011 v Hawthorn - 27,532 (48,167 average)
R11 2010 v Hawthorn - 21,287 (50,278 average)

Whether you like it or not, we don't draw well at the MCG. I'm fairly sure most of those games you mentioned that pulled less than 30,000 would have involved the Demons and/or GWS. I think they are playing GWS at the MCG for different reasons and will wear the poor attendances for the benefits it will give a new club. There is really no benefit to playing us at the MCG when we almost always pull less than Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond's average. There are many more attractive options when it comes to scheduling MCG games and this is something we have to get used to. It won't change until we draw better interstate.

Last five Port H&A games at the G:

R19 2014 v Collingwood - 32,804 (48,009 average)
R1 2013 v Melbourne - 22,924 (21,816 average)
R23 2012 v Richmond - 27,893 (41,318 average)
R21 2011 v Hawthorn - 27,532 (48,167 average)
R11 2010 v Hawthorn - 21,287 (50,278 average)

Whether you like it or not, we don't draw well at the MCG. I'm fairly sure most of those games you mentioned that pulled less than 30,000 would have involved the Demons and/or GWS. I think they are playing GWS at the MCG for different reasons and will wear the poor attendances for the benefits it will give a new club. There is really no benefit to playing us at the MCG when we almost always pull less than Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond's average. There are many more attractive options when it comes to scheduling MCG games and this is something we have to get used to. It won't change until we draw better interstate.
It really gets my goat that the AFL will bend over backwards to try and give a new club who never should have been there in the first place a leg up just because that club is their baby. I find it difficult to understand why all our games don't draw. Hawthorn and Richmond have plenty of supporters themselves so the crowds around the 25000 figure just don't seem to add up. Sure we had some really bad years but even when we were winning they never turned up. You'd think that now everyone is talking us up as flavour of the month fans would be flocking to our matches. We'd get 50000 to Collingwood at AO and they've got a much larger membership so why don't we get the same at the MCG?

The only non-final game with an attendance over 50000 was the first in 1997 and there was a large Port presence, also the first game would have had a bit of extra bite.

It really gets my goat that the AFL will bend over backwards to try and give a new club who never should have been there in the first place a leg up just because that club is their baby. I find it difficult to understand why all our games don't draw. Hawthorn and Richmond have plenty of supporters themselves so the crowds around the 25000 figure just don't seem to add up. Sure we had some really bad years but even when we were winning they never turned up. You'd think that now everyone is talking us up as flavour of the month fans would be flocking to our matches. We'd get 50000 to Collingwood at AO and they've got a much larger membership so why don't we get the same at the MCG?

The only non-final game with an attendance over 50000 was the first in 1997 and there was a large Port presence, also the first game would have had a bit of extra bite.
That's the Melbourne market for you. Port Adelaide doesn't appeal to Victorians where as Collingwood does appeal to South Australians.

We just have to try our best to grow the fan base outside of SA.

That's the Melbourne market for you. Port Adelaide doesn't appeal to Victorians where as Collingwood does appeal to South Australians.

We just have to try our best to grow the fan base outside of SA.
The unspoken, dirty little secret in all of this is that Vic fans are, for the most part, a fickle bunch, much more so than SA or WA fans in my opinion.

They believe their own publicity and are mesmerised by the concept of "blockbusters". They fail to understand that hype is no substitute for quality.

The unspoken, dirty little secret in all of this is that Vic fans are, for the most part, a fickle bunch, much more so than SA or WA fans in my opinion.

They believe their own publicity and are mesmerised by the concept of "blockbusters". They fail to understand that hype is no substitute for quality.
If the AFL were to give us a decent opponent in a decent timeslot at the G (eg Hawthorn on a Saturday night), surely that would attract a bumper crowd, given the way both sides have been playing.

In the relatively short time that SA has been involved in the AFL I have witnessed quite a few below-par "blockbusters". Usually involving two of Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond. Port Adelaide and Norwood rarely if ever put on a non-competitive match wherever they were on the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back