VFL Round 16 - Williamstown vs Collingwood at Point Gellibrand Oval (We lost 65-97, replay & stats p12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like Goodyear has a quiet game every week o_O
Goodyear has been played out of position a ton this year. He can be a ball magnet when played through the guts, but I think they are trying to develop other parts of his game. He got hardly any of the ball the other week, but blanketed his opponent and the coaches named him in the bests.

Goodyear has been played out of position a ton this year. He can be a ball magnet when played through the guts, but I think they are trying to develop other parts of his game. He got hardly any of the ball the other week, but blanketed his opponent and the coaches named him in the bests.

Perhaps, but if he puts up numbers like this again next year I don't see him staying on the senior list. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but he isn't a 7ft giant, needs to show something.

Perhaps, but if he puts up numbers like this again next year I don't see him staying on the senior list. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but he isn't a 7ft giant, needs to show something.
I'm hoping that they're treating this year as a development year for him and next year throw him in the middle to do what he does best. I hope he makes it, the kid is seriously quick when he puts the afterburners on. He and Freeman (if he ever gets back on the park) could really cause some headaches for opposition teams bursting from packs in the middle.

Collingwood 2.4 5.6 7.6 9.11 (65)
Williamstown 0.2 4.9 7.10 14.13 (97)

GOALS
Collingwood: Karnezis 2, Hellier 2, Pendlebury 2, Jarryd Blair, Ben Reid, Jack Blair
Williamstown: Anastasio 5, Banner 3, Masters 2, Lockwood, Sing, Clouston, Bewley

BEST
Collingwood: Marsh, Armstrong, Karnezis, Wallin, Jarryd Blair, Pendlebury
Williamstown: Banner, Anastasio, Faulks, Marcon, Masters, Johnstone

Nice moment at the VFL today, Moore and Scharenberg walk into the quarter time huddle and Matty is swamped by all the VFL staff congratulating him on his debut yesterday, Moore found it funny;

11800178_508317122666953_2921661206057470456_n.jpg

Was that at QTR Time or 3qtr Time?

I'm hoping that they're treating this year as a development year for him and next year throw him in the middle to do what he does best. I hope he makes it, the kid is seriously quick when he puts the afterburners on. He and Freeman (if he ever gets back on the park) could really cause some headaches for opposition teams bursting from packs in the middle.

Freeman has 10 kilos on him despite being pretty much the same age.Don't see Goodyear bursting through packs, has a very lean frame.

maybe the club just see him as a long term quick tagger and that's what they are playing in the VFL as.

Freeman has 10 kilos on him despite being pretty much the same age.Don't see Goodyear bursting through packs, has a very lean frame.

maybe the club just see him as a long term quick tagger and that's what they are playing in the VFL as.
I think Goodyear is a bit more inside than Freeman from what I've seen though. Freeman might be the guy sailing past for the handball receive after Adams wins it from the tap. Goodyear plays more like Swan I reckon without the requisite size.

Thanks for the reports guys. Happy to see Reid get through. Sounds like Marsh and Sinclair must be close. I think either Reid or White have to come in. We can't go into another game with Moore as our sole tall forward. Even Carlton would be giggling at that. Could Marsh play Toovey's role? Or is he more a Frost type replacement?

Kaff and Freeman back within the month starts to make the VFL team look very good for finals, just need to remain injury free at AFL level. Plus Goldsack might return to AFL level relagating another to the twos.

Thanks for the reports guys. Happy to see Reid get through. Sounds like Marsh and Sinclair must be close. I think either Reid or White have to come in. We can't go into another game with Moore as our sole tall forward. Even Carlton would be giggling at that. Could Marsh play Toovey's role? Or is he more a Frost type replacement?
I wouldn't play White after today unless the club wants what he's offered recently. I reckon Marsh could play Toovey's role, but think the club sees him more as a Frost/Brown replacement.

I wouldn't play White after today unless the club wants what he's offered recently. I reckon Marsh could play Toovey's role, but think the club sees him more as a Frost/Brown replacement.
I noticed that you said White dropped a lot of marks. At least he's consistent;)

Not everyone can be built like Freeman at 19 years old. Pretty sure that someone close to his family posted here a little while ago that he's put on about 7 kg since arriving at the club, and they're holding him back a little in terms of weight gain so his body can adjust. Seems like he's not having much trouble bulking up, so I'm not too worried.

The last skinny 185cm kid we drafted from the Cannons was ok going through the guts. I'd be dissapointed if they tried to turn any kid in to a tagger in his first year, especially someone who is capable of winning a lot of ball like Goody is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Goodyear is a bit more inside than Freeman from what I've seen though. Freeman might be the guy sailing past for the handball receive after Adams wins it from the tap. Goodyear plays more like Swan I reckon without the requisite size.
You got it spot on.

Goodyear will be a significant upgrade on Seedsman and Oxley in a year or two. Inside and outside.

Here's the VFL ladder by the way. We are 3 games and percentage clear of 9th spot with 4 games left, so we will play finals.

Where we finish is the real question.

11822328_508309649334367_503126210636895549_n.jpg

Here's the VFL ladder by the way. We are 3 games and percentage clear of 9th spot with 4 games left, so we will play finals.

Where we finish is the real question.

11822328_508309649334367_503126210636895549_n.jpg

Top 4 is still a good chance.

Should be a % booster next Saturday

Goodyear will be a significant upgrade on Seedsman and Oxley in a year or two. Inside and outside.
Very different player. TRS is right in saying he is a very similar player to Swan. Hopefully he can fill that role in the midfield once he puts a bit of size on.

Not everyone can be built like Freeman at 19 years old. Pretty sure that someone close to his family posted here a little while ago that he's put on about 7 kg since arriving at the club, and they're holding him back a little in terms of weight gain so his body can adjust. Seems like he's not having much trouble bulking up, so I'm not too worried.

The last skinny 185cm kid we drafted from the Cannons was ok going through the guts. I'd be dissapointed if they tried to turn any kid in to a tagger in his first year, especially someone who is capable of winning a lot of ball like Goody is.

You are kidding. Is the club taking a long term view thinking the kid may take three or four years before he is really ready for the big time. Surely, not. According to some on BF if you haven't made it within two years you should be delisted as a useless spud. This is scandalous.

You are kidding. Is the club taking a long term view thinking the kid may take three or four years before he is really ready for the big time. Surely, not. According to some on BF if you haven't made it within two years you should be delisted as a useless spud. This is scandalous.
I know, it's a pretty controversial idea. Thought I'd roll with it anyway :drunk:

Very different player. TRS is right in saying he is a very similar player to Swan. Hopefully he can fill that role in the midfield once he puts a bit of size on.

He has more to offer than being a stoppage burst player. It's what he'll develop into which could be interesting given his speed and endurance

Here's another scandalous thought.. most kids don't make it.

If you aren't performing in the VFL, chances are you won't make it either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back