Preview Round 3, 2023: St.Kilda v Essendon - MCG, Saturday 1st April, 7:25PM AEDT *150 YEARS OF THE SAINTS*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 72.5%
  • Bombers

Votes: 28 27.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After floating through the Preview thread of this game on the Essendon BF page I've never wanted to win a game more than this one (Grand Finals aside obviously). A club that's spent the last 20 years as the laughing stock of the AFL world, labelled drug cheats and not making a finals appearance happens to think our 150 year anniversary is a joke.

Example comment:
"Let's face it, St Kilda's list is still crap.

All that's happened so far is that their supercoach has fashioned a credible looking house out of a bunch of very ratty twigs.

150 years of history says this moment is another false dawn, yet another "massive St Kilda highlight" that lasts for a few weeks and then falls over in a slight breeze.

Bombers by 40."

There are teams that can rub you the wrong way but I can genuinely say that 9 out of 10 Essendon fans I've met have been absolute flogs. That's a big generalisation but happy to run with it.

We don't have a good track record in these celebration games, but I genuinely hope we poleaxe these germs. 33% of our list out injured, Essendon on the upswing under a new coach, MCG under lights.... the scene couldn't be set any better.

After floating through the Preview thread of this game on the Essendon BF page I've never wanted to win a game more than this one (Grand Finals aside obviously). A club that's spent the last 20 years as the laughing stock of the AFL world, labelled drug cheats and not making a finals appearance happens to think our 150 year anniversary is a joke.

Example comment:
"Let's face it, St Kilda's list is still crap.

All that's happened so far is that their supercoach has fashioned a credible looking house out of a bunch of very ratty twigs.

150 years of history says this moment is another false dawn, yet another "massive St Kilda highlight" that lasts for a few weeks and then falls over in a slight breeze.

Bombers by 40."

There are teams that can rub you the wrong way but I can genuinely say that 9 out of 10 Essendon fans I've met have been absolute flogs. That's a big generalisation but happy to run with it.

We don't have a good track record in these celebration games, but I genuinely hope we poleaxe these germs. 33% of our list out injured, Essendon on the upswing under a new coach, MCG under lights.... the scene couldn't be set any better.
Agree about some Essendon fans but I do know one that's OK and have known him for 30+ years, don't have a lot of time for Cats fans, Blues
fans, Pies fans, Hawks fans, Tigers fans, BUT and it's an important but - I do have friends that support these ******* teams. So, yes, I do hate
all the other teams and a majority of their supporters. But some are OK people. Can't says this re: GWS, Crows, Port, Gold Coast or Eagles as I have
never known any of their supporters personally. I have known one Freo fan who was an interesting character. Born in Melb and never been to WA
apart from going to Freo games. Go figure. (he was an ex-Roys supporter).

Threads like this, make me so happy my late bombers supporting grandmother bought me Saints socks instead of Bombers ones when I was a toddler... and because my old man had a lot to do with Eric Banas family when he immigrated to Australia, he kept me on the Saints train... whilst remaining on a bomber fan (he became a Saints fan towards the end)... I was saved from turning into one of them...

Salute to you all!

Austin Powers Movie GIF

Agree about some Essendon fans but I do know one that's OK and have known him for 30+ years, don't have a lot of time for Cats fans, Blues
fans, Pies fans, Hawks fans, Tigers fans, BUT and it's an important but - I do have friends that support these ******* teams. So, yes, I do hate
all the other teams and a majority of their supporters. But some are OK people. Can't says this re: GWS, Crows, Port, Gold Coast or Eagles as I have
never known any of their supporters personally. I have known one Freo fan who was an interesting character. Born in Melb and never been to WA
apart from going to Freo games. Go figure. (he was an ex-Roys supporter).
Robbo on 360 is your typical Essendon supporter and he is an absolute flog.

Bombers remain the only club thus far where a supporter has sat beside me, already drunk off his ****, and accosted me to look as he tried to grab any females arse that walked by.

