Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does it say that? I can't find it, great to hear though! George oozes talent.

says soon the pic of him in the training pics.

8hewettlooksahead.jpg

George Hewett was looking in good condition as the youngster took it up to his teammates.

My turn. This is what I think the club should do come round one, not what I think they will do.

It was actually really tough fitting everyone in. Our list is actually looking pretty good. I think we'll be up there again this year and for the next few years but can't see us bettering Hawthorn until their stars retire or slow down.

BACK: Jones Grundy Smith
H/BACK: Rampe Talia Laidler
CTR: Kennedy Hanners Mitchell
H/FWD: Rohan Franklin Reid
FWD: McVeigh Sinclair Heeney
FOLL: Tippett KJack Parker
INT/EMG: Richards, Mills, Towers, McGlynn, Rose, Hewitt, Robinson, Lloyd, BJack, Davis and XR.

NOTES:
* Time to start looking towards the future and giving some younger players some opportunity whilst also giving our older players plenty of rest.
* Ruck - 60/40 ratio between Tippett and Sinclair respectively.
* With our glut of midfielders we can rotate them through the forward/back lines at will.
* McVeigh to effectively play everywhere he's needed. I prefer him in the backline but couldn’t fit him in.
* Leave Reid as a forward as much as possible to give him some stability.
* I have doubts about McGlynns ability to avoid injury at his age and doubt that he'll be around in 2017/18.
* I’ve heard a few people make reference to Buddy playing up the ground this year. He’d be great at that but I think we need to nurse him through to the end of his 9 year contract and therefore should stick around the half forward line.
* Talia has been recruited as a KPD and he must be given time there this season playing alongside Reg and Ted. Playing in the NEAFL won’t do his development any good.

My turn. This is what I think the club should do come round one, not what I think they will do.

It was actually really tough fitting everyone in. Our list is actually looking pretty good. I think we'll be up there again this year and for the next few years but can't see us bettering Hawthorn until their stars retire or slow down.

BACK: Jones Grundy Smith
H/BACK: Rampe Talia Laidler
CTR: Kennedy Hanners Mitchell
H/FWD: Rohan Franklin Reid
FWD: McVeigh Sinclair Heeney
FOLL: Tippett KJack Parker
INT/EMG: Richards, Mills, Towers, McGlynn, Rose, Hewitt, Robinson, Lloyd, BJack, Davis and XR.

NOTES:
* Time to start looking towards the future and giving some younger players some opportunity whilst also giving our older players plenty of rest.
* With our glut of midfielders we can rotate them through the forward/back lines at will.
* McVeigh to effectively play everywhere he's needed. I prefer him in the backline but couldn’t fit him in.
* Leave Reid as a forward as much as possible to give him some stability.
* I have doubts about McGlynns ability to avoid injury at his age and doubt that he'll be around in 2017/18.
* I’ve heard a few people make reference to Buddy playing up the ground this year. He’d be great at that but I think we need to nurse him through to the end of his 9 year contract and therefore should stick around the half forward line.
* Talia has been recruited as a KPD and he must be given time there this season playing alongside Reg and Ted. Playing in the NEAFL won’t do his development any good.
I like it mostly, just wondering where our outside run would be. Cunners?

Although I wonder if Rohan could play as an outside mid? Maybe try him there in a NAB game?

I think the main thing going against him in terms of this is his endurance...definitely has all the other tools to excel in this role! Here's hoping he's having a massive pre-season as we speak in order to give himself a shot at more midfield minutes.

With Sinclair's athletic ability (he used to run with the midfield in W.C's preseason apparently) and Tippett obviously being the better forward of the two, wouldn't you prefer it the other way around? Or is it more about the question marks over Sinclair's ruckwork?

Ideally Sinclair would be competent enough to play 70% ruck, leaving Tippett to dominate out of the goal square as we all know that he can

With Sinclair's athletic ability (he used to run with the midfield in W.C's preseason apparently) and Tippett obviously being the better forward of the two, wouldn't you prefer it the other way around? Or is it more about the question marks over Sinclair's ruckwork?

Ideally Sinclair would be competent enough to play 70% ruck, leaving Tippett to dominate out of the goal square as we all know that he can
My thinking is that Tippett is the better ruckman and Sinclair is the better forward.

My thinking is that Tippett is the better ruckman and Sinclair is the better forward.

Really? I thought Sinclair had shown very little playing in the forward line for West Coast. If he can provide a genuine marking option alongside Buddy and Reid then that would be a massive bonus for us!

