Autopsy Round 16 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, 2.40pm AWST 8 July 2018, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

S#*t kicking is s#*t football.

Taranto head ripped off - nothing
Soft as melted butter ticky touch s#*t at the other end.
Well done umps. Got em over the line in the end.

But it shouldn’t have come down to that.

S#*t kicking. F#**ing pathetic.

Blue and white striped butchers aprons for the whole team this week.

Yeah, Eagles deserved that. We were in the game and even briefly ahead but I felt they were the better structured team out there - looking at their uncontested mark counts and how often they got a man free in space on their side of the contest.

Agreed their structures and spread were definitely better than us, hence the nice uncontested marking brand of footy. With Lobb and Himmelberg being positioned so high up the ground to mark the ball down the line whilst we were attacking, there was no way bombing long to Langdon, Daniels, De Boer, etc. was ever going to work too well. Needed at least one tall to hang back and make a contest.

Had a crack but couldn’t quite do it. Proud of the effort but disappointing. Not our year.
Considering the outs, the fact we almost pinched that is massive. Unfortunately the way the injuries have gone there is no way we beat Richmond next week. And that may be our season. After a tough start to the AFL, it will be really Wierd as a giants supporter to miss the 8

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

S#*t kicking is s#*t football.

Taranto head ripped off - nothing
Soft as melted butter ticky touch s#*t at the other end.
Well done umps. Got em over the line in the end.

But it shouldn’t have come down to that.

S#*t kicking. F#**ing pathetic.

Blue and white striped butchers aprons for the whole team this week.
Unfortunately no where near as bad as usual. I more than anyone get frustrated at the umpires in West coast games. But thought it was fair tonight. I hate them with a passion but man they deserved it. What a ripping game of footy

I called it earlier in the week with the accuracy. I hope this game is a wake up call to the coaches to concentrate on goal kicking. I want to see every player have 1000 kicks on goal this week at training.

QUOTE="Simmofreo, post: 56673994, member: 135092"]Unfortunately no where near as bad as usual. I more than anyone get frustrated at the umpires in West coast games. But thought it was fair tonight. I hate them with a passion but man they deserved it. What a ripping game of footy

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

Thought both teams got their fair share of free goals from questionable offences, albeit the ones against us piled on in the final few minutes but we also didnt look very desperate not manning up on the opposition when the seconds were ticking. Not a completely unexpected outcome but more annoyed we let an opportunity slipped away perhaps along with our finals hopes. But hey, at least hopefully no major injury concerns right?

Am hopeful we dont get smashed next week with potentially greene, hopper and potentialy deledio back.

Thought both teams got their fair share of free goals from questionable offences, albeit the ones against us piled on in the final few minutes but we also didnt look very desperate not manning up on the opposition when the seconds were ticking. Not a completely unexpected outcome but more annoyed we let an opportunity slipped away perhaps along with our finals hopes. But hey, at least hopefully no major injury concerns right?

Am hopeful we dont get smashed next week with potentially greene, hopper and potentialy deledio back.
Considering it was a WCE home game we got GOOD umpiring. Overall it was fair umpiring but compared to what usually happens over there....

Wasn't umpiring that lost us this game, purely goalkicking.

QUOTE="Simmofreo, post: 56673994, member: 135092"]Unfortunately no where near as bad as usual. I more than anyone get frustrated at the umpires in West coast games. But thought it was fair tonight. I hate them with a passion but man they deserved it. What a ripping game of footy

Am hopeful we dont get smashed next week with potentially greene, hopper and potentialy deledio back.[/QUOTE]

Yep next week is huuuuge but you know what I am slowly getting the confidence that we are one of the only teams that can do it. If the Bulldogs can sneak into the 8 and win a flag we can

Greene and lids make more of a difference than you think. Greene will kick 3 first game back. That would have won it tonight

Yep next week is huuuuge but you know what I am slowly getting the confidence that we are one of the only teams that can do it. If the Bulldogs can sneak into the 8 and win a flag we can

Greene and lids make more of a difference than you think. Greene will kick 3 first game back. That would have won it tonight

I dont doubt we can do it, but we have to hone in on getting people behind the ball and make sure our tackling is on point since the tigers just keep tapping the ball forward at all costs.

Feel like greene will be good from the getgo too (at least another good marking target up front who can also crumb) but have a feeling lids might need a couple of games to get back in the groove and gain some confidence again.

Nevertheless, I have my fingers crossed!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
Both sides had big game players missing mate. Agree with you on Green though that guy is an absolute match winner

Probably overlooked in the significance of everything but another positive is I thought daniels had a good debut. Did some clever things marking and at ground level and zipped well across the field. Of course missed an easy run in kick OOTF, but the composure will hopefully come with time. Glad we picked him up!

