Autopsy Round 3: Brisbane V Richmond @ GABBA - Saturday 7:20pm, 18/04/15

Select your top 5 players for the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the game.

Pleased with the win but Brisbane applied little to no pressure all night. Would expect Cotchin and Martin to have the figures/games they did when their allowed to roam around unimpeded by any opponent.

Hard to know where to place the performances of any of the players until they can do it against sides that apply some pressure...especially guys like Houli (looked great tonight)

Poor Knights :-(

Rtpa558.gif

It's funny, on this one, I kind of felt Ivan got tunnelled a bit. But the umps were too busy raping us at that stage to notice.

But Langford, Anderson, Hartung, Litherley and O'Brien will easily replace Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Hale and Lewis. Haven't you seen how much they've shown in the games where they are the 10th mid getting no attention?
I follow a lot of different sports and it's always the same s**t. When the end comes for champions it's generally quick and brutal, only the all time greats generally go out on their own terms.

I keep hearing this laundry list of awesome kids the cate have, who have showed "signs". Duncan, Christiansen, Motlop, Blicavs, Brown, Smedts, Caddy, Simpson, Guthrie who will replace Johnson, Bartel, Mackie, Mooney, Kelly, Corey, Enright, Chapman, Ottens, Scarlett, Milburn."Don't you worry", I've been assured, "Geelong are just fine for youth! Unlike the Tuggers".

He looked very sheepish when I ran into him the other day.
I think we have the same mate.
He too raves on about how this kids will step up. I just laugh.
I think the even the Cats fans dont know how good they had it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I am simply stating the blindingly obvious that Hardwick is not a very good tactical match day coach. And that second to that,the players at the Richmond Football Club too often turn to water when the heat is on. The second being a legacy long before Hardwick came to the club but one he has not fixed despite that being a big promise at the beginning of his tenure.

So you have failed to address the question.... do you believe that DH and the other coaches teach and instruct players to block for Cotch and co?

If the answer to that is yes, then the players are the ones at fault. If the answer is no then we have issues.... however, the players should be capable of both knowing the concept and executing it. None of that has anything to do with matchday coaching.... Simply another DH basher without using a logical scenario to make your point. I've asked a simple question, have a crack at answering it ;)

I actually want to see Vlastuin move into the midfield as we've been teased with it over the last 12 months. As good as McIntosh has been on the wing IMO he'll be much more capable getting through a season spending time across HB where he doesn't have to cover as much ground but he can still use his run and carry to compliment Houli on the other flank. In fact with Rance at CHB, we'd have 3 genuine rebounding options and can then use Astbury Chaplin and Morris in the defensive roles.

I agree his hardness would be useful in the middle. What's his tank like? Is the reason he is down back part of the Morris move forward? That move appears to be destined to be used sparingly so perhaps this could facilitate a move to the midfield (at least part time) like you suggest....

I think we have the same mate.
He too raves on about how this kids will step up. I just laugh.
I think the even the Cats fans dont know how good they had it.
Hehe. short people on the shoulders of giants. We had a few of those in the Crusaders in super rugby, leading try scorer in the comp two years running, pretty much caught the ball 5 metres out and fell over the line. The locals made enough noise on call back and through their myopic local journos that MR Caleb Ralph got a call up to the All Blacks. I think every Saffer rejoiced the day his name was read out.

Melbourne have played GCS, GWS & Crows... they've been competitive in all games... there is a fair argument to put them as favourites... given that Richmond haven't played particularly well against the lowly Dees in recent times I would suggest that Melbourne are a red hot shot for snatching this one...
Cheap moonshine for you today i see ;)

So you have failed to address the question.... do you believe that DH and the other coaches teach and instruct players to block for Cotch and co?

If the answer to that is yes, then the players are the ones at fault. If the answer is no then we have issues.... however, the players should be capable of both knowing the concept and executing it. None of that has anything to do with matchday coaching.... Simply another DH basher without using a logical scenario to make your point. I've asked a simple question, have a crack at answering it ;)
Regardless if they teach it or not the players are not very good at it. So in response to you trying to be a smart arse and thinking you know something when clearly you don't. DH is either s**t through design or clear non understanding.

You tell me are the players garbage at it because he can't teach it, or doesn't teach it?

So there is the logic, the continued failure of players in the same areas is the coaches fault. Regardless how you look at it.

Last edited:
Regardless if they teach it or not the players are not very good at it. So in response to you trying to be a smart arse and thinking you know something when clearly you don't. DH is either s**t through design or clear non understanding.

You tell me are the players garbage at it because he can't teach it, or doesn't teach it?

So there is the logic, the continued failure of players in the same areas is the coaches fault. Regardless how you look at it.

