Autopsy Round 3, 2023: St.Kilda v Essendon *150 YEARS OF THE SAINTS*

Remove this Banner Ad

How badly is Eric Hipwood going!?

Check out his stats compared to 19yo Caminiti, who’s been in the AFL system for just a couple of months and hasn’t done a single full preseason:

I thought Stocker was going to be a waste of time but his ball use has been exceptional. It looked good in his highlights package but it’s nice to see that he’s a consistently good kick rather than them just picking his good ones for a highlights package. I still think Coffield has a bit more upside but until he can stay fit and take that spot off him it’s all his for now.

Stocker has a real physical edge that our other defenders don't. I was impressed by how much he uses his body to check players. He's got a bit of a less unhinged Steven Baker vibe. He makes players earn the ball if they can beat him. He doesn't pull up if there is a contest.

Was just saying this to a friend after the game on Saturday.
Will never, ever take the wins for granted either as we did to some extent in 09/10.
savour every moment.

Time for the new Streak DVD.

Really struggles with his composure when he's between 50-80 from goal. Has a bad habit of just kicking it as far as he can, regardless of the situation. I suspect Ross will nip it in the bud fairly quickly.

Part of that is that he's often broken through a line then has to unload into heavy traffic. Defences don't give many opportunities. I like Hunter Clark doing what looked like a munted kick that scrubbed inside 50 and resulted in a goal. If he'd roosted it it probably comes back out as quickly as it went in.

The way guys like Wood and Stocker were hitting targets... it's what this club has been crying out for for a long time. If we can keep improving our field kicking who knows what we're capable of.

The whole side looks better, part has to be systems give more time and space.

Part of that is that he's often broken through a line then has to unload into heavy traffic. Defences don't give many opportunities. I like Hunter Clark doing what looked like a munted kick that scrubbed inside 50 and resulted in a goal. If he'd roosted it it probably comes back out as quickly as it went in.

I see him kicking into a fairly open forward line and just not making the right choice, or butchering the kick.

If we're to challenge for a flag, we need Gresh to improve that part of his game.

I see him kicking into a fairly open forward line and just not making the right choice, or butchering the kick.

If we're to challenge for a flag, we need Gresh to improve that part of his game.

Gresh isn't far off a BOG performance IMO.

He's had an 'almost' start to the season with poor decision making, etc but was very good in the last quarter when they challenged us.

All the systems based stuff that has helped so many others probably hasn't worked for him as yet... he's at his best when he's freewheeling and unpredictable. We just need him to find that balance between what the rest of the team is doing & keeping that edge that makes him so exciting when he's up & going.

And he needs to stop being lazy AF on defence, which is standing out like dog's balls at present.

He's had an 'almost' start to the season with poor decision making, etc but was very good in the last quarter when they challenged us.

All the systems based stuff that has helped so many others probably hasn't worked for him as yet... he's at his best when he's freewheeling and unpredictable. We just need him to find that balance between what the rest of the team is doing & keeping that edge that makes him so exciting when he's up & going.

And he needs to stop being lazy AF on defence, which is standing out like dog's balls at present.

Yeah I'm in no way bagging him out.

Just think we need him at his best if we're to challenge. If he can be explosive and then be better with his decision making and execution, we'll have a real weapon.

As you said, he was good in the last quarter, but I found him frustrating for parts of the game. I think he's capable of better.

This kind of stuff really should be looked by all the sports science/tactics boffins around the league (and our own supposed gun in this regard- rath).

When you a faced with a 50/50 or worse target kicking inside 50- what's more effective:
A. Trying to hit your target or
B. Forget trying to hit the target- and instead just chaos ball it in their general direction (either with a scrub kick or a torp etc like higgins did).

I reckon the conventional wisdom that you always should try and hit your target is a lower success rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gresh (like clark) has had such little continuity- he's still very much a work in progress, nowhere near a finished product I think.

I've got no worries about gresh- he looks in amazing shape, is insanely talented and works hard.

Once he (hopefully) gets a clear run with injuries- he'll be as good as a sinclair is.

Found this tripe on a Geelong forum:
..but just a little perspective ... the vast majority of supporters of other clubs would trade 5 losing seasons including a couple of winless years ..all for one flag. Watching StKilda and their 150th celebrations ... trying to find a redeeming attribute in one flag in that time was like listen to a spoon full of sugar will help the medicine go down.. pretty bitter to be honest.

Nasty mob down there.

Found this tripe on a Geelong forum:
..but just a little perspective ... the vast majority of supporters of other clubs would trade 5 losing seasons including a couple of winless years ..all for one flag. Watching StKilda and their 150th celebrations ... trying to find a redeeming attribute in one flag in that time was like listen to a spoon full of sugar will help the medicine go down.. pretty bitter to be honest.

Nasty mob down there.
Short memory that wānker

I noticed it in game one, he looks a bit uncertain. It looks like they have given him licence to go when he gets a chance but his timing is slightly out. Lyon has always let a few players have time off the leash and it looks like he's one of them. When it clicks he could be a huge asset. I thought he was better each game but still only at about 50%.

We need to chaos ball it in a bit until we get King and Membrey back. Not too worried about his disposal to be honest, he's breaking lines and getting the ball inside 50 heaps. We just need him to stay fit IMO. Most defences cut off clean kicks so you need to hit up with perfect passing or unpredictable kicks. A bit of a mix is good.

Shame the ex skipper couldn't make the trip down under, guessing the wife wouldn't let him go

t6TpjjQ.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short memory that wānker

You've got to be a really s**t person to be all "that entity over there is celebrating a milestone, better s**t can it" as a first response.

Like what, can't be happy looking at your own reflections in your cups? Already filled with tears about how no one gives a s**t every time a new season rolls around and someone else gets crowned? How everyone talks about us, all the time, and how you'd love to have such relevance in footy parlance so need to be involved in some capacity?

It's really quite sad how insecure they actually all are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back