Autopsy Roast & toast vs Suns & changes for West Coast round 8

Best vs Suns

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see any of the 2s game on Sunday? Wondering how Biggie and Bauer went.
Miller needs a rest.
I’m a big Sonsie fan but left his heart in the changing room on Sunday, can you reward that effort with selection this week!
he needs a block of time. just like ross and dow.

Did you see his pre match interview. He was all cocky as if we were going to kill it. Sorry I’m not buying into your argument.
we were all hurting after the match. Why couldn’t Dimma get the best or more out of them as if was it like nobody gave a damn all game. . It hasn’t just been one poor second half all season and the first half was embarrassing as well. If he hasn,t identified all our basic skill errors then he’s not fully invested.

Spot on mate.
We were worse in the first half.
Had we played Collingwood, Melbourne or Brissie, or even a moderately competitive team like GWS or Freo we would have been 10 goals down at half time.
We manufactured about 10 minutes of decent footy all day.

I wouldn’t go down that path with Miller, he’s never going to make it as a forward, they tried him there for some VFL games in 21 and he had no idea.
May as well try Bauer, at least he attacks the ball in the air. It may be asking too much of him to play that 2nd kpf, at AFL level, but he’ll have a crack. We’ve probably played Ryan before he’s ready and that’s out ok
I have watched/followed a lot of VFL and have never seen or read the review of Miller play more than a half forward, and he was pretty good. He did not score at all in 2021, so not so sure he played forward.

I mostly agree with you in regard to Miller, but have never seen him given the prime role as a leading forward. If that fails, which it is quite likely, then Bauer, but why is he playing back?

I have watched/followed a lot of VFL and have never seen or read the review of Miller play more than a half forward, and he was pretty good. He did not score at all in 2021, so not so sure he played forward.

I mostly agree with you in regard to Miller, but have never seen him given the prime role as a leading forward. If that fails, which it is quite likely, then Bauer, but why is he playing back?
Definitely trialled in the forward line but I may have my year wrong. I’ll revisit that later tonight, apologies if I’ve given misleading information.
I want every player on our list to succeed but honestly I’ve put a line through Miller. The only thing saving him is our injuries to kpp. Having watched a lot of VFL like yourself, I’ve never seen him impose himself on a game, he’s played some solid football, but even at VFL level gets beaten far to easily in aerial contests.
If he had Nanks mindset or JRs attack in the air he’d be an option at AFL level because he has size and athleticism

Not exactly sure re the logic behind Bauer, maybe just adding more strings to his bow. Definitely think he’d be a better option as a 3rd tall. Gibcus gets that 3rd kpd rôle imo until he establishes himself and puts on the size to play as a genuine kpd

We are too slow up forward particularly.
Jack is still a good player but he was easily beaten and was led to the ball all game and then had to chase tail around which he cannot do to quick defenders these days. Adding Ryan makes us slower, adding Cotchin even more so. They waltzed it out of our backline.

We are not quick through the middle, but there are plenty of good players in there so we are matching most teams up to a point. We have had to push our most dangerous small forward Bolton into the middle far more to get some real extraction. Dusty is slowly getting his mojo up, but it's getting sort of late.

The move of Pickett into the midfield looks like a good move. He is quick and hard. Dow is worth a shot as well. Short was good in there but he is good everywhere. We really need to add some speed. I know Hugo divides posters but he is worth a shot on the wing for a few games to see if he is any good. He is in and out of the side constantly so it is really hard to preform like that knowing every errant kick might send you back to the VFL. He needs to be backed.

Cotchin is the very obvious out, but somehow I don't think that will happen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miller play at full forward all game with the ball being directed to him a majority of the time. He is playing so overwhelmed as a ruck, coming up against Gawn, Grundy and Witts in two weeks hasn't helped, but I would like to seem him backed, even for just one game to see if he can actually lead for the ball and jump at it. At the moment he doesn't know if he is Arthur of Martha, and it's mostly Martha. One week to save his career. If not Bauer, who for some inexplicable reason is being played as a back.
Feel for him but Miller isn’t going to be the answer to anything Mate. Play him FF you say? He can’t kick for sh!t for starters and isn’t a good enough mark regardless. And HRS, you’d be kidding, another not up to standard.

Send Miller to defence and try Young forward. Young is a real competitor
He certainly has a crack, but throwing him forward this early in his career? I’m happy to see him develop in that kpd role.

Not a long term solution but Nic Vlastuin has played forward a couple of times in his career and kicked multiple goals. I remember watching him against the Saints or Sydney at Marvel. Good hands and good set shot. Maybe at least worth mixing it up occasionally during a game

Feel for him but Miller isn’t going to be the answer to anything Mate. Play him FF you say? He can’t kick for sh!t for starters and isn’t a good enough mark regardless. And HRS, you’d be kidding, another not up to standard.
I get the Miller thing, but he has never had the chance to really play as a primary forward. It is obviously short term as Lynch will put paid to that, but we are desperate for someone to launch at the ball and Jack just can't do that unless we have good control of the football and his opponent is not great.

