Opinion Rory Lobb (GWS Giants)

Remove this Banner Ad

We f#$en hate you too, but thanks. Ps, dont expect it to happen, Bond cant land a root in a brothel.
Wy dont you get it right Bondy doesnt do the contracting that is Lloydy's job so get with the program. You at that rate couldnt land a root in a brothel because you would get the address wrong for the House. Ha ha

You should get McCarthy relatively cheaply as he hasn't played this year so to an tents and purposes GWS have already accepted his loss. That also means he can be used as one of the list reductions they have to make so they can hang on to another player. I doubt Lobb will go but if he does, you may struggle to satisfy GWS in any proposed trade

I'm not so sure. McCarthy is still contracted so if GWS know they're going to lose him for peanuts there's nothing stopping them playing hardball - even if it means they get nothing for him in the end they're not in need of (mediocre) draft picks and it sends a message to the competition that GWS players won't be poached cheaply.

Wy dont you get it right Bondy doesnt do the contracting that is Lloydy's job so get with the program. You at that rate couldnt land a root in a brothel because you would get the address wrong for the House. Ha ha
This isn't contracting, this is negotiating a deal with Gws. Your telling me bond plays no part in that at all?

Lets say SPS or equivalent is at 3 and Freo had traded pick 3 for for Lobb and Cam I'd be happy.

SPS could be a gun but he wouldn't be as valuable as a key forward and ruck forward. Bar Sandi ww have no decent rucks
Neither does the bulldogs, just zippy agile mids who use the ball well - like Sam Petrevski-Seton.

We shouldn't compare Boyd and Taberner..

Stringer is the perfect example, mobility over height and size.

Not directly comparing

Yeah Stringer is. I just really liked watching Boyd and Stringer ruck and rove for the last few minutes in the Dogs win down back.

They offer so much versatility and a couple of class kpfs/rucks would help Freos flexibility and game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't compare Boyd and Taberner..

Stringer is the perfect example, mobility over height and size.

Yeah this is an example that's used a lot. I'm not sure about it. Stringer is ordinary quite often, and I think if you dig into it he only really does well when you have Redpath or Boyd or both in the team taking the big tall defenders. Both of whom we don't have a clear analog to, unless you want to be really generous to Apeness or Taberner.

Their first game against North this year was a classic example. They lost an awful game and he did heck all useful to the team because as the primary target, he had Thompson and Tarrant playing tag team on him.

McCarthy's contract would have to be under GWS's salary cap if he stayed on their books for another year even if they pay him out. I can actually see the need for GWS to trade McCarthy as helping us trade for Lobb provided we are prepared to part with pick 3. If GWS can not trade McCarthy then having his salary on their books will make a tight salary cap even tighter in 2017.

The reality is we would of given this years pick 3 for Cam last year, but GWS, us, thought that pick would be closer
to where Cam originally went.
So if we could get two players for that same pick, we are already in front, but will it happen?

Yeah this is an example that's used a lot. I'm not sure about it. Stringer is ordinary quite often, and I think if you dig into it he only really does well when you have Redpath or Boyd or both in the team taking the big tall defenders. Both of whom we don't have a clear analog to, unless you want to be really generous to Apeness or Taberner.

Their first game against North this year was a classic example. They lost an awful game and he did **** all useful to the team because as the primary target, he had Thompson and Tarrant playing tag team on him.

I actually think Taberner would match Boyd for everything except pay packet. Actually, he gets less hit-outs.

Structurally he will do, that's with shocking delivery forward too.

We fall over with skill from back pocket to half forward. Unlike the dogs.

Boyd marking currently is like tab previous last two year pretty ordinary.
( Not this year) tab .

I actually think Taberner would match Boyd for everything except pay packet. Actually, he gets less hit-outs.

Structurally he will do, that's with shocking delivery forward too.

We fall over with skill from back pocket to half forward. Unlike the dogs.

Yes and no. For example, Wallis, Picken and Libertore are not exactly what i'd describe as good kicks. They have a far better spread of half-back though I agree.

Boyd has clear flashes that remind you where he was picked. He's really very young too so I don't really understand this idea of him as not very good or a bad deal, he will most likely come on like a lot of KPFs do as they reach their early to mid 20s.

But in any case really the idea holds I think - having more skill across the park is ideal, yes, but without a target who can compete and not allow tall defenders to easily zone off, it can all come to nought in the end. And the 'value' of these players, in terms of the difficulty obtaining competent versions of them, is huge. Certainly citing Stringer as an example of why we don't need size I think is wrong.

This isn't contracting, this is negotiating a deal with Gws. Your telling me bond plays no part in that at all?

Lloyd is the List Manager and he does the negotiating and contracting.

Bond and Lyons have a lot more to do with it than you realise. I was actually told by someone who reckons he had an ear to a recruiter that over the last few seasons that they changed the order of players on the draft list.

McCarthy's contract would have to be under GWS's salary cap if he stayed on their books for another year even if they pay him out. I can actually see the need for GWS to trade McCarthy as helping us trade for Lobb provided we are prepared to part with pick 3. If GWS can not trade McCarthy then having his salary on their books will make a tight salary cap even tighter in 2017.

They could delist him, with his blessing and then we pick him up in the delisted free agent draft. It's actually what I'm hoping happens and am leaning towards.

Really hope we don't give a cent for him.

If we're in the market for Lobb, then we could pay overs for Lobb in a way that makes it seem like we've valued McCarthy, if that's what it takes.

Example: We give up pick 3 for Lobb and McCarthy and perhaps they throw a 2nd rounder back to us (pick 25). Lobb is not worth pick 3, but Lobb and McCarthy might get it across the line and shows value for both players.

I seriously can't see GWS giving up Lobb for anything less than pick 3 on its own as a minimum. Watching him on the weekend he is definitely at least worth such an early pick and perhaps more. It really isn't overs or the most promising ruck/forward since Tippet IMO. If anything it would be a steal.

I seriously can't see GWS giving up Lobb for anything less than pick 3 on its own as a minimum. Watching him on the weekend he is definitely at least worth such an early pick and perhaps more. It really isn't overs or the most promising ruck/forward since Tippet IMO. If anything it would be a steal.

Yeah I still think top 3 picks go for the absolute elite of the comp. Carlisle for example who is still young and done heaps more went for what? pick 5 and 24 and received back pick 14 and Carlisle! So I mean essentially a 9 pick downgrade in the first round and pick 24.

We're getting desperate but if pick 3 was used for Lobb and McCarthy I'd hope we also get something back in the second round. Even then pick 3? That's just so much to give up.

But is he that good a ruckman? i.e. at rucking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back