Opinion Round 8 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

So you assume he doesn't get the vest this week.

So who does? Suban, Sheridan, Walters?

I think the match comittee want to give Sheridan a few full games to see what he can do. Walters is too important to be sub. Suban is the logical choice. Unless they want to continue their plan of using the green vest to give players a rest, in which case it could be Spurr.

I think it's Suban's turn for the vest this week. At least he is an effective sub.

I will throw Suttcliffe in as a possibility - worst performed of our backline this year for mine (thought he was great last year though).

I think the match comittee want to give Sheridan a few full games to see what he can do. Walters is too important to be sub. Suban is the logical choice. Unless they want to continue their plan of using the green vest to give players a rest, in which case it could be Spurr.

I am tipping C.Suttcliffe for sub this week.

Mzungu still has me baffled.

Considering his consecutive BOGs at Peel that would have secured one of the younger blokes a run in the firsts I have only two theories.

1) Ross is holding him back for the second half of the season. Experienced midfield cover for any of our mids who go down or just having an experienced finals player who has proven he can perform under heat hungry to drive to the team in the second half of the year when the boys get a bit tired.

2) 'Came back from off-season a bit out of shape' is code for he was being a naughty boy in the off season and he needs to re-earn the trust of the coaching staff and his teammates.

Neither are informed just guesses.

Neither really makes sense since he got a game in round 4 (albeit as the sub). If he had done something wrong they wouldn't have given him any game.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Lachie Neale has overtaken Barlow as our 3rd best inside mid, and therefore Barlow is now playing Mzungu's role and that the coaching staff rate Barlow more highly in that role. (which is fair enough, but it shows the disadvantages of pigeonholing players into "roles").

This also explains why Mzungu has been playing a slightly different role for Peel this season (paying more inside).

Considering his consecutive BOGs at Peel that would have secured one of the younger blokes a run in the firsts I have only two theories.

1) Ross is holding him back for the second half of the season. Experienced midfield cover for any of our mids who go down or just having an experienced finals player who has proven he can perform under heat hungry to drive to the team in the second half of the year when the boys get a bit tired.

2) 'Came back from off-season a bit out of shape' is code for he was being a naughty boy in the off season and he needs to re-earn the trust of the coaching staff and his teammates.

He won the 3km time trial.He didn't come back unfit.

Point 1 makes a bit of sense though. It's the best time of year to give Sheridan (and Suban) a run to see what they can do. And if they're not up to it, we know what Tendai is capable of. It's a better option than giving Sheridan a run in at the business end of the season.

Alternatively, Tendai may have been told to work on particular things in the WAFL because he may have been pegged for a different role? Maybe the reason he's been playing inside mid at Peel is to broaden his skillset.

He won the 3km time trial.He didn't come back unfit.

I wasn't referring to fitness per se. It's speculation though and not fair on the player so I'll drop it. With his Peel form I'm sure an AFL run won't be too far off anyway.

Got a feeling he might come into the side for Mundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither really makes sense since he got a game in round 4 (albeit as the sub). If he had done something wrong they wouldn't have given him any game.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Lachie Neale has overtaken Barlow as our 3rd best inside mid, and therefore Barlow is now playing Mzungu's role and that the coaching staff rate Barlow more highly in that role. (which is fair enough, but it shows the disadvantages of pigeonholing players into "roles").

This also explains why Mzungu has been playing a slightly different role for Peel this season (paying more inside).

Every part of this is bang on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back