Really? I thought Sinclair had shown very little playing in the forward line for West Coast. If he can provide a genuine marking option alongside Buddy and Reid then that would be a massive bonus for us!

Sinclair was a forward as a junior and most of his VFL/WAFL career. He is a natural forward.

West Coast turned him into a ruck/forward. He showed more in the forward line for West Coast then in the Ruck (He normally lost the ruck duels with the good ruckman). Though, his role in the West Coast team meant he didn't have the opportunity to really dominate in addition to their forward set up with Kennedy/Darling etc....

My crack at the team:

B: Jones Grundy Smith
HB: Rampe Richards McVeigh
C: K.Jack Hanners Rohan
HF: Towers Franklin Reid
F: Parker Sinclair Heeney
FOLL: Tippett Mitchell Kennedy
INT: Laidler Mills Lloyd B.Jack
EM: Talia McGlynn Rose

Anyone of the emergencies could easily be in the team and would love a player like Davis/Hewitt/Hiscox to stand up. The players in the team most likely to face tough competition are Richards, B.Jack, Lloyd, Jones & Mills in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, sorry for posting the question here, couldnt find a sydney supercoach thread.

Anyways, do you guys see major improvements in tom mitchell going into 2016? Was he injured last year? Did he have a proper preseason last year, what about this year? Finally, can we expect him to play as an inside midfielder throughout the entire season, or will he play as a forward occassionally like parker?

Cheers

Hi guys, sorry for posting the question here, couldnt find a sydney supercoach thread.

Anyways, do you guys see major improvements in tom mitchell going into 2016? Was he injured last year? Did he have a proper preseason last year, what about this year? Finally, can we expect him to play as an inside midfielder throughout the entire season, or will he play as a forward occassionally like parker?

Cheers

Nothing of note injury wise last year IIRC. As for improvement, his output is already quite high for a young mid so I can't personally see him reaching another level, though others might disagree. Expect more of the same as last year. Not much of a forward player but can sneak a goal every now and then. Wouldn't rely on goal kicking potential.

Yeah, I could see him average anywhere between 90-105. Not expecting massive improvement to elite levels, but shouldn't go down too much. Give him two more years and he'll be one of the best in the comp (dare I say it, especially if he's traded away from us)

So i have been wondering for a while now. A couple of seasons ago there was a site that allowed you to build your best 22. Im pretty sure it was linked with either the afl website or the swans site. I think it was a competition of some sort. It was quite interactive, similar to fantasy except you only pick players from one team. Does anyone else remember this? I cant seem to find it anymore. I would be good to pick your best 22 and post a visual here.

Would Talia get a game over Grundy or Richards or even play as a third tall defender?

Would Talia get a game over Grundy or Richards or even play as a third tall defender?

Definitely not over Grundy (4th in B&F last year), also unlikely over Richards. Will either be our third tall defender or battle Laidler for his spot.

Can't say for sure until we see some games in the NAB.

Definitely not over Grundy (4th in B&F last year), also unlikely over Richards. Will either be our third tall defender or battle Laidler for his spot.

Thanks looks like he will settle into the team later in the season just can't see him pushing for early selection unless there's an injury

In my opinion Laidler was one of our best defenders last year. Always did his job and is severely underrated on this board. Is automatic first 22 in my opinion. He just doesn't do the spectacular.

Just realised a fun fact (I was going to make an argument that there was a real chance he would be playing from round 1 due to the experiences of other players we have targeted - Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford etc. However research showed that to be far from true in all cases)

Talia (and Sinclair) are the first players we have traded for since 2011. We were very busy that year, trading for Mitch Morton who became an excellent clubman, plus Tony Armstrong and Tommy Walsh who were a complete waste of money, time and list space.

In my opinion Laidler was one of our best defenders last year. Always did his job and is severely underrated on this board. Is automatic first 22 in my opinion. He just doesn't do the spectacular.

Laidler is definitely one of my favourites too. Coaches might see him and Talia playing the same role though so might only go with one of the two.

Laidler is definitely one of my favourites too. Coaches might see him and Talia playing the same role though so might only go with one of the two.

I am not talking about favourites. I am talking about output. Richards on form would get dropped way before laidler.

laidler's on field work goes largely un-noticed but he rarely puts a foot wrong.

I am not talking about favourites. I am talking about output. Richards on form would get dropped way before laidler.

laidler's on field work goes largely un-noticed but he rarely puts a foot wrong.

I agree with this. And he is also our only defender who can reliably kick a fifty metre drop punt at goal for those times when the forward line is simply too crowded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back