Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Sinclair wont be playing reserves

I think he was pointing out, in our best 22 we have Tippett/Sinclair/Franklin and Reid as a third tall/KPF.

If one of them go down, we could bring in a reserve ruck (Naismith), and move Sinclair or Tippett forward.

We have depth in KPF stocks in our squad, due to the players we have in the best 22. Therefore we wouldn't be selecting a reserves KPF if one went down.

Concerning though that we don't have a project player.

I think he was pointing out, in our best 22 we have Tippett/Sinclair/Franklin and Reid as a third tall/KPF.

If one of them go down, we could bring in a reserve ruck (Naismith), and move Sinclair or Tippett forward.

We have depth in KPF stocks in our squad, due to the players we have in the best 22. Therefore we wouldn't be selecting a reserves KPF if one went down.

Concerning though that we don't have a project player.
I see a project KPF as being a waste of time at the moment. With our plethora of KPFs he won't get a look in for at least five years. I think we should look at one in acouple of years time.

I see a project KPF as being a waste of time at the moment. With our plethora of KPFs he won't get a look in for at least five years. I think we should look at one in acouple of years time.

I wouldn't mind a rookie in the ressies learning from our experienced KPFs. Then have Naismith/Nankervis as the 2nd KPF while rotating between the ruck.

Takes about 5 years for them to be any good anyway. But seriously we could have drafted a rookie kid at 17 to just learn and take in all the information. He would have the best opposition internally in tippo and bud by the time he is ready to go tippo will possibly be retired and buddy declining. So the successor would be timed perfectly. But between this year and next year wont matter too much.

Having Sinclair as our ruckman is going to make a HUGE difference to this team IMO. No longer do we have to make a lose/lose call of playing Tippett with a ruckman who can't offer anything out of position or playing Tippett as our sole ruck leaving a big hole up forward.
I think that Tippett is going to do the majority of the ruck work. Whilst both are ruckman/KPFs, Tippett is closer to a no.1 ruck than Sinclair.

Having Sinclair as our ruckman is going to make a HUGE difference to this team IMO. No longer do we have to make a lose/lose call of playing Tippett with a ruckman who can't offer anything out of position or playing Tippett as our sole ruck leaving a big hole up forward.

The worry I have is Sinclair is not really a number 1 ruckman. I am worried he is a natural number 2.

Takes about 5 years for them to be any good anyway. But seriously we could have drafted a rookie kid at 17 to just learn and take in all the information. He would have the best opposition internally in tippo and bud by the time he is ready to go tippo will possibly be retired and buddy declining. So the successor would be timed perfectly. But between this year and next year wont matter too much.

I think it might be a good idea to look at the academy and see just who is coming up in that environment. If there is a talent or two in the U16 comp for instance there could be good reason why the club is not developing a KF. The other thing is we have more urgent needs to address at the moment, the lack of good mid to tall outside mids with elite foot skills is the most important. In this draft we have gone part of the way to addressing that problem. There will be plenty of time in the next two years to draft a KF or two. We have addressed the FD problem to a certain extent and we are developing three in the reserves as well as hoping AJ comes back in good health and actually gets to play games. Aliir and X are developing well and Melican looks to have the goods and last year but for injury would have played a major part in our NEAFL side.

The thing is the club has to address the urgent needs first and then the long term needs. Trust the footy department on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worry I have is Sinclair is not really a number 1 ruckman. I am worried he is a natural number 2.

Stef Martin was a complete battler (and considered a natural number two initially) at Melbourne and he's become one of the most impactful ruckmen in the competition. I think Sinclair with some more time will definitely be capable of holding his own as a number one guy.

He probably needs a year more of strength, experience and know-how but I think he can get there for sure.

Instead of opting for the traditional 3-3-6-3-3 formation I've gone with a 2-2-2-6-2-2-2.

