Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood Magpies @ The Bank - 01/07/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel's odd to say that Mason Cox is their biggest threat in the forward line, I'm not sure we have a matchup for him? Other than to use Ballard who is undersized and try burn the big yankee on the rebound?

Feel's odd to say that Mason Cox is their biggest threat in the forward line, I'm not sure we have a matchup for him? Other than to use Ballard who is undersized and try burn the big yankee on the rebound?
"IF" he had any form or want to have a go, Chol would be a good match up for him. Gives away a bit of height but has a great leap.
Shame he's not even close to being in the picture

"IF" he had any form or want to have a go, Chol would be a good match up for him. Gives away a bit of height but has a great leap.
I believe Chol never played in defence. I doubt we would try him there.

I liked how Chol went about it against Box Hill. I don’t expect Casboult to last the rest of season and Chol will get another opportunity.

Last edited:

not sure Chol has a defensive bone in his body.

McRae’s men head to Queensland this weekend to face Gold Coast at Heritage Bank Stadium, where the record attendance set in round 16, 2014 – the day Gary Ablett did his shoulder – of 24,032 still stands. The top two figures at the venue involved the Magpies. The Suns are hopeful of breaking the record on Saturday night and getting close to the 27,500 capacity at Carrara.

The Suns are hopeful of breaking the record on Saturday night and getting close to the 27,500 capacity at Carrara.
How good would that be! The Suns v Pies fixture already holds the top two all-time attendance records at Carrara but it sounds like we have a shot at eclipsing the Titans' all-time attendance record at Robina as well (27,227, Titans v Broncos, 2009). That would really make a statement if we were to pull the largest club attendance in Gold Coast pro sports history this weekend. It's going to be a great atmosphere either way!

Any word on Maynard? Is he a chance to miss this weekend with that shoulder issue?

Saturday’s clash at Heritage Bank Stadium is a near-sellout, with fewer than 1000 tickets still available.
Gold Coast CEO Mark Evans urged fans to pack the stands this weekend and help break the club’s single-game attendance record at Carrara of 24,032, which was set in Round 16, 2014 against Collingwood.

“The record crowd is a little over 24,000 and we haven’t had a crowd about 20,000 (at Heritage Bank Stadium) since then. The maximum capacity for this week’s match is a little over 25,500,” Evans said.

“Whether we can beat the record will depend on the show rate of people who have access to seats, so I would encourage them to make sure their seat is being used either by themselves or a family member – and to make sure that we have plenty of red and gold representing the Gold Coast.”

Need to start well for a change. Would like to see a different set up for the first few minutes, Rowell seems to start games well but the other midfielders not so much. Rowell, fiorini, Flanders first bounce and start Anderson wing, swallow and holman high half forwards ready to crack in at every chance. Set the tone early and then the running power from Anderson can take over in the middle as the game wears on.

Doesn't sound like you'll take Nick, as Dew says he is untaggable. Some sides have tried it, not many have been successful. That just leaves 21 other players you have to watch out for.

Sometimes if there is no point in doing something if it makes no difference, then just back yourselves in and go head-to-head.

“He’s almost untaggable – I haven’t really seen it done successfully,” Dew said of the Brownlow favourite.

“I think a couple of teams have tried to target him and it almost feeds his motivation, so you’ve just got to get that line right … (and) there’s 21 other players you have to be concerned about as well.

“Clearly he’s the best player in the comp at the moment so like I said, he’s so influential, but it’s hard to just put a stop to one player.”

Dew feels the Suns “match up well” with the ladder-leaders and has once again backed in his midfield – which will be without superstar skipper Touk Miller for at least another week – to rise to the challenge.

Failed a fitness test. Can't see how he played tbh. Even if this foot issue is minor. The game is in 3 days and didnt complete the main session.
But we'll know more in the morning with the injury report
Any word on Titch, Jen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may be unlikely on paper, but Suns probably have to win this if we want finals to be a realistic chance. This may be our best chance against a top team: at home, healthy list, Pies have some big outs. And a massive crowd too!

Last time we had so many people watch a game it was an inspiring win that ultimately broke the club. Hopefully this time, it’s an inspiring win that forges our season.

In a perfect world, we win the game, get Touk back and go from there.

No changes
Hmmmm
Big difference between playing witches’ hats last week and actual witches this week
Pretty sure a few of our boys gonna get found out
I would probably have given Lemmens a game and dubbed Oea if Dew really wants to keep playing him
Lemmo can play anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would’ve swapped Oea and Atkins, but hard to take much away from last week.

Good opportunity to see who sinks or swims against the best with plenty of players waiting for their turn in the VFL.

Would’ve swapped Oea and Atkins, but hard to take much away from last week.

Good opportunity to see who sinks or swims against the best with plenty of players waiting for their turn in the VFL.

Agree. I feel Oea is our weakest link in this team. He is definitely a feel-good story and the club has pumped him all week, but Atkins would provide more consistent run & carry.

Fo those interested from 3:27 Dews answers question about what Oea has done to force his way into the line-up. I agree :p

Last year, we were one of the best teams to keep the ball in our forward line. This year, we struggled in that area with 3-4 talls line ups. Weller and Oea brought much needed speed and pressure.

There was no weak link against Hawks :) It was a team performance.

I am happy that Atkins is finally starting to play decent footy. If he should replace someone to get into the line-up it would be probably Ellis for me as Atkins can play similar role while he makes less mistakes and makes better decisions, has better kick and can run too.

Last edited:
Keen for the sell out!

Gary Abletts redemption!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back