Everyone else has been largely tolerable even if the Freo mob were just factually wrong in everything they said, that was just funny. But yeah, F that bloated whale.

The only reason I'm looking for a win is because it is the 150 anniversary. Aside from that I am not overly fussed. For once I will be trying to look at a season through the same lens for the whole duration (or at least trying to), which is one of development. Seeing the likes of Owens, Pou, Windhager, Nas, Caminiti is exciting, looking with interest at Clark, Coff (eventually), Paton, King, Hayes and which will take the next step. Giving the club as a whole the time with Lyon in charge and seeing what unfolds long term and not being shortsighted on weekly results. I'll enjoy the ride and if we make finals then great but the club has regained some level of spirit in the last 6 months, something that realistically has been missing for a decade, considering its a year we are widely tipped as a bottom 4-6 club is a testament to the club and it's fans.

Which is why if we lose, idaf in the context of us vs the bombers and all their lurkers can take that to the bank. Give me the passion and character of st kilda over a bunch of zealots pedaling the same tropes for the past 20 years, must get boring spitting out the same prattle year on year about other clubs desperately grasping at historical context that few were there to appreciate.

Go saints.

Still think Melbourne fans are the absolute ******* worst but it’s always gonna depend who you know. The dees fans I know are all arrogant fair weather pricks. Every, single, one.

There are still some good Melbourne supporters around but some of them have become arrogant flogs since they won a flag like Richmond and Dogs supporters when they broke their flag droughts, it didn't take them long to forget how terrible they were prior to winning those drought breaking flags.

Essendon supporters have been arrogant flogs as long as I can remember despite being terrible for the last 20 odd years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Grief! Took a look at the Bombers page preview. Only a limp 18 pages to this point and what a bunch of flogs.

Bombers supporters need to inject into that preview page whatever it was that Dank was injecting into the players. Might go from limp to a rip-roaring erection of a preview page.
With all the mouth breathers in there though I doubt even a Dank injection can get that thing up.

I couldn’t have given him more credit but everyone I heard even said before both games that they move the ball to slowly and don’t go forward enough. Don’t worry Lyon was a huge part of both wins especially the first but Essendon won’t play like that. That doesn’t mean we don’t win or Lyon can’t come up with something else
I think large reason why the dockers and bullies went sideways is because they were forced to. If Essendon want to roll the dice they risk turnover big time. The fact they like to move forward IMO makes them more at likely give us the ball back.

Still think Melbourne fans are the absolute ******* worst but it’s always gonna depend who you know. The dees fans I know are all arrogant fair weather pricks. Every, single, one.

Some of my best mates follow the Tigers but some of the biggest campaigners in our bigger social group bring the rest down with them. Just the most painful AFL fans you could imagine. Geelong fans not far behind. I know a few painful Dogs fans too. A lot of the Blues and Pies fans I know are pretty good people so I hate them less than I should. Essendon fans are a mixed bag but most are at least tolerable because they've been s**t for so long they have no cockiness left.

There are still some good Melbourne supporters around but some of them have become arrogant flogs since they won a flag like Richmond and Dogs supporters when they broke their flag droughts, it didn't take them long to forget how terrible they were prior to winning those drought breaking flags.

Essendon supporters have been arrogant flogs as long as I can remember despite being terrible for the last 20 odd years.

I feel like they suffered so much that they are entitled to a short period of w***erness.

Is it an attitude thing?
I told a few of the boys a couple weeks back that I had heard the coaching group didn’t know what to make of Sharman.

As in, he is a tall that plays more like a small.

He doesn’t crash packs or provide a presence etc.

No whether it’s true or not - I’m not sure. It’s was something in passing.

I feel like they suffered so much that they are entitled to a short period of w***erness.
My problem with the dees supporters I know is less about their current arrogance and more about how arrogant they get after being mildly good.

I remember in 01 all the ones I knew were just positive they had the flag cause they made the granny in 00.

Same in 19 after the eagles flogged them in a prelim. It’s so stupid for a club who had a longer drought than we did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back