Preview Round 3: Brisbane V Richmond @ GABBA - Saturday 7:20pm, 18/04/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our speed is only shown up when we don't move the ball quickly by hand and foot.... We move it forward quickly we will look quick, we move it sideways and slowly we look slow....

Yeah ive had this discussion before and agree to a certain extent, but give me a couple of line breaking options when we get closed down, which does happen a bit.

This.

Was driving me nuts at the game. Not just the crappy movement but the thought of dimma quoting possession efficiency based on backwards, chip and sidewards kicks. The following that up with, "a number like that usually wins games", or some other meaningless assertion based on a few stats in isolation rather than the big picture.
Its easy to rack up meaningless stats with 10 - 20m kicks and handballs backwards sideways etc but then someone thinks bloody hell lets go forward and kicks to a 3 on 10 contest. FFS if we can see how dumb it is to move the ball forward slowly why can't the coach? Even the commentators were getting frustrated last week. Either this is the coaches plan or he needs to start dragging blokes and chewing their ears off for doing it.

Cotchin especially needs to be told he will be dragged if he kicks less than 25m unless it lands on a FWDs chest inside 50.

Time for the coach to do just that, coach!

Its easy to rack up meaningless stats with 10 - 20m kicks and handballs backwards sideways etc but then someone thinks bloody hell lets go forward and kicks to a 3 on 10 contest. FFS if we can see how dumb it is to move the ball forward slowly why can't the coach? Even the commentators were getting frustrated last week. Either this is the coaches plan or he needs to start dragging blokes and chewing their ears off for doing it.

Cotchin especially needs to be told he will be dragged if he kicks less than 25m unless it lands on a FWDs chest inside 50.

Exactly.

We hear Dimma speak over and over about KPIs, and it frustrates me when he suggests all the KPIs pointed to a win (or many of them did) but ultimately "the result didn't go our way". So, what does that mean? Other than a way to calm down the jurnos and supporters? To me it means the KPIs are not an accurate model of success and need changing.

I'm all for ball security, so I'm in no way outlawing sideways kicks or even kicks backwards to try to hold on to possession, or break up a press/zone, BUT lets not use these as a retrospective measure of success, or point to these easy kicks as an indication of our skill level. How about counting the number/percentage of successful kicks to advantage where a realistic, or even a slightly risky option was on down field? How about we tally the number of times guys took a cowardly option of the sideways kick to a meh option when a much better attacking option was on downfield?

I'm starting to be a bit facetious in the last comment, but my real point is let's overhaul the KPIs to be better micro-measures of success. Stop using them as PR tools

This.

Was driving me nuts at the game. Not just the crappy movement but the thought of dimma quoting possession efficiency based on backwards, chip and sidewards kicks. The following that up with, "a number like that usually wins games", or some other meaningless assertion based on a few stats in isolation rather than the big picture.
When he was quoting the stats like it was a good thing my brain was melting. And in 'Dimma's Dissection' he pointed out a number of occasions where the bounce of the ball didn't go our way which cost us. Yes, it's true but * me...that wasn't the reason we lost the game. If the ball bounced our way, we may have stolen a win but the better team won.

I know I'm having a 'Dear Dimma' moment, but I want to see us play the exciting brand of football that won us 9 in a row. Not the s**t that got us to 3 and 10.

When he was quoting the stats like it was a good thing my brain was melting. And in 'Dimma's Dissection' he pointed out a number of occasions where the bounce of the ball didn't go our way which cost us. Yes, it's true but **** me...that wasn't the reason we lost the game. If the ball bounced our way, we may have stolen a win but the better team won.

I know I'm having a 'Dear Dimma' moment, but I want to see us play the exciting brand of football that won us 9 in a row. Not the s**t that got us to 3 and 10.
He didn't say those ball bounces cost us the game, he said player mistakes cost us the game

He absolutely is our most important player.... but we can't just fold when he isn't there. That'd be like the Gold Coast boys....
i hope we don't! not against brissy at least. We should be sitting 3-1 and having a real go against the cats to make it 4-1 after 5 rounds. I'd be happy with that..:)

Just to back Cotchin up here. Not directed just at you brother, but even now on the radio people are throwing the knife in at our captain, suggesting he is soft and enjoys the easy 1-2 possession. I would say to all that think Cotchin is a medium quality mid, who is a chip scab to re look at his games. Even the shocker he played on the weekend. Nearly in every possession where he hand balled and received, his second possession was a kick down the line. He was trying to IMO get us moving forward by doing it but gets crucified due to having a below excellent standard of game.

Cotchin, has been one of our most consistent high performers at the club and how quickly people have turned on him, is pretty sad. yeah he had a shocker but i can 100% say, there would be 17 other clubs who would love to take him off our hands. This bloke has showed loyalty and bleeds for our club, offers a high consistent level of performance as well...he deserves a whole lot better then what he receives.

Just to back Cotchin up here. Not directed just at you brother, but even now on the radio people are throwing the knife in at our captain, suggesting he is soft and enjoys the easy 1-2 possession. I would say to all that think Cotchin is a medium quality mid, who is a chip scab to re look at his games. Even the shocker he played on the weekend. Nearly in every possession where he hand balled and received, his second possession was a kick down the line. He was trying to IMO get us moving forward by doing it but gets crucified due to having a below excellent standard of game.

