Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people don't have Jones and I can't see Jones not being in the 22.

If he isn't in the best 22 now he never will be and we should have traded him.

Mills has hardly played any football this year, don't think he will feature early next year

I agree. Very hard to play at AFL level when you have hardly played at TAC & Reserves level. Mid season debut if at all.

In the pre-season we start with resting senior players and nearly all the 'junior' players getting a game, then in weeks 2 and 3 a couple of senior players come in each week often leaving the best performing 'junior' player in the team for round 1. That's Newman's best opportunity to break in and he will have the benefit of possibly filling the much needed half back replacement for Shaw.

Last year a young bloke called Lewis Melican impressed greatly but unfortunately spent most of the season injured. Be interesting to see how he fairs this year too. I can't see them making a call on the upgrading until the preseason is over and a few games have been played. Glad we delisted McLaren though. for a bloke his size I have never seen such insipid marking efforts.

Wasn't it a 4 man interchange last year, and the year before?

Nope. 3 x I/C plus 1 sub. Now we lose that bullshit 'select a player good for 15mins' shite the sub rule created.

Jones was never a great option as sub. He's more the player who grinds it out over a game, for mind.

Last edited:
Yep ur right. I got usd to seeing 4 people on the bench, albeit one of them in a red vest.

It'll be interesting to see how some of our younger players lift to the occasion now the sub is gone. Only being allowed on the field for under a qtr wasn't exactly accelerating a few blokes' development, that's for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how some of our younger players lift to the occasion now the sub is gone. Only being allowed on the field for under a qtr wasn't exactly accelerating a few blokes' development, that's for sure.

I think it will be awesome for us with Tippet/Sinclair ruck combo. We will loose the centre square hit outs, but both are better forwards that can rest on the ground. I reckon it will give us a lot more run especially with the limited interchange.

I reckon it was the young players that bore the brunt of the vest + the second ruckman. I am looking forward to seeing Towers/Jack/Lloyd/Rose/Jones... etc... not having that vest. When they get an opportunity, they can earn the next game!!! where as in the sub vest, you cant prove yourself

Am i right in saying

R.Shaw, Pyke, Goodes, Jetta

are replaced respectivily with Z.Jones, Sinclair, Towers and Mills

Not saying Mills is similar to Jetta obviousily the speedy outside types in Rohan, Cunningham, Lloyd replace him but opens a spot in the side for Mills when hes ready to go

Am i right in saying

Not saying Mills is similar to Jetta obviousily the speedy outside types in Rohan, Cunningham, Lloyd replace him but opens a spot in the side for Mills when hes ready to go

I think that is reasonably close. If Towers can maintain the form he showed in the last 4 or 5 games of the 2015 season he definitely deserves a spot in the best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am i right in saying

Was ZJones already in the 22? I've got Talia taking Shaw's spot. Of course would depend on opposition structure (this is where I'd love to have a decent rebounding defender in our depth, Shane Biggs anyone?)
Also Mills is an inside mid through and through. Would expect him to rest up forward when he is played, but I would hope that he isn't a vital part of our best 22.
Otherwise I agree, I'd love to see Towers take Goodesy's spot up forward, some consistent gametime without worrying about his spot would do him wonders.

Was ZJones already in the 22? I've got Talia taking Shaw's spot. Of course would depend on opposition structure (this is where I'd love to have a decent rebounding defender in our depth, Shane Biggs anyone?)
Also Mills is an inside mid through and through. Would expect him to rest up forward when he is played, but I would hope that he isn't a vital part of our best 22.
Otherwise I agree, I'd love to see Towers take Goodesy's spot up forward, some consistent gametime without worrying about his spot would do him wonders.
Think Jones provides that run and rebound and from little ive seen uses it really well, think you guys had him doing kickouts at times which is another reason hed be important replacing Shaw with some kickout duties even though Mcveigh floats across half back and is great by foot.

I think Grundy, Talia and Richards is too much. The better 2 of them and Rampe as a 3rd tall seems Longmires setup for now anyway. Forward lines are becoming more mobile not tall and heavy and that will continue with 90 cap interchanges.

Completely off topic. But saw rampe in nyc only a couple of days ago, hed want to get a wriggle on to be back in time ( and andjust to jetlag) for pre season

Unsure as to whether name dropping Rampe or NYC?

I need to spread my name drops over multiple posts. I would never waste 2 in one post.

I don't get out that much

Just thought it was odd to see him that far away so close to pre season training

He's a good two week steam back to Sydney, with his moustache making a several day stop-over in the Opium Dens of Shanghai

B: Dane Rampe, Ted Richards,Nick Smith
HB: Zak Jones, Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
HF: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Harry Cunningham
F: Callum Sinclair, Lance Franklin,Ben McGlynn
Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: Callum Mills, Jake Lloyd, Jeremy Laidler, Dean Towers

DEPTH
Key-position defenders:
Aliir Aliir, Michael Talia, Xavier Richards
General defenders: Alex Johnson, Lewis Melican*, Nick Newman*, Colin O'Riordan*
Key-position forwards: Nil
General forwards: Brandon Jack, Tom Papley*, Gary Rohan, James Rose
Midfielders: Abe Davis, Jordan Dawson, Jordan Foote*, George Hewett, Jack Hiscox, Tyrone Leonardis, Harry Marsh*, Sam Murray*, Dan Robinson
Rucks: Tom Derickx, Kyle Galloway*, Sam Naismith, Toby Nankervis

The retirement of Adam Goodes, Rhyce Shaw and Mike Pyke robs the Swans of plenty of premiership experience, but they have recruited well and should have the young players to step up. Zak Jones spent time in defence in the second half of 2015 and should get first crack at Shaw's vacant role with his impressive speed and foot skills. Callum Sinclair slots straight into the side as the back-up ruckman with Kurt Tippett assuming the No.1 role from Pyke. Star draftee Callum Mills should play straight away, while an injury free Ben McGlynn also helps cover the loss of Goodes. Elsewhere, Jeremy Laidler can replace Jones against taller opposition and will battle former Dog Michael Talia for a spot down back, while renowned tacklers Brandon Jack and Gary Rohan need more offensive output if they're to win a spot in the forward line. - Adam Curley
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016

Looks about right.

Sinclair's a key forward.

As Cadsky said Sinclair will not be playing reserves. But in saying that Abe Davis can fill the key forward role. The FF can go to Dawson who at this stage is 190cm. Nankervis is also pretty handy a a marking forward. But essentially you are right we haven't concentrated on drafting KF players due to our situation in having Buddy & Tip. We drafted a third tall in Dawson instead. We also drafted a small crumbing forward who has a proven goal kicking record. Essentially we have drafted players who can kick goals to add to Bud, Tip, Reid, Rose, Towers, BJ, Benny and Heeney (who eventually will move to the mids).

By the way I believe Macca will spend more time back this year allowing more time for Heeney in the mids and possibly Mills. Although mills can play HB,BP and is a very good intercept mark at both ends. When he came back Marty played him a bit off the HB line.

Next year's draft will be time enough to pick up a KF to develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back