Autopsy Round 5 - Sydney d Fremantle by 16 points - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet we still had Crozier, Sheridan and Simpson available for this game, who are all capable of hitting the scoreboard, but Lyon didn't pick them. Just picked the same old plodders.

The same old plodders who have got us to 3 and 2 in probably the hardest start to a season draw wise we have ever had
Being beaten by the premiership fancies at their home ground is not the end of the world

We are still in 5th place so no need to panic. It is a long season and although some tough games ahead if we are good enough then we will win. Anyway, keep supporting the team all the way.

And once again I'm questioning my tips...thanks for that!

Not to sure about Hawthorn, but we definitely got Sydney at the wrong time. Doesn't excuse a pretty awful performance, but they're a better team than has been suggested over the past 4 weeks.

Bit like Essendon last year. Of all the times we had to play them, it was at the start of the year, right as they were coming under fire from the ASADA investigation.

Did you end up changing that tip?

Me just won big.

Negatives:
I used lots of frequent flier points to get the family there & we spents lots of moolah there o_O
I don't like shitney as a city, but the Mrs now prefers it to Melbourne :(

Positives:
we are home now.
Freo played like crap, but we stayed in the contest
It is early in the year & we will be OK

Positives
-fyfe fought well.
- Danyle Pearce got a fair bit of the ball in the 1st half.
-Old guard in Pav, Sandi and MJ fought well too.
-Ballas goal

Negatives
-2nd quater no goals
- Missing walters run in the forward 50.

Not sure if this has been touched on, but on the negative side: What the * was Pav doing in the centre bounces. I thought that tactic went with Mark Harvey. We had a bone fide star full forward starting at the centre bounces, Pav was playing decoy for Matt Taberner who unfortunately couldn't get near it.

Taberner's strength is long searching leads, he's still a fair way off becoming a contested marking target. If we wanted to place someone at full forward I'd have preferred they throw Apeness in. That kid has some size about him.

On the positives, we just played Sydney in Sydney, without a host of best 22 players missing and a number playing hindered. We came away with a loss under 20 points and people are fuming about our effort. We'll be there abouts, unfortunately we don't look a top 2 side at the moment. We still seem to be slightly inferior to the top teams away from home. Most were hoping we'd finish top 2 and find ourselves in a grand final again. I hope we do, but we'll have to take a tougher path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will just block you.

I am not one to use twitter but from these pages you have been able to get a real insight into this jerk. Wouldn't mind a campaign to call out all his flog comments. Does not deserve to be a journalist, has no idea of being objective and uses the same mindless quotes when challenged (chip on shoulder, little brother and go Hawthorn). This child like behaviour is remarkable.

I work indirectly with media staff and this guy is just setting a new low.

I do buy it.

I think kids like Horlin-Smith, Burbury, Smedts and Caddy are superior to the kids we have recruited and are making a far more significant contribution to their side than ours at the same stage of their careers.
Very controversial opinion to express there. Apparently Bond and Lloyd are the best list managers and recruiters in the league. An opinion you've expressed previously.

I'd like to ask you to quit with the doublespeak.

Very controversial opinion to express there. Apparently Bond and Lloyd are the best list managers and recruiters in the league. An opinion you've expressed previously.

I'd like to ask you to quit with the doublespeak.

Thanks Mr. Orwell.

I'd like to see where I have ever said that they are the BEST in the league. Good luck finding that one ;).

I think that this is more to do with our reliance in the past on developing players in different WAFL teams and the general strength of that competition and its coaching staff.

I was hopeful that the Peel alignment would sort that out, but Cam Shepherd appears totally clueless. Geelong players in particular have been well coached by Matty Knights, (yeah he was shafted by Hird, but he is a pretty good development coach imo), and get the chance to develop as a unit, not helter skelter all over the competition.

That is a huge advantage imo.

Thanks Mr. Orwell.

I'd like to see where I have ever said that they are the BEST in the league. Good luck finding that one ;).

I think that this is more to do with our reliance in the past on developing players in different WAFL teams and the general strength of that competition and its coaching staff.

I was hopeful that the Peel alignment would sort that out, but Cam Shepherd appears totally clueless. Geelong players in particular have been well coached by Matty Knights, (yeah he was shafted by Hird, but he is a pretty good development coach imo), and get the chance to develop as a unit, not helter skelter all over the competition.

Would have to query over a range of usernames, so unlikely I will find it. Regardless, if Geelong and Hawthorn's young players are better than Freo's it is marginal. You just threw that in there to defend your argument that Lyons's game plan is perfectly sound, you don't truly believe it. If I started a thread that Lloyd and Bond were inferior recruiters, you'd be the first to disagree.

Longmuire* had Cunningham tag Hill. Last week Clarkson had Langford tag Ablett. Maybe that was out of sentiment for their fathers previous match ups, but it's certainly not something Lyon would try. Nor should he, given Crowley's in the side, but given the best coach in the league is willing to throw a young player like Langford the role of tagging Ablett, surely Lyon could relent on his pure defensive role that De Boer plays and give it to someone who, when it is his turn to do so, create scoring options himself.

*so coulda understands who I am talking about.

Finally got to a replay after having watched the game with lots of interruptions and distractions. Cant' say my impression has changed too much from the first viewing.

Negatives:

- No 1. frigging massive negative was lack of scoreboard pressure created in the first quarter when we had a lot more control than any stats or numbers would show. You put a Sydney team who were coming in under pressure before the first bounce behind by a 3-4 goal margin at the 1st break and you've got a different ball game - yeah, maybe we don't win anyway, who knows, and 4th quarter heroics aside, if we were a chance that was in that 1st 1/4 there I reckon.

- Balla/Mayne lack of ability to create goals. I don't like picking on individuals, but with Walters gone, we've got to have these guys step up score 2-4 goals and create a couple of others off pressure and creativity a game or we're simply not going to score enough against better teams.

Positives:

- Pav is the no. 1 positive for me. He's really hitting form and we just need some other departments to tweak up a notch and we'll be ripping it up like we did 2nd half of the season last year.

- Strongish finish to the game means our confidence hopefully wont take too much of a beating.

Thanks Mr. Orwell.

Peels results are a little bit concerning. You need to win a few to build something and the environment is just not right at the moment. Yep it is only the first year but with the talent running around I would like to see better results and especially not a team that runs out of legs each game.

Langford is the main tagger at Hawthorn clogged
I know but he's not that much older than Crozier etc and his role is much harder than that of a defensive forward.

I'm just not sure why it is a necessity that the defensive forward must be a 100 game player who is unable to kick goals or provide a forward option. Even in Lyon's model surely there is capacity for a more creative player in that role?

PapaJ notes that in spite of the first quarter dominance only 2.2 was scored. But what do people expect when only two forwards have scored significantly for the year and one of them explicitly has a role that doesn't do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back