Round 1, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

he also cost us a go in september

He did, or was it Beams missed snap, Toovey's momentum shifting turnover or was it someone else in the Bulldogs game.

It was a pure rubbish but it didn't end our season, also I'm confident Young can contribute to the side next year.
you cant blame a single mistake for ruining a season i guess.

i dont think Young has enough age on his hands to help us, he would have been fine had he been 2-3 years younger.

i dont really see the point of giving him games.

you cant blame a single mistake for ruining a season i guess.

i dont think Young has enough age on his hands to help us, he would have been fine had he been 2-3 years younger.

i dont really see the point of giving him games.
Agree. Young is VFL bound now. His best footy was at Hawthorn many years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Young is VFL bound now. His best footy was at Hawthorn many years ago.

We got him so we would get some penetration in out kicking. He's also got experience and is a premiership player. I think he'll be around player 18-24. In the side but threatened by the young ones. Off the bench and in the midfield I'm guessing.

B: Williams Brown Toovey
HB: Langdon Keeffe Seedsman
C: Sidebottom Swan Varcoe
HF: Karnezis Reid Elliott
FF: White Cloke Broomhead
R: Witts Pendlebury Greenwood
I/C: Adams Goldsack Freeman
S: Fasolo
EMG: Frost Kennedy De Goey

Yep, that's close to mine. I'd have Fasolo in and Kennedy as the sub. Freeman has hardly played VFL, let alone AFL.

Collingwood.

That isn't a particularly big deal unfortunately.

With the complete and utter lack of penetration and overlap in our game post the first bye he would be lucky to break the top 25-30 league wide. Even then it's a somewhat redundant statistic without using retention rate to support it.

If we're to take steps forward next year we need Seedsman to have a Hanley/ B Smith type breakout year. Their metres gained were off the charts in 2014, but more importantly their retention rates were also very high. The only player to average over 400 metres gained with a higher retention rate league wide was Jetta and with Shaw gone we need someone propelling us forward in a similar vein. Unfortunately it's unlikely to be Young.

He came first in metres gained by 1000 metres. The guy that came second was Dayne Beams.

Not hard when you play back of centre and your one move is to get the ball and kick it as far as you can without looking. I would like a stat for "player whose kicks the most rebounds were launched from". I bet he is elite in that regard as well.

B: Williams, Brown, Langdon
HB: Toovey, Reid, Seedsman
C: Sidebottom, Swan, Broomhead
HF: Elliott, Cloke, De Goey
FF: Blair, PK, Fasolo
R: Witts, Pendlebury, Greenwood
Int: Grundy, Adams, Goldsack
Sub: Freeman

I do feel like I've missed someone because that midfield seems so light on for rotations. What I've attempted with this line up is to give us some flexibility, size, scoring power and to keep a decent blend of youth and experience.

In the back half you have 2 stoppers (Toovey and Brown), 2 rebounders (Seedsman & Langdon) and 2 that can do both depending on match ups (Williams & Reid).

The midfield has some inside and outside elements and provides an opportunity for the likes of De Goey, Elliott and PK (received by the resting ruck or Goldsack) to rotate through.

That forward mix can go small or tall without losing too much effectiveness with Cloke, PK, Elliott, De Goey and Reid (if relieved by Goldy) all marking options. We then have the option of Elliott, Broomy, Fasolo, Blair and Goldy at ground level if small is the way to go.

The bench is pretty self explanatory with your fwd/ ruck, mid rotation and mr fix it. Freeman gets the gig as sub because he's one that I feel we need to pump some games into.

Is that line up going to take us to the top 6? It's unlikely. Will it take us to the top 6 in 2016-17? I'd say there's a decent chance if we can sort out our structural deficiencies.

I think 2015 is a fantastic opportunity to set the platform for the next 3 years, but I'm beyond confident that the club will want to remain relevant in 2015 and substitute Young and Varcoe for De Goey and Freeman then move Broomhead into the sub role...

Last edited:
B: Williams, Brown, Langdon
HB: Toovey, Reid, Seedsman
C: Sidebottom, Swan, Broomhead
HF: Elliott, Cloke, De Goey
FF: Blair, PK, Fasolo
R: Witts, Pendlebury, Greenwood
Int: Grundy, Adams, Goldsack
Sub: Freeman

I do feel like I've missed someone because that midfield seems so light on for rotations. What I've attempted with this line up is to give us some flexibility, size, scoring power and to keep a decent blend of youth and experience.

In the back half you have 2 stoppers (Toovey and Brown), 2 rebounders (Seedsman & Langdon) and 2 that can do both depending on match ups (Williams & Reid).

The midfield has some inside and outside elements and provides an opportunity for the likes of De Goey, Elliott and PK (received by the resting ruck or Goldsack) to rotate through.

That forward mix can go small or tall without losing too much effectiveness with Cloke, PK, Elliott, De Goey and Reid (if relieved by Goldy) all marking options. We then have the option of Elliott, Broomy, Fasolo, Blair and Goldy at ground level if small is the way to go.

The bench is pretty self explanatory with your fed/ ruck, mid rotation and mr fix it. Freeman gets the gig as sub because he's one that I feel we need to pump some games into.

Is that line up going to take us to the top 6? It's unlikely. Will it take us to the top 6 in 2016-17? I'd say there's a decent chance if we can sort out our structural deficiencies.

I think 2015 is a fantastic opportunity to set the platform for the next 3 years, but I'm beyond confident that the club will want to remain relevant in 2015 and substitute Young and Varcoe for De Goey and Freeman then move Broomhead into the sun role...

I like some of your team but not all of it.

First concern is the lack of Keefe or Frost. I am a fan of Reid forward but even if you like him starting back and being a potential swing man if Goldsack is your only to go back in his place I believer that would compromise the ability to make that move.

Second we suffer from being Cloke centric and having him as the only tall option in the forward line would only exacerbate that

Third Varcoe is a classy AFL level player when fit. Automatic part of our 22 now and for at least a few seasons yet.

Fourth Patty K hope he can become a player and he has some tools but plenty of blokes who have looked good at VFL level struggle at the top. 4 seasons for 21 games and virtually none for 2 years. He is on his last season surely unless he steps up this year. Hard for me to see him as best 22 until he at least shows something at AFL level. Agree De Goey and Freeman can reasonably expected to become best 22 during ( not round 1) 2015. History says we can expect that. History would say a player like Karnesis may struggle. He can make it but not 22 until he shows something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back