Cotchin, has been one of our most consistent high performers at the club and how quickly people have turned on him, is pretty sad. yeah he had a shocker but i can 100% say, there would be 17 other clubs who would love to take him off our hands. This bloke has showed loyalty and bleeds for our club, offers a high consistent level of performance as well...he deserves a whole lot better then what he receives.

Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

We hear Dimma speak over and over about KPIs, and it frustrates me when he suggests all the KPIs pointed to a win (or many of them did) but ultimately "the result didn't go our way". So, what does that mean? Other than a way to calm down the jurnos and supporters? To me it means the KPIs are not an accurate model of success and need changing.

I'm all for ball security, so I'm in no way outlawing sideways kicks or even kicks backwards to try to hold on to possession, or break up a press/zone, BUT lets not use these as a retrospective measure of success, or point to these easy kicks as an indication of our skill level. How about counting the number/percentage of successful kicks to advantage where a realistic, or even a slightly risky option was on down field? How about we tally the number of times guys took a cowardly option of the sideways kick to a meh option when a much better attacking option was on downfield?

I'm starting to be a bit facetious in the last comment, but my real point is let's overhaul the KPIs to be better micro-measures of success. Stop using them as PR tools

spot on, maybe we need to stick fat?

we just dont have the skills, tell us that, we cannot dispose of the footy and get it to where it needs to go, coaching staff need to tak responsibility

So which spud is going to kick a bag against us this week?
McGun late in, kicks 5+ and wins goal of the year with some fluky s**t from the boundry 50+ out

Proceeds to not have a single meaningful for the rest of the season and gets delisted at years end.

Probably ends up on the Gold Coast rookie list after that

McGun late in, kicks 5+ and wins goal of the year with some fluky s**t from the boundry 50+ out

Proceeds to not have a single meaningful for the rest of the season and gets delisted at years end.

Probably ends up on the Gold Coast rookie list after that
He'll kick 2 of those 1m out that just miss the post

He'll kick 2 of those 1m out that just miss the post

Thanks for reminding me about the game vs Freo when he hit the post twice from 0.5 metres out

In 2012 when he showed his class, every poster here would have praised him and matched him with the best in business. There is no doubt he has talent, but if not used to its potential, its a waste! In my view, he needs to improve his game a lot and make each touch count. No doubt any club will take him in a heartbeat but he'll have to perform better. He is the leader, our best player and must lead from the front.

People who are questioning him are the same who praise him when he shows class.....his game has dropped big time and we all want him to do good for himself and for our club. Something is not right, and i think it's the burden of captaincy that is effecting his game. Plus he needs help in the middle for sure.

Not a single richmond player is rated by the experts as elite, you could argue that they are all biased but there is some truth to it. Who is our fyfe, dangerfield, buddy, hodge..? We all were hoping Lids & cotch would be those types but so far it hasn't happened..!

in saying all the above, lets hope cotch picks up his game and wins us a final this year.. Go tiges.

In 2012 when he showed his class, every poster here would have praised him and matched him with the best in business. There is no doubt he has talent, but if not used to its potential, its a waste! In my view, he needs to improve his game a lot and make each touch count. No doubt any club will take him in a heartbeat but he'll have to perform better. He is the leader, our best player and must lead from the front.

People who are questioning him are the same who praise him when he shows class.....his game has dropped big time and we all want him to do good for himself and for our club. Something is not right, and i think it's the burden of captaincy that is effecting his game. Plus he needs help in the middle for sure.

Not a single richmond player is rated by the experts as elite, you could argue that they are all biased but there is some truth to it. Who is our fyfe, dangerfield, buddy, hodge..? We all were hoping Lids & cotch would be those types but so far it hasn't happened..!

in saying all the above, lets hope cotch picks up his game and wins us a final this year.. Go tiges.

See that is where you and i disagree brother, but thats OK.

his 2013 was also exceptional and was a huge reason why we won 15 games. His 2014 season mirrored the teams but he also produced some excellent games. All the players you compared him too have the benefit of mature quality players around them. Cotchin has been producing High quality games while surrounded by a midfield who is being built around him.

IMO you sell him short.

I also think 1 of the reasons why he does the 1-2, short disposal is he is finding it hard to get away from the tagger being stuck on him, which he thinks he has to dispose of the ball really quick. he needs help by others for blocks/shepherds and himself to learn separation from opponents.

Just on the idea that none rate our players on elite, by any measure Rance is elite, while Lids, Martin and Cotchin are very much close to this.

Happy with the inclusions.

So when Deledio is fit who does he replace?
I would be happy to leave Knights as that high half forward.

Has Deledio still got it in him to play that halfback role? Deledio and Houli would be damaging running through the centre of the G.
Cant tag both halfbacks.

I also think 1 of the reasons why he does the 1-2, short disposal is he is finding it hard to get away from the tagger being stuck on him, which he thinks he has to dispose of the ball really quick. he needs help by others for blocks/shepherds and himself to learn separation from opponents.
This is where we miss Conca

Happy with the inclusions.

So when Deledio is fit who does he replace?
I would be happy to leave Knights as that high half forward.

Has Deledio still got it in him to play that halfback role? Deledio and Houli would be damaging running through the centre of the G.
Cant tag both halfbacks.
Has to be Lloyd or Gordon
We can't keep playing Gordon as sub so they'll either start him or send him back to the 2's for a spell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back