FB: Smith - Richards
Mid HB: Grundy - Laidler
HB: McVeigh - Talia

Midfield: Tippett + Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, K.Jack & Mitchell

High HF: Cunningham - Towers
HF: Reid - Franklin
FF: Heeney - Sinclair

Interchange (from): Mills, McGlynn, B.Jack, Rohan, Rampe, Lloyd, Jones, Rose, Robinson, Johnson

Ressies: X.Richards, Davis, Hiscox, Hewett, Aliir, Leonardis, Dawson, Nankervis, Naismith, Derickx, Newman, Marsh, Melican, Foote, Galloway, O'Riordan, Murray, Papley

It's actually quite hard to fit them all in there. I want Mills, Xav, BJack, Rose, Abe, Hiscox, Aliir and all the kids to get a run but just can't fit them in there...

DEF:
Grundy - Richards - Laidler - Smith - Talia - Rampe
RUC: Tippett
MID: JPK - Hanners - Parker - KJack - McVeigh
FWD: Sinclair - Heeney - Buddy - Reid - McGlynn - Rohan
INT: Jones - Cunningham - Towers - Mitchell
EMG: Lloyd - Mills - BJack

Still try to use these guys in the year at some point(s): Rose - Robinson - Xav - Abe - Hiscox - Aliir
Remaining guys I'll hope smash NEAFL and focus on a strong 2017: Papley - Nankervis - O'Riordan - Marsh

Then there's still AJ to come back too at some point (probably looking at seniors in 2017 though I'd suspect).

Notes on the above line up:

- I'd have Reid swinging Fwd/Def/Ruc as needed. Play him as our modern LRT.
- I'd also have Macca & Jones rotating through Defence to help out.
- Tippo & Sinclair interchangeably Ruc/Fwd with Reid helping out when one's taking a breather
- Heeney to play some mid time with Parker & Jack rotating fwd/mid with him and Benny.
- I'm hopeful they'll both be outstanding but my gut says Teddy and Benny could need some rests/cover through the year...
- We need to rest more guys through the year so we're not running on fumes come finals time (should we make it of course). This has a double edge to it in so far as some young blokes like Aliir and Davis will be able to get a taste this year before smashing it next year.

I'm pretty positive about this list. Young, old (but not too old), experienced premiership players with fresh young hungry kids... Sounds like the 2005 > 2012 transition to me. Hopefully some of these kids can breath a bit of life and energy into the playing group now.

Actually more concerned about our older senior players rather than our depth. Don't like to call our depth s**t without seeing them play. Really liked the look of Robinson last year, but sick of seeing Towers and Jack.

When will some get it that Reid ant a ruckmans arsehole
Still a little way to go to be an Lrt also , big game player Lrt was
Reid yet to prove much than a floater
People said the same thing about LRT. I recall calls to drop him etc. Same with Reg. Same with Jetta pre-2012. Same with Macca. Same with Kennelly. Same with Morton..... and I could keep going.

Some blokes often don't get the praise they deserve. The guys still developing or playing a role that means they sacrifice their own game. I reckon Sam is one such player. Gets little recognition but got thrown into carrying our fwd line instead of developing under an established fwd, has changed role multiple times, obviously is holding up his end of the bargain (or he'd have been dropped by now).... Every team needs a punching bag. Now Jetta is gone & Reg/Macca are established I suppose Reidy is that.

People said the same thing about LRT. I recall calls to drop him etc. Same with Reg. Same with Jetta pre-2012. Same with Macca. Same with Kennelly. Same with Morton..... and I could keep going.

Some blokes often don't get the praise they deserve. The guys still developing or playing a role that means they sacrifice their own game. I reckon Sam is one such player. Gets little recognition but got thrown into carrying our fwd line instead of developing under an established fwd, has changed role multiple times, obviously is holding up his end of the bargain (or he'd have been dropped by now).... Every team needs a punching bag. Now Jetta is gone & Reg/Macca are established I suppose Reidy is that.

