Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes to making moves , Fagan is like a deer in headlights.

Some of the players in that team deserved to be dropped, Oscar, Berry ,Payne. Payne is being showed up by Lester, who quite frankly displaying more desire and want ,than Payne. Payne this year looks soft , like a timid pussy cat. Brisbane needs a mongrel defender to help out.

The players ,bar a few, should hang their heads in shame. If they truly loved the club,Fagan, its supporters and the absolute best and greatest jumper in the AFL, they should have showed a lot more character than that. Extremely disappointing.

Time to reflect, and I would retire zorko at the end of this year along with JL and use their combined salary to look at free agents or players out of contract , like the Sydney player Errol GULDEN who is an absolute star and in my opinion a superstar. We need more class.

I would love Errol in our side.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why every time they took posession, they had 2-3 free players every single time. When we took posession, we had absolutely nothing and we just bombed it somewhere/anywhere.

I'd also like to report a crime. Apparently the downfield free-kick is missing, presumed dead.

I get where you're coming from, but a tall has to go for structure (IMO) and there's no way in hell I'm dropping Hipwood in favour of Fort.

We also need more pressure and tackling - Robertson is in the t am to provide this. He laid two tackles and nearly 50% of his disposals were turnovers. Only 9 pressure acts to boot.

For me, they were weak links above anyone else on the field.
Robertson hasn't had a great start. His tackling isnt what it has been. The injury over the pre season wouldnt have helped and from what i hear he has slimmed down this year. Was hoping he would keep adding size and be the guy to give Dunkley some help on the defensive side.

I can't see why we can't drop Hipwood or Oscar. This is what I'm talking about. The reluctance to drop guys that are best 22 and have been for years.

Robertson hasn't had a great start. His tackling isnt what it has been. The injury over the pre season wouldnt have helped and from what i hear he has slimmed down this year. Was hoping he would keep adding size and be the guy to give Dunkley some help on the defensive side.

I can't see why we can't drop Hipwood or Oscar. This is what I'm talking about. The reluctance to drop guys that are best 22 and have been for years.

I don't think the output of Fort would be much different to Oscar, but am absolutely not opposed to that.

I just don't think we can drop Hipwood. Got to try work through it.

I’m going to go back and rewatch the premiership last year. Adios

That's cute. We're still 2-1 against the Pies in grand finals though so at least we have the variety of two games to watch.

We aren't shutting teams down well enough. Each game this season our opponent has played by far their best game of the season. It's no coincidence.

The ball gets out of our F50 easily. The solution was not adding an extra ruck.

Lohmann HAS to start next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose if you try to look at it impassionately we should've been a lot closer at quarter time and then butchered it in the second when we spent all our tickets for 3 goals less than we deserved.

We were better than last week.

Shuffling deck chairs... could drop half the team on current form.

When we have a lot of good chairs in place - sometimes it's the little changes that can make big differences.

Throwing out plenty of tried and proven chairs is literally never a good strategy.

One mistake among many very good plays is okay though. Only turned it over two more times than Neale - who was by far the cleanest player on the field for us.

It's not okay. It's unforgivable. It was so clear, I said to my bro he has stopped and is standing still, was right in front of me. next minute....damn it was 2 mins after 1/2 time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suppose if you try to look at it impassionately we should've been a lot closer at quarter time and then butchered it in the second when we spent all our tickets for 3 goals less than we deserved.

We were better than last week.
I actually think we aren't that far off... hit more targets, hand passes, make some better choices, kick straighter for goal, more 50/50 umpiring calls go our way... and we win both our home games.

As long as we as a collective decide that this year is a write-off

It is. Thats why we should be preparing for the next three years. Get some kids in and experiment with roles and drop Fagan's favourites. Sadly that won't happen and this year will be a waste when it could be a major cornerstone moving forward.

We will have players fall off the cliff in the next year or two and its obvious who they are and no one is developing their replacements.

This year now needs to be a mini rebuild

Except we were clearly on top going into half time and the first 2 mins in the second half. He won a clearance handballed and stopped dead. Handball didn't hit it's target, bounced loose and the player Rayner should have been on picked it up ran forward and hit a player lace out. Momentum changed all because Rayner stopped dead and didn't run or pressure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on; there’s always excuses for Rayner. You’d be hard pressed to find such flaws with any other pick one in the comp. Yes he was ok tonight but you still expect more.

Rayner attended 2 of 7 centre bounces in the third and barely got any time on the ball.

He doesn't have to play as a full time mid, but IMO we absolutely need to utilise him at centre bounces more. He has the assets we are sorely lacking there.
Yes . That was my point. He wasn't getting a sniff where he was , why didn't we throw him on the ball ?

Yes . That was my point. He wasn't getting a sniff where he was , why didn't we throw him on the ball ?

Thought there was a few questionable coaching calls tonight tbh.

I thought Fagan's mantra was we just try and get better everyday, then explain why we still have the same issues 3-4 seasons on? bombing long kicks into our attacking 50, getting torched in transition defence etc.

When it comes to making moves , Fagan is like a deer in headlights.

Some of the players in that team deserved to be dropped, Oscar, Berry ,Payne. Payne is being showed up by Lester, who quite frankly displaying more desire and want ,than Payne. Payne this year looks soft , like a timid pussy cat. Brisbane needs a mongrel defender to help out.

The players ,bar a few, should hang their heads in shame. If they truly loved the club,Fagan, its supporters and the absolute best and greatest jumper in the AFL, they should have showed a lot more character than that. Extremely disappointing.

Time to reflect, and I would retire zorko at the end of this year along with JL and use their combined salary to look at free agents or players out of contract , like the Sydney player Errol GULDEN who is an absolute star and in my opinion a superstar. We need more class.

I would love Errol in our side.
I agree with a lot of your post but there is no way Errol is leaving his home state to join our club that will unlikely be anywhere near the top eight for the next decade.

Hipwood and Daniher gone back to being unreliable, All our tall defenders apart from Andrews are suddenly C grade, lost our run through half back (no "cut through" at all without Kiddy or McKenna), mids aren't circling back and defending, Lachie is the only mid getting in and under, ruckmen have no around the ground presence at all, that's my reading.

I think you need to start dropping guys who continue to play poorly. All of Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron, Berry, Bailey, Fletcher, Payne, Lohman, Dev, and Oscar have been pretty poor this year. Dunkley hasnt been at his best either. Just recycling the guys between 20 and 26 on the list isn't really going to get a response.

I think Fagan needs to sacrifice a regular best 22 player or two next week. Maybe it's Hipwood and Bailey? Maybe Oscar and Berry?

You have to do something.

He won't though. He bases his decisions on stats. His stats say we are close when we are not but that is what he sees and why he doesnt make big changes.

Back