Rookie List Failures

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
There was a bit of discussion on this topic after we exchanged Pick 17 for Sharrod Wellingham, who was originally selected by Collingwood at Pick 10 in the 2007 Rookie Draft.

I think it's fair to say that since the 2006 premiership, we've gone from being one of the masters of the rookie draft (Chad Fletcher, Dean Cox, The Q, Mark Nicoski, Brett Jones and Matt Priddis with serviceable returns from the likes of Kasey Green, Jaymie Graham, Steven Armstrong and ... Laurie Belotti) to a club that just doesn't give a crap. I give you our rookie selections since the 2006 premiership:

2007: Jamie McNamara, Llane Spaanderman, Chad Jones with Ben Sharp, Ashley Thornton and Beau Wilkes all re-drafted.

I guess the pick of the crop would be a tie between McNamara (19 games, 4 goals in 3 years) and Wilkes (23 games, 1 goal in 6 years). Wilkes now plays for St Kilda.

Jones played 7 games while Spaanderman, Sharp and Thornton combined for 0 games.

2008: Lewis Stevenson, Ashley Arrowsmith, Will Sullivan, Callum Wilson, Ryan Davis with Beau Wilkes re-drafted.

Stevenson is still around, was promoted to the senior list in 2010 and played 10 games that year, but hasn't played since. Wilson managed 7 games in 3 years, Davis 14 in 2. Arrowsmith and Sullivan failed to play a single game.

2009: Liam Bedford, Adam Cockie.

Liam Bedford o_O Cockie managed 7 games in 2 years.

2010: Lewis Broome, Andrew Strijk, Ashton Hams, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

I think it's fair to say that Hams (31 games, 33 goals) has been our best rookie selection since the 2006 premiership. Strijk is also still around (13 games, 11 goals), Broome failed to play a game while the less said about Oakley-Nicholls, the better o_O

2011: Anton Hamp, Jeremy McGovern, Tim Houlihan (re-drafted)

Houlihan failed to play a game after being re-drafted with our first pick (pick 10) in the 2011 rookie draft. Hamp was delisted without playing a game, while McGovern remains on the rookie list.

2012: Michael Mascoulis, Callum Papertalk, Simon Tunbridge, Brad Dick

Mascoulis and Papertalk were delisted after only one year on the rookie list. Tunbridge and Dick remain on the rookie list, with Dick likely to be promoted to the senior list (or has he already?)

In terms of games played, our top 3 rookie selections since the 2006 premiership have been:

Hams - 31 games
Wilkes - 23 games
McNamara - 19 games

To put that into perspective, to make the top 3, Strijk needs to play 7 games next year, while Stevenson needs to play 10.

I'm not sure how other clubs have gone in the same time period, but looking at our selections in isolation, our efforts have been deplorable.

My suggestion is for the club to stop with the random crazy picks and focus on strong performers aged between 20-25 in the WAFL, VFL and SANFL. Guys who can slot straight into the side if disaster strikes. Let's draft the next Priddis or Barlow rather than the next Papertalk. I think it's fair to say the days of the next Dean Cox sliding all the way to the rookie draft are well and truly over.

Good read, I agree.
I think we don't make advantage of the talent pool in the WAFL enough.

There's 8 Victorian clubs with only one VFL comp to monitor closely whereas there is only us and freo having the WAFL at our doorstep and freo seem to have been much more useful with their choices recently.

I understand west coast's strategy to some degree but then I see champion WAFL players who seem to get overlooked simply because they are mature age.

Geez, considering Hams has been the most successful rookie selection since the premiership, these late selections have really become a problem for us.

Hoping Stevenson will spend more time in the seniors, but doubtful. Dick and McGovern could potentially fit in one day.

2012 no real standouts
2011 Luke Dahlhaus, Ian Callinan
2010 Michael Barlow and a couple gcs which they had 1st 5 picks
2009 Matthew Suckling, Luke Breust, Jarryd Blair ,Adam Varcoe ,Jeff Garlett
2008 no real standouts
2007 Sam Jacobs ,Sharrod Wellingham

so when you look at not many have gone on from any club.

only did a quick look over these years so sorry if i missed someone.

2012 no real standouts
2008 no real standouts

Players taken in the psd/rookie draft whom we could have taken with a later pick in the draft

Howlett, Hardingham (PSD), Deboer, Blair, Broughton, Suckling, Crameri, Jpod, Hibberd (PSD), Milera, Horsley, Spurr, James Magner, Sam Gibson

Decent players who would be a lot more useful than most of our fringe players..

Agree with the OP, since Priddis in 2005/06 we haven't picked up a rookie list gem for 6 years - even a decent player with a late draft pick. Our strike rate has been decreasing over the years - while clubs like Essendon, Collingwood, Freo draft some really good mature players (be it in the ND, PSD, RD) that have been in their best 22.

Our whole recruitment, list management, trading teams need to be looked at a lot more.

