Autopsy Round 4 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

My comments were couched from within an inside 50 differential alone.....We murdered them both & yet conspired to lose in spite of it.....That all comes down to game-plans & the coaches box!

The only way to explain HOW a team can lose with such a huge advantage is in being out-coached through defensive set-ups to counter our dominance!

Poor kicking for goal didn't help, there's nothing a coach can do about that on match day.

Yeah medial knee injury, but severity unknown
Won't be surprised if it's only 4-6. He wanted to play on, and it wasnt as bad as Bartels.

Watching the game and the first half was the softest I've seen the team play ever. The usual hardness was missing as the players just let the Port players stroll right past them. Once again though, there usual names are the first to go missing. Instead of working hard to stop the opposition run, they remain hanging off the packs flaking for cheap possessions. Hill and too-cute Sucking the biggest flakes, but Bruest was the worst tonight. Even Burgoyne's first half was soft.

Props to Puopolo who fought as hard as he could when the rest of his team seemed to be dogging it.

Hinkley matched up Polec with Hill. Was a masterstroke by Hinkley using an offensive running weapon on a player with no defensive side. Polec destroyed Hill and was one of the main reasons Port were able to get lots of transition run and spread through Polec. When he was subbed off is when Hawthorn made the big inroads on the deficit.

H2F hit the nail on the head with the midfield. It's only when Rioli, Burgoyne or Roughead are in there that we look dangerous. Langford is plodding atm, Bruest isn't interested and the others aren't having an impact. Problem is, when any of the three above are in the middle, the forward or backline looks limp. This is a worry.

Is Bruest still feeling the effects of the minor injury in preseason or is he just dogging the contest?
When will Suckling realise he's not good enough to be cute? His this year have put his teammates under immense pressure.

We almost seem to manufacture these poor starts. Setting ourselves up to be in a position where we are challenged to come from behind. Setting ourselves a handicap to test the team response, or individuals under pressure - more so than just going for it from the 1st bounce? Deliberate from Clarko? (Or is it something between his ears that he doesn't get us to click before we cross the line? Have always felt he has paid Port too much respect with his history there, and his 'they're a proud club' schtick! o_O) The way we seemingly can be so collectively off, but later in the game so miraculously switch back on again .... then flick the brilliance switch and step it up a further notch come September? Yeah, I'm just not buying it.

Would I be utterly delusional to imagine that we let Port think they have had their revenge? They have rolled us twice recently H&A, and of course they were robbed in the prelim as well. Any Hawk out there today knows better. We gifted them an 8 goal start & let them play all their 'kick em out our arse' cards in one hit. And yet we still nearly reeled them in, with Lake and the resulting structural issues, and many of our own players showing poor individual form. I think they should really be worried more than us with their superior fitness, and the very obvious fadeout.

These guys are shaping to be genuine contenders over the next few years, looking to fill the void that the Cats slide will provide. I don't have a problem with them becoming our new arch rival, and future finals sparring partner. I have no doubt that Clarko is going to have us deep inside the Ports players heads like he did with the Cats. Remember the handbaggers thought they had their GF won after they beat us in the H&A in 2008. Thought they had our measure, till it mattered in September. I gladly predict that history will be repeated!

I see a lot to be positive about. Pressure valve turned off. Media attention turned down. Of course we're not exactly preparing to slip into stealth mode, but there are new contenders that are going to bask in the limelight for the next few months.

We didn't get 4 points is all. Move along. Nothing to see here.:thumbsu:

Watching the game and the first half was the softest I've seen the team play ever. The usual hardness was missing as the players just let the Port players stroll right past them. Once again though, there usual names are the first to go missing. Instead of working hard to stop the opposition run, they remain hanging off the packs flaking for cheap possessions. Hill and too-cute Sucking the biggest flakes, but Bruest was the worst tonight. Even Burgoyne's first half was soft.

Props to Puopolo who fought as hard as he could when the rest of his team seemed to be dogging it.

Hinkley matched up Polec with Hill. Was a masterstroke by Hinkley using an offensive running weapon on a player with no defensive side. Polec destroyed Hill and was one of the main reasons Port were able to get lots of transition run and spread through Polec. When he was subbed off is when Hawthorn made the big inroads on the deficit.

H2F hit the nail on the head with the midfield. It's only when Rioli, Burgoyne or Roughead are in there that we look dangerous. Langford is plodding atm, Bruest isn't interested and the others aren't having an impact. Problem is, when any of the three above are in the middle, the forward or backline looks limp. This is a worry.

Is Bruest still feeling the effects of the minor injury in preseason or is he just dogging the contest?
When will Suckling realise he's not good enough to be cute? His this year have put his teammates under immense pressure.
Thanks for the insight about Polec and Hill mate.