Listen you internet hero.... you can tell me all about your average weekend, I don't care. Go back and read your post, it made no sense in regards to why you thought DH was a s**t match day coach and I called you on it. The end. Some posters on here can make articulated arguments about why DH can or can't coach and the same about players. You come and sprout off some homo-erotic crap. This type of behaviour reeks of an individual lacking in the capacity to express himself properly. But good for you, you can go and tell your mates you won the internet today. You are truly a hero in my eyes. :cool:

In answer to your question in regards to the players, I don't have the faintest idea. I would put it down to application and effort. I have seen every single player block, bump, tackle, spoil and defend properly at times, so I don't think they don't know how to do it. Therefore they have been taught properly, before they became league players but maybe they have been taught better technique at AFL level. Therefore it's the effort. Now perhaps that is where DH comes into it. Maybe he isn't hard enough on players that don't do it and they continue to get games even if they don't do the imperatives every time. However, that's not match-day coaching, that's weekly coaching.

I have absolutely no doubt that DH and everyone in the footy dept has a far better understanding of each and every player on our list, their strengths and weaknesses and about their personalities than anyone on here. I'm happy enough to leave it to the professionals to get it right. When I think that I can do a better job, I'll apply for a job there and get it done myself....

Once again.... you said match day coaching. All of those things are not a match day thing to be taught, they are taught during pre-season, during training, during any player's junior career, TAC cup, VFL games, junior champs.... match reviews etc etc. If player's need to be reminded by the coach on match day that they need to block for Cotch and co, then we have pretty dumb players.

Listen you internet hero.... you can tell me all about your average weekend, I don't care. Go back and read your post, it made no sense in regards to why you thought DH was a s**t match day coach and I called you on it. The end. Some posters on here can make articulated arguments about why DH can or can't coach and the same about players. You come and sprout off some homo-erotic crap. This type of behaviour reeks of an individual lacking in the capacity to express himself properly. But good for you, you can go and tell your mates you won the internet today. You are truly a hero in my eyes. :cool:

In answer to your question in regards to the players, I don't have the faintest idea. I would put it down to application and effort. I have seen every single player block, bump, tackle, spoil and defend properly at times, so I don't think they don't know how to do it. Therefore they have been taught properly, before they became league players but maybe they have been taught better technique at AFL level. Therefore it's the effort. Now perhaps that is where DH comes into it. Maybe he isn't hard enough on players that don't do it and they continue to get games even if they don't do the imperatives every time. However, that's not match-day coaching, that's weekly coaching.

I have absolutely no doubt that DH and everyone in the footy dept has a far better understanding of each and every player on our list, their strengths and weaknesses and about their personalities than anyone on here. I'm happy enough to leave it to the professionals to get it right. When I think that I can do a better job, I'll apply for a job there and get it done myself....

Listen Internet Hero mark 2, you asked a question asking if I was talking about blocking for players during a contested situation. Then made the assumption that I should address your point about teaching blocking during contested situations. Never once did you ask why I thought Hardwick was a s**t match day coach.

In the future if you are going to soap box and attempt some sort of knowledge. At least understand what you are conversing about.

Once again.... you said match day coaching. All of those things are not a match day thing to be taught, they are taught during pre-season, during training, during any player's junior career, TAC cup, VFL games, junior champs.... match reviews etc etc. If player's need to be reminded by the coach on match day that they need to block for Cotch and co, then we have pretty dumb players.
And again you never mentioned match day. You said blocking for players. Maybe ask, "who do you think Hardwick is a s**t match day coach".

Irrespective of what I said, it is not the point or scenario you put up nor the one that responded too.

Listen Internet Hero mark 2, you asked a question asking if I was talking about blocking for players during a contested situation. Then made the assumption that I should address your point about teaching blocking during contested situations. Never once did you ask why I thought Hardwick was a s**t match day coach.

In the future if you are going to soap box and attempt some sort of knowledge. At least understand what you are conversing about.

This is your post - I've highlighted your comment re match day coaching for your convenience and understanding:)
No I am simply stating the blindingly obvious that Hardwick is not a very good tactical match day coach. And that second to that,the players at the Richmond Football Club too often turn to water when the heat is on. The second being a legacy long before Hardwick came to the club but one he has not fixed despite that being a big promise at the beginning of his tenure.

This is my post below

So I have included your comment about match day coaching and my answer about your example having nothing to do with matchday coaching. My post was in response to your reply to another poster who suggested that Melbourne would be a team that scragged and bumped players like Cotch and that we would have to block for him. Your reply is below:

You would expect so. Past performances and Hardwick "coached" games of similar scenarios suggest different.

This looks like you are saying that based on Hardwick's "coached" games our players wouldn't know how to block for him..... and that made him a bad match day coach..... I know what you were saying even if you don't remember or understand it.

Back