VFL Round 16 - Williamstown vs Collingwood at Point Gellibrand Oval (We lost 65-97, replay & stats p12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's another scandalous thought.. most kids don't make it.

If you aren't performing in the VFL, chances are you won't make it either.
Who's to say he's not performing in the VFL though? We're pretty lousy judges when we don't know what the coaches have tasked them to do.

Who's to say he's not performing in the VFL though? We're pretty lousy judges when we don't know what the coaches have tasked them to do.

All we can do is form an opinion based on the information we have.

If the coaches are happy with him, that's great. Personally I don't see much.

A low production low skilled slim inside midfielder with great speed. meh.

Last edited:

Coaches never task players with not tackling and not applying pressure, not getting a kick, and not using the ball effectively. So whatever they have tasked them with you can guarantee that if they aren't doing these basics of the game then they ARE not performing. These are the basic measures of a footballers contribution to a game and coaches ALWAYS focus primarily on them. AFL footy and coaching really has not changed into the mysterious rocket science some of you seem to think it is now.

We did too, I think the AFL team last year put me in a stasis and I didn't realise.

Understandable. It really wasn't a pleasant finish last year, was it?

Seems way down on confidence, in the last quarter he was one out in the goal with front position only to have the ball to bounce off his chest.
That is classic White no matter his confidence level.

Okay Here are my Report/Thoughts:

• Marsh BOG easily. Dominated Down Back and used the Ball okay
  • Sinclair had a good Sold Game. 1st Qtr put in his Contender of Mark of the Year
  • White just looked Lost and Gave away too many Frees(4?) in the Ruck
  • Gault I barley Noticed him. Took a few marks
  • Armstong did nothing special as Usual. Gets the Ball then just has his Short Kicks
  • PK shows he can Kick a Goal up Forward but still has large parts he goes Missing
  • Jarrad Blair had a Usual Blair Game. Tried his Heart out for 4 Qtrs
  • Liked Ryan Pendlebury’s 1st Half but fell away in 2nd Half
  • Scumps where Appalling in the 2nd Half

Good to hear Marsh is really performing. Cant wait to see him in.
Really hope Sinclair cant get up to scratch, we are dying for someone to take Toovey's spot right now. For mine, Goldsack, Sinclair or Ramsay would be the ones. All three injured.

I really hope we rookie Ryan Pendlebury. He seems capable, and for mine would be a better rookie fit for our list than having Keeffe back on it. Been very impressed with him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But to already be talking about a kid not making it after just over half a season is ridiculous.
Why is it "ridiculous" for a poster on a footy discussion forum to discuss whether or not he thinks a young draftee will make it?? .... and fyi we're well over half a season gone now now just to be a little bit factually correct.

Nice story in the Age today about Ben Reid.
Looks like he could be ready
Was interesting at Williamstown yesterday, there was a lot of media there, and they were all there for one man, Reid.

The channel 7 and channel 9 camera crews recorded their pieces before half time and pissed off home because it was too cold for them lol, lucky for them he didn't break down later on and they didn't miss a big story.

Strange game from Reid yesterday, it was like he was told not to extend himself at all early on, he stayed inside the forward zone for the whole game and never pushed hard up the ground like our AFL forwards do now leaving no one within 80 metres of the goal.

In the last quarter, after a talk with Ant Rocca and Bucks at 3/4 time, he raised his intensiity level and visibly increased his range of movement, getting more involved in the play then he had all day.

His highlight of the day was an intercept mark in the third term 60 metres out, he calmly lined the shot up and kicked it with the help of the wind of course;

Collingwood VFL @VFLPies

Ben Reid intercept mark. 60 out. With the wind. HE GOALS. 15 point lead #vflmagpies #PJVFL

I'd play him in the seniors next week, ahead of Jessica White anyway, and tell him to play the same role he did yesterday, staying deep forward and leading out of the goal square. We literally have nothing to lose at this point by playing him.

I'd play him in the seniors next week, ahead of Jessica White anyway, and tell him to play the same role he did yesterday, staying deep forward and leading out of the goal square. We literally have nothing to lose at this point by playing him.

I 100% agree I play Reid ahead of White. Reid is a Better Player and Better Set Shot on Goal. Even after missing the Shocker in the last Qtr

Was interesting at Williamstown yesterday, there was a lot of media there, and they were all there for one man, Reid.

The channel 7 and channel 9 camera crews recorded their pieces before half time and pissed off home because it was too cold for them lol, lucky for them he didn't break down later on and they didn't miss a big story.

Strange game from Reid yesterday, it was like he was told not to extend himself at all early on, he stayed inside the forward zone for the whole game and never pushed hard up the ground like our AFL forwards do now leaving no one within 80 metres of the goal.

In the last quarter, after a talk with Ant Rocca and Bucks at 3/4 time, he raised his intensiity level and visibly increased his range of movement, getting more involved in the play then he had all day.

His highlight of the day was an intercept mark in the third term 60 metres out, he calmly lined the shot up and kicked it with the help of the wind of course;

Despite his injury issues there are two reasons to play Reid ahead of White:

1. Reid is a better footballer; and
2. Reid is more likely to play in a Collingwood side that will play in a Grand Final.

Let's see what the selection committee selects.

both-jpg.30745

Thats why I, unlike you, refuse to prematurely write-off a kid in his first year.

Well that didn't make sense.

Please explain how we have ZERO information on Goodyear, even if we have seen him play only once? Or even read a review about him? That's called information...

While you're at it, why don't you show where I write Goodyear off? Just said it isn't likely he makes it as a long term AFL player, which at pick 48 and low production in the VFL, is being completely realistic.

It's obvious there is a possiblity he might step up his game in 2016 and go onto become a superstar, but all we can do is call it how we see it.

Blair 30 touches 9 tackles and a goal. Surely enough to get him back in the senior team.
White only 9 touches no goals, we need him in the seniors with no Cloke but we can't bring him back in after that performance.
Karnezis 28 touches 2 goals. I think we give him a shot, we need scoring power and he should play like his career depends on it because well, it kinda does...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back