Review Round 1 V St. Kilda. How to stop Riewoldt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Well! Here we are in the New Year, so figured we could get started talking about round 1. Less than 50 days away, I think?

For a slightly different change of pace, I thought I would include in the thread title the problematic areas when we played that team last time. Just to add some more discussion.

In this case, it's Nick Riewoldt. He kicked 4 and 7 goals against us in 2012, as Nathan Bock was not there to stop him. If we want to win, he cannot get a roll on.

Matthew Warnock obviously not the choice here, as he's not suited for those running forwards.

If Bock is fit and healthy, he goes to Riewoldt. But if he's not fit and ready, who do we put to him?

I'm tempted to say Lynch, but with him in a moonboot, would he be fit enough to go with Riewoldt?

I would go:

OUT: Coad, Taylor, Flanagan, Hine, Magin, May, Brown, Caddy, Weller, Hickey, Gillbee
IN: Swallow, O'Meara, Smith, Bock, Hunt, Prestia, Murphy, Broughton, Rischitelli, Lonergan, Brennan

FB: Murphy, Warnock, Harbrow
HB: Broughton, Lynch, Shaw
C: Rischitelli, Ablett, Prestia
HF: Stanley, Brennan, Matera
FF: Dixon, Bock, O'Meara

Fol: Smith, Swallow, Bennell

Int: Hunt, McKenzie, Horsley, Lonergan (S)

A lot of that depends on if Bock is fit or not. I don't think he'll be right to play anywhere except for out of the square at FF. For round 1 anyway.

Those on the cusp of selection will be Gorringe, Day, Schade, Allen, Gillbee, May, Hall. See how they go in the NAB Cup.

Long term Schade would be the perfect match up for someone like Riewaldt, but putting him on him in his first game would be extremely unfair. I think Thompson to Riewoldt and rely on the experience of Murphy and Broughton to block his space.
Bring on round 1:thumbsu:

Thompson should give it a crack as I think we have more to lose rather than gain by stretching Bock in round 1.

Long term Schade would be the perfect match up for someone like Riewaldt, but putting him on him in his first game would be extremely unfair. I think Thompson to Riewoldt and rely on the experience of Murphy and Broughton to block his space.
Bring on round 1:thumbsu:

Was just thinking that, hope he gets a few games.

Rory is an interesting idea. I always saw him as more of a stopper, though he did do an okay job against Petrie. Then he got injured. Would you consider Petrie and Riewoldt to be similar types of forwards?

I was a bit concerned with how Rory would go post his injury, but I think he's back in the main training group now?

Rory is an interesting idea. I always saw him as more of a stopper, though he did do an okay job against Petrie. Then he got injured. Would you consider Petrie and Riewoldt to be similar types of forwards?

I was a bit concerned with how Rory would go post his injury, but I think he's back in the main training group now?

He certainly has the size but whether he has the tank is another question. It's unlikely we will be able to stop Reiwoldt the whole game so there will be some damage mitigation, maybe play a few guys on him throughout the game.

as much as I hate to say this, but whatabout Brennan to Riewoldt? Alternatively, Brennan into the midfield as they wont have a big enough agile midfielder to go with him.

On what I think is a more positive note, they dont have Goddard anymore!!!

Plus some mention should be made to the return of Hickey vs us :)

as much as I hate to say this, but whatabout Brennan to Riewoldt? Alternatively, Brennan into the midfield as they wont have a big enough agile midfielder to go with him.

On what I think is a more positive note, they dont have Goddard anymore!!!

Plus some mention should be made to the return of Hickey vs us :)

I want to see Brennan put where he is comfortable and see what he is capable of, of he keeps up his. recent work ethic we may have a seriously dangerous player on our hands. Although it is not a bad idea.

How fit is Schade? Could rotate him and Thommo on Reiwoldt... as I said though... damage mitigation.

I want to see Brennan put where he is comfortable and see what he is capable of, of he keeps up his. recent work ethic we may have a seriously dangerous player on our hands. Although it is not a bad idea.

How fit is Schade? Could rotate him and Thommo on Reiwoldt... as I said though... damage mitigation.

I just dont want a 19 or 20 yr old on a mature 30yr old Riewoldt...thats just conceeding defeat to one of the best centre half forwards of the last decade. Why not Murphy? or Brennan? even May?

Warnock will probably get the stay at home forward in Kosi or if rotated with Reiwoldt. Mind you could always just try Warnock first up on Riewoldt, and Thompson to Kosi for the day. Kosi isn't anywhere near as damaging so I would be happy with that.

Tough call, be interesting to see what Bluey and co do.

If we win it certainly won't be won in our defensive half that's for sure, we are gonna need serious scoreboard pressure.

murphy cant play on the bigger forwards..
murphy will go to milne
I realise this, from watching him in some of the hawks games this year he reads the defensive play very well. He knows the right time to peel off his man to help others out in defence. Until we develop solid KPDs we will rely on experience to help out, by going third up to spoil or blocking the leading space of the KPF etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey party people, happy new year! Hope you guys have a good one this year, starting from R2. :D

Here is what I reckon our 22 will look like, just in case you want something to go off/refer to:

FB: Gwilt Simpkin Geary
HB: Dempster Fisher Siposs
C: Dal Santo Armitage Gilbert
HF: Saad Riewoldt Milera
FF: Stanley Wilkes Milne
R: McEvoy Hayes Steven
INT: Ray Ledger Schneider SUB: Lee
E: Jones Dunell Newnes Kosi Hickey

All good thoughts on how to stop Riewoldt. :) Fingers crossed the Coaches are genuises like us! :D

In the end, I think it will be a combination of a decent match-up on him, maybe Lynch or Thompson, and someone experienced peeling off to enter his running space. Like Broughton for instance.

