Round 23 - AFL confirms Hawthorn v Carlton, 4.40pm, 5 September 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Richmond and North to play on the Friday. The other option was Hawthorn v Carlton, but Gil said this would give Hawthorn an advantage over Freo or West Coast!

Here we go again: It's OK to give one team an advantage over another, as long as THAT team ISN'T HAWTHORN.

Once again, the A.F.L have made their intentions loud and clear!

Richmond and North to play on the Friday. The other option was Hawthorn v Carlton, but Gil said this would give Hawthorn an advantage over Freo or West Coast!

Here we go again: It's OK to give one team an advantage over another, as long as THAT team ISN'T HAWTHORN.

Once again, the A.F.L have made their intentions loud and clear!
What happens if we finish 4th?
We fly to Perth to play on the Friday night. 6 day break and a 6 hour flight is really fair :confused:

Exactly my first thought. Where was this line of thinking when the AFL screwed over the Hawks with the PF scheduling in 2012?

At least that one seemingly left them with no options.

And we're still a moderate chance at finishing top 2 at the moment so they're reasoning is pretty baseless. Surely they could've waited a few more days to see the result of the West Coast v Hawthorn game before making this decision.

On the other hand, load up on the Eagles. The AFL won't like to be embarrassed when Hawthorn beats the Eagles and then eventually overtakes them for second spot.

Was always going to happen, tv wouldn't want another blow out like happened 2 weeks ago.
I will piss myself with laughter though if tigers manage to pull 4th spot and have an unfair advantage over Fremantle or West Coast.
Which i think is a big possibility. Please Tigers, let the afl once again end up with egg on their face.

Box hill vs Carlton Saturday round 23 ?
But Box hill will be playing their own finals that weekend

Was always going to happen, tv wouldn't want another blow out like happened 2 weeks ago.
I will piss myself with laughter though if tigers manage to pull 4th spot and have an unfair advantage over Fremantle or West Coast.
Which i think is a big possibility. Please Tigers, let the afl once again end up with egg on their face.

A dream scenario would be Freo V Tigers (with the extra day's rest) in Perth.

Hawthorn V Coasters at MCG.

This is still very possible. What then Gil? The West Aussies will come looking for your blood for giving the Victorian club the advantage?:oops:

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-04/tigers-roos-get-friday-night-to-kick-off-round-23

To be honest, Hawthorn has nobody to blame but itself for not securing Friday night and a long lead-in to the finals. Had Hawthorn beaten Richmond or, earlier in the season, not lost to Essendon or Sydney when they should have closed the deal, Hawthorn would have comfortably been in the top two.

Completely agree. The Bombers game and GWS games too.

We've made our bed we need to lie in it.

Our best is the competitions best.

The likelihood is that we go to Perth first week of the finals and need to steal a victory and then have a week off and a home final.

Having played on the ground this week, we should have first hand knowledge of how to master it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other hand, load up on the Eagles. The AFL won't like to be embarrassed when Hawthorn beats the Eagles and then eventually overtakes them for second spot.

We are going to get so boned by the umpires on Saturday night to ensure we don't win.

And the clowns at Subi will still boo....

No complainy, no explainy.
I'd be interested in folks opinions about going into finals against softer teams.
Will it work in our favour , given we are going through out "tough" part of the draw right now?
And do you think they were given extra training load during last week given the nature of the Carlton win?
The WHOLE team looked flat against Tigs, not just one or two.

I'd be interested in folks opinions about going into finals against softer teams.
Will it work in our favour , given we are going through out "tough" part of the draw right now?
And do you think they were given extra training load during last week given the nature of the Carlton win?

It actually worries me playing Carlton again the last round.
I would prefer a real contest as a tune-up for the finals.
They did us no favours 2 weeks ago.

Yep, genuinely concerned our soft finish will be a hinderance. Didn't help us the last few weeks, Sydney in last years finals series or us when we rested over half the side against Gold Coast in the final round of 2011. Geelong 2007 seemed to benefit from a tough PF while Port's easier one perhaps did not prepare them.

Geelong and Port should both be up for a tough one. Even if they're not in finals contention they are 2 sides that really want to beat us.

Brisbane and Carlton might want to finish their seasons on a high note but will probably be tanking for a better draft pick.

We don't want to go several weeks playing bruise free footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back