Autopsy Round 5 2014 - Brisbane v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Post-game review starts... now.

Brown's turning back the clock this year. It's amazing what a difference teams playing only one defender on him makes.

Our defence leaks like a colander.

Every game we have a 5-minute period where we cop five goals and undo a quarter of good work.

Hoping that Merrett comes back and provides some leadership. Patfull was woeful, Golby & Adcock disappointing.

Put a line through Lisle, he isn't up to this standard. I don't want to see him for the rest of the year. Maguire should have taken his place tonight.

Browny, Rocky, Cutler, Robbo :thumbsu:

We ran out of legs and I wasn't a big fan of Moloney being the sub, he has the tank to run out the 4 quarters.

Kids can hold their heads high and the experience of playing alongside Browny in his 250th will be in the memory bank forever.

We will improve and get better, just not going to happen straight away.

Go Lions.

Good:

Brown was fantastic tonight. Vintage.

Rocky is just amazing in the face of adversity. Worked non-stop all night.

Thought Zorko was good but faded late.

West deserves a lot of kudos for what was basically a solo effort, played his role very well.

Cutler and Taylor were brilliant for their experience level, added dash and creativity that we desperately need.

Robbo was fantastic for 3 quarters.

I thought Clarke, while not great, was improved from his past couple of weeks. Gardiner wasn't embarrassed too, just needs to keep a cool head.

Bad:

Playing blokes who obviously weren't fit in McGuane and Moloney.

Adcock really needs to do more as both an on-field captain and a player.

Patfull was bloody awful again, bizarre feeling as I'm used to him being Mr Reliable.

The insane amount of burned disposals and kicks out on the full. Not covering in defense at all, leading to easy goals. Incredibly frustrating.

Golby needs a kick up the bum.

Lisle did a few good things but it's hard not to notice how many critical errors he makes. I really don't like him down back.

RED TIME

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Bewick really that much more of an upgrade that Polkinghorne?

Personally, I rate Polkinghorne a bit more. The one advantage I would give Bewick is his ability to mark at its high point, but even then, I always rated Polkinghorne's contested marking ability.

The second half resembled a game of footy.

The thing that is most gnawing at me is the total change in ball movement tonight. I don't know what the change in direction was during the week, but the way we played tonight was in my opinion indistinguishable from the way we looked under Voss.

So...is it that we all misread the gameplan? Or is it that the gameplan was changed?

This might just be bringing my own preconceptions into it, but my guess is that Leppa has decided to take a step back from pushing the hold and switch style on his team, and is taking a more incremental approach.

Either way I thought what we saw tonight was healthier. And a lot of very raw kids got to play in a reasonably high intensity game, and that's much better than the dross we turned out in the previous two weeks.

Long, long, long way to go, but at least there were signs that we can get something out of this season.

I hate losing, bet on Brisbane and was sad to see us overrun.

But my God am I proud of our young guys.

Aish
Mayes
Taylor
Cutler
ROBBO (does he have nickname?)
Gardiner
Clarke (our rock. Poor guy.)

They are going to be amazing as a unit in their early-mid 20s

Possession, handball, run it looked good at times but fell down with basic skill errors and was hampered by a paucity of targets inside 50.

McGuane very rusty, some interesting umpiring and Mayes missing two he would kick most days lost us momentum. But given their kicking kept us in it, it was what it was.

Thought it was Adcock's best game so far. Clarke is coming on West is our new Ben Hudson, really liking his work.

Lester and Robertson were immense, Taylor and,Cutler impressed. Brown held back father time for one more week.

Actually i'm surprised we lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back