Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a little concerning that the WC is like 6 months away and we have no idea how we will line up.

If I was picking the squad:
David Warner
Aaron Finch
Marcus Stoinis
Steve Smith
Shaun Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
Alex Carey
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Adam Zampa
Josh Hazlewood

D'Arcy Short
Jhye Richardson
Mitch Marsh
Nathan Coulter-Nile

Finch is out of form yes but just gotta back him in, form is fickle and chances are he'll be up and running come the world cup.
Carey hasn't really cemented himself, would want to put some runs on the board for Australia some time soon.
Stoinis is better suited to batting time than coming in in the 40th over.
Also need Starc to find something, capable of being the best white ball bowler around but just hasn't seemed to have done much lately.

Throw in whoever you want, you can't expect us to perform in ODI cricket when we haven't played it domestically since September last year.

We won't make it out of the group stage.
Why would that matter? The only players that need match practice ahead of the World Cup are those selected and they are currently getting that practice. They will get some more ahead of the World Cup too.

Yeah Siddle and Stanlake should definitely go to the World Cup, they're getting much needed practice.

Like...what?

You know List A cricket is different to T20 cricket right?

Those saying Handscomb only keeps in T20 cricket, he was the keeper in the JLT cup championship winning side. I understand some people wanting to forget that series given their almighty choke, but he does keep for his state in 50 over cricket!

Is he the best option? No, but he should be in the side and atm 8 doesn’t fit into 7. Now one of Warner or Smith may not be fit so could save the selectors making that call.

Those saying Handscomb only keeps in T20 cricket, he was the keeper in the JLT cup championship winning side. I understand some people wanting to forget that series given their almighty choke, but he does keep for his state in 50 over cricket!

Is he the best option? No, but he should be in the side and atm 8 doesn’t fit into 7. Now one of Warner or Smith may not be fit so could save the selectors making that call.

Agreed and Carey has done less than nothing. Not even showing something that makes you think he just needs time. He’s a flat out dud.

I think it is easier to do in batting order.

Certain players are locks regardless of form:

First XI

Warner
Finch
S.Marsh
Smith
Handscomb (WK)
Stonis
Maxwell
Couter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
J.Richardson

Players 12-15
Zampa
Khawaja
M.Marsh
Behrendorff

All fit I suspect the team will be

Finch
Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Carey+ (failed as an opener - batting is there, use him as a keeper)
Starc
Zampa
Hazelwood

Handscomb, M.Marsh, Richardson the main 3 back-ups, whilst also being capable of being in the starting 11 come June.

Short the alternative to Warner if not fit (so take him just in case).
If Smith doesn't make it, then Handscomb in for him, and Khawaja the depth.

Attacking openers followed by 2 anchor roles (Smith, Marsh, Handscomb, Khawaja in order of preference) in case both the openers fail and the innings needs to be rebuilt. Enough with Carey opening- happy for him to be the keeper but doesn't need to open too.

Maxwell and Stoinis just the incumbents, M.Marsh being ill means he is 3rd in the pecking order but certainly would give him a run leading up to the WC and see if he can re-overtake Stoinis. Maxwell still the preferred guy at 6 I imagine.

15 man squad if Smith is fit and we don't take Khawaja, do we need to take another bowler and make it 16? Richardson has won the next-in-line spot for now, not sure if Behrendorff quite sealed the 5th spot, look at Couter-Nile, Stanlake? Is there a chance we take Lyon in case we want 2 spinners?

The fact we have no problem with our keeper batting down the order hopefully batting rarely is the issue unfortunately.

I just can't see the guy batting at 7 batting rarely against the good sides with the line up we have
I

I think with the addition of our 2 best batsmen along with an inform Marsh and Handscomb, as well as one of the most dangerous lower order hitters in Maxwell gives us plenty of hope that the batting will stand up and at most, Carey and Cummins should only see the final few overs (where I`d think they are both good enough to hit out).

Warner (av 43, SR 96, 14 100s), Finch (av 36, SR 88, 11 100s), Marsh (av 42, SR 82, 7 100s), Smith (av 41, SR 86, 8 100s), Stoinis (av 42, SR 98, 8 50s), Maxwell (av 32, SR 121, 16 50s).

Then Carey comes in - either the match is lost and it's not fair to pin it on him, or he bats T20 style (SR of 129) and boosts our score.

If Smith and Warner are underdone and end up not firing, so be it. We shouldn't be making calls on our keeper on the chance we need them to score 40 instead of 20. Basically if it comes down to Wade scoring 40 over Carey 20 the match is already lost so pick the best keeper which is Carey. And we can't afford to not risk Smith or Warner because we 100% won't win without them.

I can understand reservations about Handscomb keeping but the advantages of having another lower order hitter in say M Marsh outweigh that in my opinion. I just don't see the value of Carey in the side whatever his position may be. Dravid kept the entire 2003 WC when India made the final so it can work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell Johnson's Australia squad for 2019 World Cup: Glenn Maxwell (c), Usman Khawaja (vc), Aaron Finch, David Warner, D'Arcy Short, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Peter Handscomb (wk), Pat Cummins, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Mitchell Starc, Jhye Richardson, AJ Tye, Adam Zampa

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mit...axwell-alex-carey-handscomb-keeper/2019-01-20

I guess captaincy options are thin due to the terms of the suspensions.

D. Warner
D. Short
S. Marsh
S. Smith
P. Handscomb (wk)
G. Maxwell (C)
M. Stoinis
P. Cummins
M. Starc
J. Richardson
A. Zampa

A. Finch
M. Marsh
N. Coulter-Nile
J. Hazlewood

Wade must be hard to overlook given his form along with Carey’s mediocre few months. Is a stronger option as an opener or as a lower order striker for mine.

Don’t mind the idea of Finch slotting down the order to try find some form.

Warner
Wade
Marsh
Smith (Handscomb)
Finch
Stoinis
Maxwell

It looks strong and more balanced than we’ve had in both recent series. I don’t mind the recent idea of having people who can build the innings but Ussie, Marsh and Handscomb was one too many I thought.

Surprised nobody is talking about this here tbh.

Australian fans already gave up world cup hopes to concentrate on the Ashes?Australia have a cup to defend ffs...
The World Cup isn't being hosted in Australia and therefore most of the general public won't watch it and will barely even know it is on.

Australian fans already gave up world cup hopes to concentrate on the Ashes?
Partially cricket media's fault. They constantly talk about the Ashes like it is the only cricket that matters. Been hearing it since before the trio got suspended even though there's several series of different formats in between, including the WC.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I'm glad Smith will hopefully get the chance to just focus on long form cricket going into The Ashes. Will need time to adjust and rushing into a stressful World Cup and then the Ashes would possibly be detrimental. Would love for him to be able to play the Aus A game and maybe even some County Cricket in the lead up to get his confidence back and hopefully some form.

The World Cup is a joke a this time around with what they've done with the associates and we're not going to win anyway. England are a shambles at the moment and while we are too, if we can prepare well and Warner/Smith find form we could be a chance with the way Cummins has been bowling and I say this despite writing off our chances completely not long ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back