Awesome post and a real worry about a decent contingent of the team who don't want physical contact at the moment.

Sorry to say it boys after a great 2 nd half to last year but the "Russell factor "is back unfortunately, good thing is the season is still young
Clown.

Poor kicking for goal didn't help, there's nothing a coach can do about that on match day.

True....Though with a 79-42 differential, poor goal-kicking only goes so far to explaining how we can still lose.....That's 37 times extra we had the ball in our forward-line!!!

We dominate general play, but teams are now fully concentrated on our inside 50 ball delivery. They have clearly worked out our patterns & modus operandi.
going in there.

Opposition now also put a premium on winning the stoppages & clearances in the hope of quick scoring against us to counter our all-round ground dominance & ball-use.

We must focus on Stoppage work, Clearances & forward entries, as these are now our weaknesses, & the areas in which opposition tend to exploit in beating us.

Sorry to say it boys after a great 2 nd half to last year but the "Russell factor "is back unfortunately, good thing is the season is still young
734 post count - I'd be wagering all 734 are having a dig at the clubs medical department / docs.

Thanks for the insight about Polec and Hill mate.

Awesome post and a real worry about a decent contingent of the team who don't want physical contact at the moment.
Bruest is the biggest worry at the moment. Is giving up on the ball unless he's a chance for a goal. Not tackling, not blocking, not shepherding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's between Liquorland and Shoey for the KPD spot. Lithers has been played a lot at full back for Box Hill, and Shoey the swing man. Their games for Box Hill tomorrow are massive for either of their careers at the Hawks imo.

Can we afford to play both - I wouldn't mind bringing schoey in to offer support in the forward line as gunston and ruff cannot continue to play defence, mid and kick goals as well. Litherland can then come in to help shore up the defence with the bonus of ruff being able to swing back if needed

I also wouldn't mind seeing how Duryea goes in the middle as he has quite a bit of mongrel about him and isn't afraid to put his head over the ball

Roughhead needed help in the forward line tonight. It won't get easier against supposedly defenders like Thompson and Firrito. While Schoenmakers would be ideal for the role, we'll be forced to use him in the back line.

I have a really weird feeling that if Sam Grimley kicks 4+ goals in Box Hill we may consider elevating him and consequently playing him to help out Roughead. After all, he's actually 198cm and 98kg while being athletic. His problem is laziness, which could be rectified by two strong performances. Unlikely, but my gut has become really attached to the idea.

Another point, there's a fair difference between good Ceglar and bad Ceglar. At least we're due for good Ceglar next week.
I don't think there is a bad Ceglar. There is however a horrible one.

Lewis and Langford the two out of tonight that really frustrated me , Lewis has become a turnover machine and Langford has seriously hit a wall has the hardest hands, double touches everything I really don't think he is going to become the player we all hoped he would be , banking on bruest and Roughy to get there s**t together because there quality players

Comiserations guys. I was almost throwing up over the fence during that last quarter. You guys played unreal in the 4th it was amazing to watch in a way.

Here's to the hopeful birth of a great rivalry in the future. Look forward to seeing you guys later in the year and hopefully in the big dance.

Congratulations Port. Jumped us early, capitalized on their chances and then held us off as we stormed home. They earned it.

On us, we have some key things we need to address.

1. Our starts. If we're not going to hurt teams early we at the very least need to prevent teams from hurting us. We can't go on playing catch up.

2. Fix up goal kicking accuracy. Have voiced this concern since our round 1 win. We barely had a game last year where we had as many or more behinds than goals. Cost us in the 2012 GF and it could cost us again.

3. Stop bombing it into 50. We don't have any players (except maybe our rucks) who can reliably take a contested mark from a high ball. I'd rather players take pot shots from outside 50 because at least when the ball is turned over we'll probably at least get a behind out of it.
Just thought of one more...

4. We are slow on the inside. Obvious against Essendon and Port. Our inside mids are all one paced - and that pace is slow. We look good when Rioli and Burgoyne get involved because they have a good burst of speed. Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis just don't move quickly enough to catch the opposition in a tackle if they win the pill first. We miss Shiels because of this more than we appreciate.

Roughhead needed help in the forward line tonight. It won't get easier against supposedly defenders like Thompson and Firrito. While Schoenmakers would be ideal for the role, we'll be forced to use him in the back line.

I have a really weird feeling that if Sam Grimley kicks 4+ goals in Box Hill we may consider elevating him and consequently playing him to help out Roughead. After all, he's actually 198cm and 98kg while being athletic. His problem is laziness, which could be rectified by two strong performances. Unlikely, but my gut has become really attached to the idea.

Yep, that's just what we NEED....Grimley at CHF & Shoey at CHB!o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back