Universal Love Robbie Gray appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What a legend, congrats to R Gray. For all the hard work he's had to do since that shocking knee injury, this is a terrific reward for him.

Well done Robbie. The fact he is fitter and stronger than ever has helped, but the best bit is that he slipping over about 1/3rd of what he has in the past.

The great thing is that like Boak, he is only 26 or turns 26 sometime this year. He is only going to get better the next 3 or 4 years.

Just wanted to pass on my congrats to Robbie Gray. On most occasions this year when watching him play I have been thinking "wish he played for us"

Do you wear pants when you watch the footy?

Just asking...

Well done Robbie..

Does anyone have an idea why he was pick 55 in the 2006 draft? injuries? unknown player?

right from his first game his talent was evident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Robbie Gray fantastic this guy is Port Adelaide all over.
Tear it up for the next month and he will put this club in a great place.

Awesome stuff Robbie. Very deserved.

I remember back in 07 when I was just a little Smartys, I instantly feel in love with Gray, Westhoff and Boak. It's great to see how great all of them have become and is now reaping the rewards. :thumbsu:

People who don't watch our games and hear of how Robbie is playing well, will go look for stats to see how he stacks up with other players. Stats may record how many kicks and handballs he had, but won't paint the picture of how he weaved around 3 opposition players while time stood still to handball to a player whose opponent was mesmerised by guessing what was to unfold next, or the quick turning to pass off at 90 degrees, to find a team mate the opposition thought didn't exist, or the standing up in a tackle to handball with the wrong hand to a player forced into space by the balls arc. No, Gray is beyond statistical proof...into a world of breathless half chances that evade mere mortal players. This world is known to players like Gary Ablett and Gary Ablett and Russell Ebert, for example

People who don't watch our games and hear of how Robbie is playing well, will go look for stats to see how he stacks up with other players. Stats may record how many kicks and handballs he had, but won't paint the picture of how he weaved around 3 opposition players while time stood still to handball to a player whose opponent was mesmerised by guessing what was to unfold next, or the quick turning to pass off at 90 degrees, to find a team mate the opposition thought didn't exist, or the standing up in a tackle to handball with the wrong hand to a player forced into space by the balls arc. No, Gray is beyond statistical proof...into a world of breathless half chances that evade mere mortal players. This world is known to players like Gary Ablett and Gary Ablett and Russell Ebert, for example

Yep. Would prefer 10 of Grays touches compared to most players 25+ touches

Do you watch many Geelong matches? Do you notice they win a lot of tight matches?

He is one of the main reasons why. He always lifts when the team needs him. Makes the important tackles, clearances, kicks clutch goals. Despite the playing for free kicks which annoys me to know end, he is an absolute gun.

Hard to overrate a guy with 3 premierships at 26 years of age, won the rising star award in his first year, has one of the highest winning percentages of all time, given captaincy of one of the best teams in history at 23, broke into an extremely talented midfield at 19-20 years of age etc. etc.

Also, he hasn't won a browlow, so yeh, not much else to say

And yet he is currently only 10th in the Coaches Award. So is it unfair to say that the media rate him higher than the coaches do?

Honestly cant get over this. The pickup, the way he just graciously dances past opponents, it's beautiful.

He reminds me of Pendlebury, the way he seems just to have more time compared to everyone else going 100mph around him.

76YQw.gif

So many Bradbury type excuses being brought up by offended teams that think their best player was robbed by injury/suspension, is it Gray's fault Fyfe got himself rubbed out twice or Gaz wrecked his shoulder?

If anyone actually watched more than the one Port game against their side this year they'd realise the guys a freak & the player with the closest Ablett-esque skill set in the league behind the great man himself.

They all think it's a one off but if they looked at his past years every time he's fit he's been one of our best players, if he strings together a few more of these standard years he'll be earning more accolades than just the AFLCA award.

It's not like half the leagues best players were rubbed out he's still beaten Pendles/Beams, Kennedy, Buddy, Selwood, Lewis (had a ripper year) & plenty of other stars whilst fighting off his skipper Boak who's backed up his AA standard season nicely.

And yet he is currently only 10th in the Coaches Award. So is it unfair to say that the media rate him higher than the coaches do?

I really, really dislike Selwood, like really dislike him, but you can't try and argue that he isn't an amazing player and captain. I find him and Boak very similar the way they just manage to push that little bit extra and somehow bring the team with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back