Put up a good fight for three quarters but ran out of gas in the last

Green shoots are there but some weeding needs to be done as well

Kelly was immense
Hough is going to be something. Ditto for Long and Maric
Hurn and Shuey have retired at the right time

A big off season lies ahead

Have at it

Kelly was terrific
Duggan probably needs to be only a mid next year, his last 5 games he has been very good for us
Petch continues to grow, you can see he is starting to believe in that mid role now
Hough showing a lot down back would love to see him on the wing
Rotham when he gets the ball and moves it straight away always looks better and his kicking when moving
on the run is very good

Positives:

1. Our season from hell has come to an end

2. We get a much better draft hand than we had a day ago, I don't think people were actively wanting us to lose but we hardly ever find ourselves in this situation so it's been unfamiliar territory, it's been a horrific season so we may aswell be rewarded with the best hand for the draft.

Negatives: Fourth quarter, unsure if it was purposely done but we came out a completely different team to the previous 3 quarters

Duggan's first half was outstanding; huge running, great decision making, (surprisingly) effective disposals and laid a fantastic shepherd. With Cole, Witherden, Hough and Jones in the back 6 there's no reason we couldn't use his size and experience in the midfield. I'm not saying he's going to be an elite midfielder but it's an area we're going to need bigger bodies and experienced heads in the coming years with the youth coming through.

Honestly just relief that this s**t stain of a season is over. Disappointed in the spoon but it's exciting to hit the draft with everything ahead of us.

+ve Otherwise, Hough was fantastic, Oscar too, intent was there and the team moved the ball well. Good signs for next year.

-ve They should've won by another 100pts really, if they weren't so inaccurate but at least the players still gave their all until they ran out of legs.

They did have plenty of scoring shots but a lot of them were snaps from deep in the pocket that were never really a chance

We cooked plenty of opportunities of our own usually a bit further up the ground though

What a conflicting match.

Feel like the team was competitive for the better part of three quarters, yet remains on the receiving end of an 8 goal loss, with scoring shots (-20) and inside 50s (-26), highlighting how one-sided the actual result was.

Completely ran out of legs before three-quarter time and the Crows took full advantage to blow out the margin to something they will believe is more reflective of their performance in this game.

Two club greats in Hurn and Shuey took to the field for a final time, and another in Naitanui, bowed out looking from from the sidelines much as he did on that final footballing day in 2018.

If a full stop was ever required upon the end of the last premiership era, tonight provided it.

West Coast to their credit, came out with a ridiculously ambitious approach to moving possession with pace through the middle of the ground, that was unequivocally geared towards trying to win - and it asked some serious questions of Adelaide's defence during those earlier phases.

Unfortunately, it also resulted in a high rate of turnovers, often in very dangerous positions. The Crows are the no.1 team forward pressure team in the competition and forced the Eagles into 45 defensive half turnovers. It's simply impossible to win when you provide the opposition with so much easy possession in attacking areas.

But, gee, how impressive did things look when it came off though...

And that's really where things are for this club right now. Looking for the glimpses of sunlight in a year of very dark storms.

Kelly again was immense. Duggan continued his very good form since being pushed into the midfield. Hough looks like he's played over 100 games already - he's only played 30 - his future is looking very bright. Long continues to look like our own developing version of L.Neale. Petruccelle moving to the midfield has been revelatory to the functionality of stoppage setups. B.Williams has gone from delist material in Round 1, to beating accomplished opponents in T.English and R.O'Brien in the last two weeks - he remains just 23 years old. Allen keeps on hitting the scoreboard despite so little supply. He is going to be a monster when possession starts getting forward more often.

On top of that Hewitt, Ginbey, Maric, Chesser and Culley are all under the age of 21. Just quietly, a good amount of talent has already been assembled that looks to have a future of promise.

And of course, it will be added to at this year's draft, starting with pick 1.

Unfortunately, having that in hand also means that the club has finished the season at the bottom of the ladder, picking up a second wooden spoon in club history.

It's somewhat ironic that the season has come to a close just as the club's form appears to have started to turn around.

But what happened earlier in the year cannot be ignored. Any club that loses by over 100 points five times in a single season or concedes a 200 point score deserves to get the wooden spoon.

It is what it is.

5 wins from the last 49.

But the days ahead are looking brighter.

H.Reid to wear the no.9 for West Coast next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff's tackle! Almost made up for his whole season.
Kelly is a Roll-Royce, a Maserati perhaps.
NN+JK have stacked on the burgers.
Great send off, props to the Crows
The coach's position to be resolved very soon you'd expect.
Then we truly move on either way.
Not fussed about a silly spoon, it comes with benefits.
Now for the draft. Promises to be an enthralling off/pre-season.

Last edited:
We were in the game til the Darling miss , I was genuinely afraid we could win at that point . I was barracking for the Crows so I know how well we played , weirdest game I have ever watched and I am a 20 year member . I was scared Norf would get pick 1 and 2 for Mackay compo . Then they pick Reid , Curtin . So the positive is we get the choice to do what we want with pick 1 .

Negative for me is how our club is run and how do we fix the Beagles

Spoon sucks cause I think we saw with a reasonable injury list we weren't the worst team in the competition.

If you're gonna get stuck with the spoon, having it in a year with a prospect like Harley Reid is the year to do it.

With North almost certainly having pick 2 and 3, it'll be interesting if they wanna do a deal to get up to Reid.

Players showed heart but fitness clearly a big problem. Never seen a team so obviously run out of gas so frequently as us this season.

Rotham and Petch showing a more attacking sensibility in recent weeks bodes well imo. I think Rotham in particular has too many good attributes to waste and I pray that the coaches can turn him into an AFL player going forward

Players showed heart but fitness clearly a big problem. Never seen a team so obviously run out of gas so frequently as us this season.

Rotham and Petch showing a more attacking sensibility in recent weeks bodes well imo. I think Rotham in particular has too many good attributes to waste and I pray that the coaches can turn him into an AFL player going forward
I was encouraged to see Roth go back with the flight late in the third I think it was. Yes he got crunched and got up sore but he impacted the contest with a spoil and showed a hard edge that to date has been noticeably absent from his game.

If we wants to stay on the list long term those are the Bungaesque efforts that are required.

There were things Rotham did that looked good to me, which is surprising.

Kelly was huge and his kicking looked on.

Duggan started very strong, has good ball control when paddling to his own advantage.

Gaff's run down tackle was brilliant.

Allen looks like he's a nice and tidy set shot with good consistency, but I've seen that he no longer goes all or nothing in every marking contest. He keeps his feet better now and gets a crack at the crumb or to apply defensive pressure. He's pretty good at controlling the ground ball off his own mark.

Darling has looked better at this back end of the season, is perfect second fiddle to an in form Oscar.

That's it then, hopefully next year we have Gov, Ryan and Yeo playing 20+ games with an extra pre-season in Hough, Ginbey, Long, Hewitt, Chesser etc and can win more games, with zero 100 point losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back