I personally will take it one step further and say our whole recruitment department has degraded since the premiership years. We used to be considered the best recruiters in the AFL. Not any more.

*edit: Prem87 got in before me and said the same thing.

There's been plenty of mature-age VFL/SANFL etc recruits who've failed to make a splash at AFL level. How many of these names do you recognise? Steve Clifton, Patrick Rose, Jay Van Berlo, Michael Coad, Marcus Marigliani, Wayde Twomey, Malcolm Lynch, Adam Cockie.

It's not like picking up 20-25 year old WAFL stars is a sure-fire method of getting AFL-ready players.

2012 no real standouts
2008 no real standouts

Adam Varcoe never played a game, you're thinking of his brother Travis.

Ian Callinan was about 28 when he was rookie-listed, from memory.

Howlett, Hardingham (PSD), Deboer, Blair, Broughton, Suckling, Crameri, Jpod, Hibberd (PSD), Milera, Horsley, Spurr, James Magner, Sam Gibson

Most of these guys were mature age players. Maybe thats the way we should go in the rookie draft.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; don't get too upset about failed rookie picks. If you are relying on rookies to boost yourself up into the upper echelon then you're not that good to begin with.

Historically, clubs like Freo who might have tried to manipulate the rookie draft a bit more than others haven't necessarily had that much success. You need the higher picks playing consistently to do well, not rookie picks.

Of course, they are good for depth. That's what they should be; not your star players.

Poignant. :thumbsu:

How many wookie picks will we have this year? They are taking one off the lists, aren't they? The likes of Cruize Garlett and Shane Nelson (if he slides again) would be good depth.

Poignant. :thumbsu:

How many wookie picks will we have this year? They are taking one off the lists, aren't they? The likes of Cruize Garlett and Shane Nelson (if he slides again) would be good depth.

We'll have two picks if we upgrade Dick. Rookie list will be McGovern, Tunbridge and the two newbies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you reckon Dick will be elevated FS?

I'd say so. Mostly because we'll have a few senior spaces available with Lynch, Stevens, Swift, Neates and probably Strijk gone, maybe a couple of others, and not many useable picks in the draft.

Mature age rookie's make sense if you are really lacking best 22 work horses. Fremantle have had much better hit rates with Broughton, Pearce, Lower, Debeor, and Barlow.
Pearce was an AA defender in 2008 and he ended up going in the rookie draft.

In saying that id much rather we went after more speculative types that have upside in the rookie draft than going after the guys that missed out because they lack standout features. In saying that last year Nelson and Williams had enough stand out features for us to pick one up but it seems we had other plans.

Adam Varcoe never played a game, you're thinking of his brother Travis. :oops: my bad was a quick look mistake

Ian Callinan was about 28 when he was rookie-listed, from memory. Didn't think he was that old, remember him for tas under 18's, think he got division 2 best player ? must of been a while since if 28 last year 2000/2001 :eek:

Just for comparison guys since 2008 Freo Rookie draft has been used for mature agers who can fill roles/needs at Freo. More recently these are becoming more speculative for us as well I think (JWK an example already delisted) it depends partially on what position your primary list is in. Freo had a situation under Connelly of having traded away all our top draft picks and having some older players on the list so we lacked any reasonable players in the 22-24 age bracket when Harvey came in and changed the plan for recruitment in 2008 in particular (2007 was just hold draft picks and get best available, 2008 we had changed our recruiting department).

List for 2006 onwards is (Rookie pick, player, number of games played since coming to Freo):
2006:
13 Chris Smith 0
28 Andrew Foster 9
42 Darren Rumble 0
53 Benet Coping 0

2007:
6 Brent Connolly 0
22 Luke Pratt 1
37 Calib Mourish 0
50 Ryley Dunn 3

2008:
3 Casey Sibosado 0
19 Matt DeBoer 76
34 Hamish Shepeard 0
48 Clancee Pearce 50
62 Jay Van Berlo 32
74 Greg Broughton 68

2009:
8 Michael Barlow 46
24 Alex Silvagni 29

2010:
20 Gavin Roberts 0
37 Nick Lower 22
53 Ben Bucovaz 2
68 Tim Ruffles (re-draft)

2011:
8 Lee Spurr 13
26 Hayden Schloithe 0
44 Sam Menegola 0
61 Jordan Wilson King 0

9 players from that time still on the list, Jay Van Berlo was an ok depth player for a while delisted this year as better players came along.

I'm honestly not disappointed about missing out on any of those players.

They are good players but the core of our side are good players too. We then need a bit of flexibility to develop the kids we see as having a higher potential. For example, if we had Crameri, then perhaps Darling wouldn't have received the opportunities that he has - particularly if LeCras and Nicoski stayed fit.

Players taken in the psd/rookie draft whom we could have taken with a later pick in the draft

The only couple I'd really want from that list would be Suckling, Crameri and (to a lesser extent) Howlett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back