Interesting to see that the Saints still don't have a big KPD. Granted I don't know much about their 22, but their back 6 looks like their biggest weakness for me. Will have to rely on Bock, Dixon, Lynch or Day to take some grabs on them.

Hey party people, happy new year! Hope you guys have a good one this year, starting from R2. :D

Here is what I reckon our 22 will look like, just in case you want something to go off/refer to:

FB: Gwilt Simpkin Geary
HB: Dempster Fisher Siposs
C: Dal Santo Armitage Gilbert
HF: Saad Riewoldt Steven
FF: Stanley Wilkes Milne
R: McEvoy Hayes Dal Santo
INT: Ray Ledger Milera SUB: Lee
E: Jones Schneider Dunell Newnes Kosi Hickey

He's good, but not that good! ;)

The key to Riewoldt and most of the star forwards is their tank working up and down the ground
We saw Lynch starting to do that at the back end of 2012 which for me was a huge positive
The obvious candidates to Riewoldt have been mentioned
The left field suggestions are Joel Wilkinson for aerobic capacity(probably not good enough) or Jack Hutchins (good enough but lacking match fitness)

what about steven may?
Didn't you guys have him on Riewoldt is Round 2 last year? Also think he was on Koschitzke for a bit. Kosi kicked 2 on him plus a few marks. Rhys Stanley is another that could possibly have a break out year in 2013 and you guys will also need to turn attention to him he was alright against you guys Round 2 last year kicked 2.1, 7 marks.

Anyways i don't expect us to win easily if we do win like previous games..

I just feel that Lynch is wasted as a backman, love him at CHF

Didn't you guys have him on Riewoldt is Round 2 last year?

Na. Warnock had Riewoldt for both games mostly. In round 2, Lynch went to Riewoldt and kept him a bit more quiet, but most of the damage was down with Matty Warnock on him.

May wouldn't be a bad option either. Is training very well in the pre-season.

The key is for us to have the ball, Riewoldt is too good for any of our defenders but it doesn't matter how good you are if the opposition has the ball.

Genius - so the team who kicks the most points wins :D

In all seriousness though, Do you think they will want to rush Hayes back after heart surgery? Could he play as a sub? Also is Montagna suspended early on?

Well! Here we are in the New Year, so figured we could get started talking about round 1. Less than 50 days away, I think?

For a slightly different change of pace, I thought I would include in the thread title the problematic areas when we played that team last time. Just to add some more discussion.

In this case, it's Nick Riewoldt. He kicked 4 and 7 goals against us in 2012, as Nathan Bock was not there to stop him. If we want to win, he cannot get a roll on.

Matthew Warnock obviously not the choice here, as he's not suited for those running forwards.

If Bock is fit and healthy, he goes to Riewoldt. But if he's not fit and ready, who do we put to him?

I'm tempted to say Lynch, but with him in a moonboot, would he be fit enough to go with Riewoldt?

I would go:

OUT: Coad, Taylor, Flanagan, Hine, Magin, May, Brown, Caddy, Weller, Hickey, Gillbee
IN: Swallow, O'Meara, Smith, Bock, Hunt, Prestia, Murphy, Broughton, Rischitelli, Lonergan, Brennan

FB: Murphy, Warnock, Harbrow
HB: Broughton, Lynch, Shaw
C: Rischitelli, Ablett, Prestia
HF: Stanley, Brennan, Matera
FF: Dixon, Bock, O'Meara

Fol: Smith, Swallow, Bennell

Int: Hunt, McKenzie, Horsley, Lonergan (S)

A lot of that depends on if Bock is fit or not. I don't think he'll be right to play anywhere except for out of the square at FF. For round 1 anyway.

Those on the cusp of selection will be Gorringe, Day, Schade, Allen, Gillbee, May, Hall. See how they go in the NAB Cup.
I like your team Sunny. I also doubt Bock will be ready for Riewoldt, so Lynch would be my choice too. If Lynch is not ready, I'd try May or Thompson. I don't think either of them could run with Riewoldt all day, so they'd probably need Warnock or Dixon to help out at times. I'd also expect our ruckmen to drop back & get in his way. Whoever plays on Riewoldt will need a lot of support. We have quality onballers & a raft of big guys, who can take a mark up forward. That's where our best chance of winning will come from.

He's good, but not that good! ;)
Yes he is. Haven't you heard, he's actually so good that he is going to play the role of two men, replacing Goddard and playing his usual role! :p

As for Lenny, his heart op wasn't a super-massive deal I don't think, as far as heart ops go and I'm pretty sure he was back doing full training before the Christmas break, so I fully expect that he'll be right to go from R1, all things being equal.

Our forward set-up is probably the area that is hardest to predict, with Riewoldt, Stanley, Wilkes, Kosi, Lee and possibly even Hickey potentially fighting for just 3 key forward spots. The competition for spots there will be fierce and whoever goes best in the NAB Cup will most likely get the spots. One of them may actually find their way into the backline, to give us some extra height there, so look out to see if any of them play in defence in the NAB Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back