VFL Round 16 - Williamstown vs Collingwood at Point Gellibrand Oval (We lost 65-97, replay & stats p12)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Marsh doesn't get picked next week the selectors have NFI. He held our backline together and his marking, spoiling and yes his kicking were all first rate in tricky conditions I thought. Benny Reid should also get a game. He looked a bit underdone but moved very well and really stretched the calf out with some good defensive efforts and got better as the game went on. Blair has his critics but really he's too good for our seconds side and should be in next week too.

Outside of these and maybe Karnezis (who despite his many faults is a natural goal kicker and there is a paucity of them at the Pies) no one else really stood out. One things for sure Jesse White did himself no favours today. He was putrid I thought. Couldn't hold a mark and seems mentally averse to providing a physical contest despite being one of the biggest men on the ground. Very disappointed with his game today.

What if Reid's body is still unable to get through 4 quarters of AFL footy?

We might have lost because Moore would have been the only forward? Oh hang on...that happened anyway..whats the difference?

Reid has played six VFL games now....with one minor hiccup. If hes not ready he'll never be ready. The club was prepared to play a half fit Elliot....

Short review;

7. Ben Kennedy, or should I say number 72. Had a good day without being brilliant, His tackling was top notch once again.
9. Jesse White; Hmm, didn't dominate but tried hard, funnily enough he performed about as well as he has been at senior level, not bad, not great.
11. Jarryd Blair; Typical Blair game really, laid some nice tackles, put the pressure on, showed he is too good for this level.
14; Clinton Young; I was on turnover count today, was up to 8 at three quarter time from this one man, wearing number 14. The one in the third term cost us any chance of winning, woeful.
17; Jonathan Marsh; BEST ON GROUND, at least for us, if not for the whole game. Brilliant in defense, never beaten one on one, and took them on today. Also hit his targets by foot. No reason why he doesn't play next week, none.
20; Ben Reid; Spent the entire game within 60 metres of our goal. Looked like he was told not to go too hard, but got better as the game went on. Missed a crucial shot into the wind early in the final term
27; Tony Armstrong; He went aorund
28; Ben Sinclair; Very good and getting better. Still prone to errors by foot but he was impressive today.
33; Patty Karnezis; Our second best player I though, worked hard all day and finished off a few nice goals. He played up the ground a lot and would have had a lot of it.
38; Matthew Goodyear; Quiet day I thought
39; Michael Manteit; Went ok, tries hard and lays some nice tackles, needs to build that body up.
44; Corey Gault; Not a day for big man but he did ok.
46; Mason Cox; Not a great day for Coxy, tried hard but he really struggled to judge the ball in flight in the windy conditions.

Of the VFL boys Pendlebury, Borthwick, Hellier and Moloney stood out I thought.

We might have lost because Moore would have been the only forward? Oh hang on...that happened anyway..whats the difference?

Reid has played six VFL games now....with one minor hiccup. If hes not ready he'll never be ready. The club was prepared to play a half fit Elliot....

In his six games though, most of them he has only played 3 quarters or been just chilling out in the goal square.

Going on that summary you'd have to look at Sinclair Reid and Marsh....possibly Karnesiz for next week.
Add Kennedy and you have the 5 in contention out of today I reckon, maybe Blair too.

White doesn't particularly deserve a recall, but he simply has to play until Cloke is back.

Once we have Cloke and Moore I really couldn't care if White plays VFL.

One or the other I agree. Time to play Reid. Hes not going to get any fitter in the VFL and if he breaks down hes equally as likely to do it in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williamstown used the wind way better, which was the difference. It was blowing diagonally across the ground and favoured one pocket with Williamstown kicking or setting up most of their goals from there.

Blair - played on ball and was important in the clearances, like others have said a step above vfl. Obviously not the role he plays in the seniors, so wondering if his demotion was more about getting some run into his legs.

Reid - didn't influence the game as match as last week, but reckon he looked better. Wasn't anchored to the goal square as much and got up onto the wings. Movement a lot better and really put into some chases.

Gault - better game this week, especially the first half. With Reid and White/Cox also forward he was able to lead a bit more taking a couple of nice marks.

White - disappointed in his game, had a crack, but didn't hold his marks and you really want him dominating this level.

Cox - slightly down game this week, some nice taps, but beaten around the ground by a much smaller opponent. Think having all of Reid, Gault and White in the side affected his forward game.

Sinclair - really built on last weeks game, tackled and chased well, but I was most impressed with his intercept marking. One of our best.

Marsh - another really solid game, great defensively, knows when to mark or punch and again took the game on. Also liked seeing him use his strength to brush opponents off. Noticed he handballed more this week instead of just bombing it forward, which I assume was an instruction.

Armstrong - one of his better games, played the spare man in the back half and was used time and again to bring the ball forward.

Kennedy - done what you'd expect at this level, like Blair was important around the stoppages.

Karnezis - looked better in the last quarter when he played half forward. Set up quite a few shots on goal. It's the role I think he's best suited to.

Young - played half back this week and while his long kicking stood out I think he's more effective on the half forward line.

A pity Trade Draft , but besides the point he would have kicked that one at Victory park with his eyes shut lol, but by gee he's still gotta footy left in him, I just hope that his injury is put to death once and for All, I think CAREY is on the money with White, needs psych treatment and YOUNG needs a stint in the Regular Army FOR Disciplinary training Indefinetly. ...

Nice moment at the VFL today, Moore and Scharenberg walk into the quarter time huddle and Matty is swamped by all the VFL staff congratulating him on his debut yesterday, Moore found it funny;

11800178_508317122666953_2921661206057470456_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back