His one goal is to mark the ball or bring it to ground, where he is able to run and chase etc. Ryan is a better target but the ball has to be lace out to him and is needed in the ruck. Miller's kicking is a strength around the ground so in theory so he has the technique.

I agree it is wishful thinking but we were hopeless in the air against Gold Coast because we had no moving target in the forward line. As I said, one week and if nothing comes of it, then Bauer who can at least launch at the ball.

I haven't put a line through HRS yet as I have seen some good stuff to go with the bad. Confidence is a big part of footy and he has genuine line breaking speed, so something to work with.

he needs a block of time. just like ross and dow.

Where do you play them all? Taranto and Hopper are pure mids and play high minutes. Dow could go well with them and it certainly worth a crack, but we will be playing Prestia. The other rotating through mids need to be Bolton, Short, Baker, Dusty types. We have Hopper and Taranto there for 7 years, all the players around them must be speedy. There is probably only 1 mid spot for Ross/Dow/Sonsie moving forward and with Prestia there they don't have one at all. SO to play them, they have to be played out of position or very low minutes, then they look terrible anyway, whats the point. If they thought Dow and Ross were the answer they wouldnt have gone so hard at Hopper and Taranto.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the Miller thing, but he has never had the chance to really play as a primary forward. It is obviously short term as Lynch will put paid to that, but we are desperate for someone to launch at the ball and Jack just can't do that unless we have good control of the football and his opponent is not great.

His one goal is to mark the ball or bring it to ground, where he is able to run and chase etc. Ryan is a better target but the ball has to be lace out to him and is needed in the ruck. Miller's kicking is a strength around the ground so in theory so he has the technique.

I agree it is wishful thinking but we were hopeless in the air against Gold Coast because we had no moving target in the forward line. As I said, one week and if nothing comes of it, then Bauer who can at least launch at the ball.

I haven't put a line through HRS yet as I have seen some good stuff to go with the bad. Confidence is a big part of footy and he has genuine line breaking speed, so something to work with.

Ryan is a far better option than Miller, he's also clearly a better option at 2nd ruck, so covers both positions. I agree on HRS, we just dont have many speedy players on the list and need several in the team, Id keep playing him.

Where do you play them all? Taranto and Hopper are pure mids and play high minutes. Dow could go well with them and it certainly worth a crack, but we will be playing Prestia. The other rotating through mids need to be Bolton, Short, Baker, Dusty types. We have Hopper and Taranto there for 7 years, all the players around them must be speedy. There is probably only 1 mid spot for Ross/Dow/Sonsie moving forward and with Prestia there they don't have one at all. SO to play them, they have to be played out of position or very low minutes, then they look terrible anyway, whats the point. If they thought Dow and Ross were the answer they wouldnt have gone so hard at Hopper and Taranto.
Sonsie is out for a spell along with Clarke and Cotchin. Cumberland one more week.
Ross not sure, wasn't the worst.

Prestia will be back.
Bolton and Dusty are our best forwards, so if we can find another mid then they can spend less time in the guts. Both play high half forwards.
Short can stay back. He only went into the middle to spark something and has played back most games.
Baker is Mr. Fix it and can go where needed.

So maybe there is room for Dow in the middle. Pickett also at times.

In: Dow, Ralphsmith, Bauer, Banks
Out: Riewoldt (Rest), Grimes (Rest), Ross, Sonsie, Miller

Centre bounce/midfield rotation of: Hopper, Taranto, Short, Bolton, Pickett, Dow, Martin

BroadYoungVlastuin
RioliBaltaBaker
BanksHopperMcIntosh
BoltonRyanCotchin
CumberlandMartinClarke
SoldoTarantoShort
BauerRalphsmithPickett
DowSub: Mansell

Centre bounce/midfield rotation of: Hopper, Taranto, Short, Bolton, Pickett, Dow, Martin

BroadYoungVlastuin
RioliBaltaBaker
BanksHopperMcIntosh
BoltonRyanCotchin
CumberlandMartinClarke
SoldoTarantoShort
BauerRalphsmithPickett

Prestia and Graham will play this week.

Prestia and Graham will play this week.
I'd give prestia another week off against west coast, save him for geelong just like grimes and riewoldt. Graham since its against west coast we can afford to be overly cautious

BroadYoungVlastuin
RioliBaltaBaker
BanksHopperMcIntosh
BoltonRyanCotchin
CumberlandMartinClarke
SoldoTarantoShort
BauerRalphsmithPickett

This team looks well setup. TBH I don't see us resting Grimes, so maybe Young is in trouble, we def don't need the 4 tall defenders + Vlas. Prestia will surely play so Dow probably won't get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back