I would rather Reid at CHF. I think he plays his best footy there. In games where Tip and or Bud didn't play reidy played the key CHF position and equipped himself really well. He kicked goals or points as his accuracy was off in one game. But the fact is he led up to the ball well and took the big marks. With Bud and Tip I still think he would be my choice as CHF. Tip is in the ruck half the time and he and Sinclair can share the FF role. Bud is better on the flank with a license to roam. That way he is far more dangerous and you get much more value in field kicking and drive. Reidy taking big marks and leading up is a good option especially from 40 or more out. His accuracy from there is really good at 90%.

When the calls came to drop both Kennelly and LRT they were both in their last year or two and were not playing that well. LRT was never a ruckman, his average HO reads less than Luke Parker, he would be the first to admit that. His real value to the club had always been his defensive game. He was one of the best defenders and as a forward he provided a block to hard running tall defenders. When he started to slow down, especially his last year the writing was on the wall. Kennelly relied on his pace and when that went the time was well and truly up. As it turned out the calls for both to be dropped were heeded and they finished their careers in the reserves. I'm sure every Swans supporter knows and respects their value to the swans but for every player there comes a time. Quite frankly I think goodsie went one year too long even though he was fairly reasonable last season. He was not Goodsie if you know what I mean, except in the occasional match.

It is hard to admit our stars and favs are getting old and time has caught up with them. As to Sammy in the ruck, just like LRt he is a lousy ruckman and should not be wasted there. Put him where he can use his talents, at CHF.

I would rather Reid at CHF. I think he plays his best footy there. In games where Tip and or Bud didn't play reidy played the key CHF position and equipped himself really well. He kicked goals or points as his accuracy was off in one game. But the fact is he led up to the ball well and took the big marks. With Bud and Tip I still think he would be my choice as CHF. Tip is in the ruck half the time and he and Sinclair can share the FF role. Bud is better on the flank with a license to roam. That way he is far more dangerous and you get much more value in field kicking and drive. Reidy taking big marks and leading up is a good option especially from 40 or more out. His accuracy from there is really good at 90%.
I've always thought Reid was a prototype CHF. Tall, elite reach, exceptional contested mark and a lot of agility and athleticism for a tall. He also proven to be solid for a contested ground ball and tends to use the ball well by hand to get to midfielders and keep the ball moving, as is the modern game. Is good defensively as well.

As you say Tippett / Sinclair in the square, Buddy roaming around half forward and Reid being the long lead up player at CHF.

If they went with this setup, perhaps you could see someone like Abe Davis get a go as another swing man at some point?

I would like to see Reid settle into CHF and backed for the season.

I've always thought Reid was a prototype CHF. Tall, elite reach, exceptional contested mark and a lot of agility and athleticism for a tall. He also proven to be solid for a contested ground ball and tends to use the ball well by hand to get to midfielders and keep the ball moving, as is the modern game. Is good defensively as well.

As you say Tippett / Sinclair in the square, Buddy roaming around half forward and Reid being the long lead up player at CHF.

If they went with this setup, perhaps you could see someone like Abe Davis get a go as another swing man at some point?

I would like to see Reid settle into CHF and backed for the season.

Me too. give him the stability he needs. I agree with you he is the archetypal CHF. I agree about davis too. I think this young bloke is very underrated. I watched a few reserves games and Abe playing in the mids was a great move. He is a big mid of course but boy does he move packs. Strong, clever and his handball is really good. He is also composed, doesn't panic when caught on the last surrounded by opposition. His kicking is good and he can take a strong mark. Not only that he is the first player I have seen since Goodsie who can play back, forward, mids or ruck. VERY VERSATILE. I think Abe has a big future. The thing is he is the quiet achiever type, no hype, no fuss just do.

I've actually always thought Reid was an elite CHB. He has excellent closing speed, and an excellent leap. He doesnt have good hands and his field kicking is putrid. There I've said it. He shanks more kicks than most 12-14 yos do. At CHB you can give by hand to a running small. At CHF you have either to kick goals or kick to advantage.

However watching him play loose when he has been thrown back did worry me because he really doesn't look like he enjoys the physical contact that a mean forward brings to the game.

He is better than anything else we have got but i do think Reid has never quite lived up to his potential.

As jesse White before him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back