Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen him 'keep'? It would cost us a heap of runs in dropped catches, missed stumpings and extras for potentially a few extra runs with the bat. Heck it might even put some pressure on Pete's batting that whilst impressive for a couple of games recently arguably isn't even 100% proven at ODI level.

One of the most ridiculous suggestions I've seen on here recently. Might be able to get away with it in a T20 but 50 overs? No, just no. Want Carey out replace him with another proper wicketkeeper.

edit - Carey averages 3 less runs than Handscomb from one less game.
There is not a great deal between the averages, the difference is, at this stage Handscomb average is heading in the right direction whilst Carey's isn't.

Handscomb averages over 50 for the Indian series at a SR of over 100.

There is not a great deal between the averages, the difference is, at this stage Handscomb average is heading in the right direction whilst Carey's isn't.

Handscomb averages over 50 for the Indian series at a SR of over 100.
Pete is a better batsman but people on here are carrying on like Carey is useless and Pete is now a batting star based on a couple of recent 50s after doing bugger all in his early ODIs. They've also only played 10 and 11 games.

Anyway Handscomb isn't a keeper so the comparison is pointless. People bag the selectors as being stupid but there is no way they are silly enough to give a part timer the gloves for a 50 over WC.

This. Put him down the order and move everyone else up, solves the problem of Maxwell being too low.
Im sure it'll happen anyway assuming Warner comes back in and Finch holds his spot.

Im with you - no chance we'll go with a part time gloveman for the WC.

My ideal XI for the world cup following this Indian 3 match series ...

Warner
S Marsh
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Richardson
Zampa

I'd be adding Kane Richardson to the squad at the expense of Peter Siddle. If you need a death bowling option (like they thought Sids was), chuck in AJ Tye. Hasn't set the world on fire in the BBL but his best can get it done. Finch is in the squad but hasn't done enough currently to justify an automatic selection. I'd be taking Darcy Short over as well. Essentially this first XI has a decent mix of power hitters, reputable stayers, fast and mid paced bowlers and a solid spin option. We could do far worse.
Wade in over Carey because of sheer amount of domestic runs in both Shield and BBL. Carey is our second best keeper in the country but currently his batting isn't quite up to it. Wadey deserves a chance somewhere. This is also a world cup and requires some real tough nut 'never say die' attitude. Wade brings that in spades since Warner will probably keep his mouth shut forever now.

Warner
S Marsh
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Richardson
Zampa

I'd be adding Kane Richardson to the squad at the expense of Peter Siddle. If you need a death bowling option (like they thought Sids was), chuck in AJ Tye. Hasn't set the world on fire in the BBL but his best can get it done. Finch is in the squad but hasn't done enough currently to justify an automatic selection. I'd be taking Darcy Short over as well. Essentially this first XI has a decent mix of power hitters, reputable stayers, fast and mid paced bowlers and a solid spin option. We could do far worse.
Wade in over Carey because of sheer amount of domestic runs in both Shield and BBL. Carey is our second best keeper in the country but currently his batting isn't quite up to it. Wadey deserves a chance somewhere. This is also a world cup and requires some real tough nut 'never say die' attitude. Wade brings that in spades since Warner will probably keep his mouth shut forever now.

Isn't Wade giving up the gloves?

I wasn't aware that Patterson the bolwer is injured sorry about that. But if he wasn't straight in. Patterson the batsman, the way the selectors give out baseless selections, Patterson wouldn't be a bad inclusion.
Pattinson has a side strain, hopefully he comes good because if he's fully fit he's in our best 11 in all formats IMO, handy bat too.

Pattinson has a side strain, hopefully he comes good because if he's fully fit he's in our best 11 in all formats IMO, handy bat too.
Pattinson is quality but it seems like the longer he has been out the more he gets hyped up over how good he actually was, another year or 2 and I expect people claiming him to be better than Dennis Lillie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner
S Marsh
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade (WK)
Cummins
Starc
Richardson
Zampa

Kane Richardson? Surely Hazlewood and even Cummins would be better options. Tye got a go and frankly didn't look up to it at international level, Short probably deserved more of a chance but I wouldn't be selecting him now, won't have enough experience in time for the World Cup to bother.

Carey wasn't great this series but there's nothing to suggest Wade would be better, a far worse keeper and averages in the 20s over 100+ ODIs. The sensible option would be simply moving him down to 7 just open with Warner and someone else, think your top 6 could be the way to go as I think Finch needs a break after being stuffed around so much with Test Cricket, doesn't look the same.

Handscomb keeps at T20 level because keepers play less of a role when batters are bashing it around for just 120 balls. He is in now way an option for the World Cup as a keeper. Bancroft is a better keeper and I wouldn’t suggest he keep at the World Cup.
Bancroft isn't in the one day side as a batsman, so that might be why he isn't being talked about.

I'm not sure he'd any better as a keeper from what I've seen either.

Kane Richardson? Surely Hazlewood and even Cummins would be better options. Tye got a go and frankly didn't look up to it at international level, Short probably deserved more of a chance but I wouldn't be selecting him now, won't have enough experience in time for the World Cup to bother.

Carey wasn't great this series but there's nothing to suggest Wade would be better, a far worse keeper and averages in the 20s over 100+ ODIs. The sensible option would be simply moving him down to 7 just open with Warner and someone else, think your top 6 could be the way to go as I think Finch needs a break after being stuffed around so much with Test Cricket, doesn't look the same.

I have Jhye in my side, only mentioned replacing Siddle with Kane for the squad just to clarify.
I like Wade his aggression and his current form would at least justify his selection.
If Carey did end up batting down the order and obviously keeping I definitely wouldn't be opposed however.

It's a pointless argument anyway because unless the selectors take up smoking crack neither will be behind the stumps in the WC but Bancroft is definitely a better keeper imo.
Exactly, I wasn’t suggesting him; the opposite actually. But he was a keeper for much of his junior career and has Handscombe covered comfortably.

Pattinson is quality but it seems like the longer he has been out the more he gets hyped up over how good he actually was, another year or 2 and I expect people claiming him to be better than Dennis Lillie.

When fit, he was easily Australia’s best bowler. He had the potential to be as good as Steyn. Unfortunately I don’t see him ever getting back to that level again. Anyway, just my opinion. Such a shame we haven’t seen Pattinson and Cummins at their best in test cricket.

A few changes to my last world cup team, with Finch, Carey & Agar out of my first XI.

D. Warner
S.Marsh
M.Stoinis
S.Smith
G.Maxwell
M.Marsh
M.Wade +
P.Cummins
M.Starc
A.Zampa
J.Hazlewood

A.Finch, P.Handscomb, N.Lyon N.Coulter-Nile/ J.Richardson.

Warner back in will make a huge difference, 43 average with a 96 sr is world class.
Stoinis i think is suited to building his innings & he could be very dangerous once set.

Smith will be the rock, either rebuilding or continuing the momentum. He'll most likely be facing a lot of spin in the middle overs which is where we'll need him.
Maxwell, Marsh & Wade for the hitting power late with Cummins & Starc very capable too.

Hazelwood i think is a tad underrated in ODI's, has a very good record.
Lot of bowling options with Marsh, Stoinis & Maxwell to share the 5th bowling overs.

Throw in whoever you want, you can't expect us to perform in ODI cricket when we haven't played it domestically since September last year.

We won't make it out of the group stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back