Autopsy Round 16 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, 2.40pm AWST 8 July 2018, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Hurn had a field day against an undersized Langdon. If we had either Patton or Cameron in that side today's outcome would have been different.

Patton's situation is out of his control but Cameron going in with the elbow the other week seems to have cost us our season.

Haynes and Griffen had excellent games.

Feel like not having cameron and patton was a factor for them not swapping mcgovern and allen around in terms of their position. If mcgovern switched to defence, would have nullified what advantage we would have had with cameron/patton.

Feel like not having cameron and patton was a factor for them not swapping mcgovern and allen around in terms of their position. If mcgovern switched to defence, would have nullified what advantage we would have had with cameron/patton.
Allen played well in defence for a debutant as well, in the end we were overly reliant on Tommo's high wing leads until HH bloomed in the 2nd half

great effort considering we didnt have our 3 best forwards on the park - poor kicking lost us the game - deserve to lose if you kick more behinds than goals.
we're still in the hunt, only half a game out of the 8. big test against Richmond but Toby will be a massive inclusion for us, hope we get a good turnout, we can probably afford to lose (its very likely we will - Richmond look fantastic), but another good effort like tonight and we can give them a run.

hope the boys shake this off, get back up off the canvas and go again next week, season is still alive - c'arn Giants !!!
It was a terrific hard fought game - you do realise we were also missing our best 3 forwards as well so think it was balanced out there - also missing our 2nd best KPD. So both teams missing some key players. Not good to have missed so many shots but GWS had the time to come back from there as wasn't it mainly in the 1st half of the game when you guys were inaccurate? Hope you knock off Richmond next week anyway to knock them off their perch and to keep your season alive.

It was a terrific hard fought game - you do realise we were also missing our best 3 forwards as well so think it was balanced out there - also missing our 2nd best KPD. So both teams missing some key players. Not good to have missed so many shots but GWS had the time to come back from there as wasn't it mainly in the 1st half of the game when you guys were inaccurate? Hope you knock off Richmond next week anyway to knock them off their perch and to keep your season alive.
You should be very proud of your mids, they put in an outstanding effort.
It'll be strange us going in as long odds outsiders at Spotless next Saturday night. Hasn't happened since 2015. For me there's not much to dislike about our game, sometimes you just get outplayed, so I'm not giving it up.
Good luck for the rest of the season, I guess it's a home QF you're targeting. I definitely think you're good enough to do it.

Yea if Toby comes back next week, ideally would like to see one of HH/Lobb/Tomlinson and Greene staying deep forward to mark or bring the ball to ground with Langdon and Daniels crumbing or taking some easier chest marks. We should be much more potent if Tobes can make it back. That can leave 2 of the previously mentioned tall boys and big Dawson to try and pluck a mark further down the ground when the ball gets kicked down the line (as that seems to be the route we are opting for mostly these days). Would like to see more run and carry with the ball through the corridor starting from players like Shaw/Finlayson/Whitfield/Corr to our mids as I feel it is more dangerous and less luck involved (with contested marking), but I can understand without Scully making up a bulk of the running we can easily get exposed on the turnover. Our players also need to communicate more with each other to prevent things like the HH brainsnap (run over and reassure the guy to take the shot or let teammates know when they are about to be run down). Another big thing is reckon as a defensive unit, we definitely need to work on covering the switch alot faster than we were today, was frustrating seeing the loose eagles players flooding to the other side and moving the ball with uncontested marks into their forward 50.
We definitely miss Scully's run, William's as well. I'd love Toby back but he's missed a lot of footy and I'm not convinced he comes straight into the team, I hope. He might need a run in the NEAFL.

Do you think the bulldogs will make mcCrae come back through the twos? Stars play if fit
That's not a given after missing 10 rounds. Leon is doing a press conference and we'll find out more. I suspect he'll say it will depend a lot on tomorrows training session though. I really couldn't give a flying * what the Bulldogs do.

I really couldn't give a flying **** what the Bulldogs do.

You don't deal well with analogies, do you?

Last year, when returning from injury:
  • Cameron, Kelly, Williams, Haynes didn't play NEAFL at all.
  • Hopper and Lobb had one game each.
  • Cogs had one game once and didn't once.
It varies a lot, so I'm going be controversial and say it really depends on the injury, the player's fitness, and weird airy-fairy stuff like that. Given Greene largely plays up forward these days it wouldn't surprise me to see him come straight in when fit.

Last edited:
You don't deal well with analogies, do you?

Last year, when returning from injury:
  • Cameron, Hopper, Kelly, Williams, Haynes didn't play NEAFL at all.
  • Hopper and Lobb had one game each.
  • Cogs had one game once and didn't once.
It varies a lot, so I'm going be controversial and say it really depends on the injury, the player's fitness, and weird airy-fairy stuff like that. Given Greene largely plays up forward these days it wouldn't surprise me to see him come straight in when fit.
If you actually read what I said it's not contradicting what you said.
And no I dont give a flying * what the Bulldogs do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed not to get the points in the west but the Eagles players stood up in the big moments and were just stronger around the contest, Redden, Shuey and NN around the contest and then Hurn in defence got the job done and defensively they worked hard as well to limit the impact of Kelly, Shiel, Whitfield and Shaw
Still some good games by the players but the bottom 4-6 are not getting it done, HH missing a couple that he should have put away and the same for Langdon, Shiel and Reid others probably as well but that is where the Giants lost the game. I will say I think HH performed ok and I can see him kicking a bag before the end of the season
Although it was Daniels first game I don't think he can play in the same forward line as Langdon as 2 players in the front half sub 175 and still very inexperienced is just giving too much advantage to the opposition defence
Reid IMO needs to have more impact around the ground in order to earn a contract for next year which I would like to see, if he can average 15 possessions, a goal a game and up to 5 tackles a game he could be on the list next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back