Unfortunately no where near as bad as usual. I more than anyone get frustrated at the umpires in West coast games. But thought it was fair tonight. I hate them with a passion but man they deserved it. What a ripping game of footy

Yeah, concede that for most of the game there were very few complaints, surprisingly. Just the last 10 minutes when they lost the plot. But as I said 25 scoring shots to 21, it shouldn’t have mattered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty gutted, but a good effort and realistically, this is so much better than what was being produced 6 weeks ago. The run, intensity and creativity is there. So impressed with the chain of handballs in tight congestion.

I wonder whether Cameron would have made a difference?
Thanks for your input mate. Really beneficial to everyone.

Sam Taylor is unreal. Daniels was super in his first game in a hostile environment.
No way we beat Richmond... they are flying. In that case that’s our season done.
Our priority has to be trying to keep players fit... maybe do some acl prevention stuff... something needs to change because injuries have killed us over the last 18 months.
We should not be missing finals with the list we have.
If we don’t make top 4 next year i’d Be going straight after clarkson.

That was a gutting loss. I really feel if we could have snatched that then the confidence in the dressing room to go on a run for the rest of the season would have been sky high, especially with all the cattle to come back. Pray for a miracle next weekend!

Probably overlooked in the significance of everything but another positive is I thought daniels had a good debut. Did some clever things marking and at ground level and zipped well across the field. Of course missed an easy run in kick OOTF, but the composure will hopefully come with time. Glad we picked him up!
How could I forget that !!! Found a potential star there

That was a gutting loss. I really feel if we could have snatched that then the confidence in the dressing room to go on a run for the rest of the season would have been sky high, especially with all the cattle to come back. Pray for a miracle next weekend!
A loss like that doesn't dull confidence though. They know they should have won it. 58,000 fans to maybe 30 in the ground.

Losses like that galvanize a team

Felt for him when he was left deep one out against Hurn a few times,while Lobb and Himmelburg were higher up. That's a big ask for a debutant.
:) Should be all downhill from there at least.

Plenty to like about the Giants today I thought, and based on the last month you wouldn't be out of place in the 8. Looking at your up-coming draw though ... ouch! Gets worse before it gets better. @ West Coast, then vs Richmond, then @ Port is about as tough a trio of games as you can have.
Meanwhile the Hawks next few are Brisbane, Carlton & Freo, so the gap to 8th likely gets wider. Could see the Roos stumbling, but someone else needs to as well.

Considering the outs, the fact we almost pinched that is massive. Unfortunately the way the injuries have gone there is no way we beat Richmond next week. And that may be our season. After a tough start to the AFL, it will be really Wierd as a giants supporter to miss the 8

We Eagles pinched that, anyone who writes off the Giants is not a realist - good luck v the Tiges, I'll be cheering for you guys, a touch of luck is what you needs.
Cheers guys !!!

Felt for him when he was left deep one out against Hurn a few times,while Lobb and Himmelburg were higher up. That's a big ask for a debutant.
:) Should be all downhill from there at least.

Yea if Toby comes back next week, ideally would like to see one of HH/Lobb/Tomlinson and Greene staying deep forward to mark or bring the ball to ground with Langdon and Daniels crumbing or taking some easier chest marks. We should be much more potent if Tobes can make it back. That can leave 2 of the previously mentioned tall boys and big Dawson to try and pluck a mark further down the ground when the ball gets kicked down the line (as that seems to be the route we are opting for mostly these days). Would like to see more run and carry with the ball through the corridor starting from players like Shaw/Finlayson/Whitfield/Corr to our mids as I feel it is more dangerous and less luck involved (with contested marking), but I can understand without Scully making up a bulk of the running we can easily get exposed on the turnover. Our players also need to communicate more with each other to prevent things like the HH brainsnap (run over and reassure the guy to take the shot or let teammates know when they are about to be run down). Another big thing is reckon as a defensive unit, we definitely need to work on covering the switch alot faster than we were today, was frustrating seeing the loose eagles players flooding to the other side and moving the ball with uncontested marks into their forward 50.

Imagine back in 2016 if we didnt have Mummy, Johnson, Cameron, Patton, Greene, Dev Smith, Scully, Wilson and Williams playing, we would have got absolutely thumped every game. Although our ladder position might not reflect it, feel we have come a long way as a group.

Shannon Hurn had a field day against an undersized Langdon. If we had either Patton or Cameron in that side today's outcome would have been different.

Patton's situation is out of his control but Cameron going in with the elbow the other week seems to have cost us our season.

Haynes and Griffen had excellent games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back