Preview Round 8. Freo Vs North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends whether Norf or North rock up this weekend.

They're in an ideal situation to be playing us at home as we've come back from a grueling encounter with the Bulldogs and a 6-day break to boot.

Still North are nothing on what they were last year and we're twice as good as we were against them last year.

Watched the game Friday... Nothing impressive or fear inspiring there.

Brown most likely out. Black comes in but isn't as tall. Dal Santo out. And possibly wells.

Would like to see us crush them but more than likely it will be a 118 - 86 win. Or something like that with North scoring a couple of junk time goals to bring it back from 50 plus points.
Black won't play, devoid of confidence, Daw in for brown if he doesn't get up.

Not quite as worried about this one as I was for the Dogs game (as it turned out I was right to suggest the the Dogs running would test us).
This one concerns me for different reasons though, the 6 day break. We are seeing that what is variously being explained as managing players over the season or just plain running out of legs. However you explain it our last quarters and second halves in general have been poor.

If it was up to me I'd be resting Suban who never seems to play 4 quarters and bringing in Mzungu as well as sticking with Duffield over Sheridan in the back half as our settled back 6 seems to get it done. Don't have much hope this will happen though and I think we will see another nail biter as we run out of legs in the 4th.

Not quite as worried about this one as I was for the Dogs game (as it turned out I was right to suggest the the Dogs running would test us).
This one concerns me for different reasons though, the 6 day break. We are seeing that what is variously being explained as managing players over the season or just plain running out of legs. However you explain it our last quarters and second halves in general have been poor.

If it was up to me I'd be resting Suban who never seems to play 4 quarters and bringing in Mzungu as well as sticking with Duffield over Sheridan in the back half as our settled back 6 seems to get it done. Don't have much hope this will happen though and I think we will see another nail biter as we run out of legs in the 4th.

I do like the idea of bringing in fresh legs for matches with 6 day breaks.

As mentioned above, depends which North rock up. Their good and bad is so far apart.

Thinking with Dal Santo, Wells and Grima out plus Hansen, Swallow and Brown with injury concerns Freo should have their measure.

The scare from the Bulldogs last weekend is exactly what Freo needed, bit of a reality check that you still need to be on your game 100% of the time. I expect them to come out firing and the back line to really lock down properly.

Will be interesting to see how Thomas goes with the increased scrutiny on his questionable tactics.

Black should have come to Freo. Would be playing along side Pav right now.
Lol, maybe, he was homesick, but injuries, surgery with the shoulders have dented his confidence severly.

Lol, maybe, he was homesick, but injuries, surgery with the shoulders have dented his confidence severly.

I would still be looking at him at the end of the year. I am and always was confident Tabs will make it. But we need to have a backup plan fro Apeness not coming good to replace Pav up forward - I think Apeness is only a 50/50 chance. If you think who we would bring into the side to replace Pav ATM but retain the 3 tall structure, the cupboard is fairly bare. Alex Pearce would probably be the first pick even if Apeness wasn't injured but Pearce has a future down back. Apeness/Hannath wolud be next in line.

Brown is a very good player for the Roos - reminds me a little of Keplar in looking all arms and legs but he has made a big difference to them. Majak unless he has done a mountain of running will struggle to run out more than a half at Subi. Brown was walking around after the game though so cannot be that serious.

I would still be looking at him at the end of the year. I am and always was confident Tabs will make it. But we need to have a backup plan fro Apeness not coming good to replace Pav up forward - I think Apeness is only a 50/50 chance. If you think who we would bring into the side to replace Pav ATM but retain the 3 tall structure, the cupboard is fairly bare. Alex Pearce would probably be the first pick even if Apeness wasn't injured but Pearce has a future down back. Apeness/Hannath wolud be next in line.

Brown is a very good player for the Roos - reminds me a little of Keplar in looking all arms and legs but he has made a big difference to them. Majak unless he has done a mountain of running will struggle to run out more than a half at Subi. Brown was walking around after the game though so cannot be that serious.
Black would be a good third pressure tall when up and firing. Majaks fitness is pretty good, it's his footy nous that is lacking, does the freakish, stuffs the simple stuff, better ruck than brown though. Brown is a bit awkward looking, but marks at the highest point and is deceptively quick. Will be a very good second forward in time, a lot of work still left to do.

If Majak comes in for the Roos and plays at FF, then I think Elvis needs to enter the building immediately.

The idea of Alex Pearce being caught in a man-on-man contest with Daw is serious nightmare material. It would be like watching a ping-pong ball try to hip-and-shoulder a road-train.

If Majak comes in for the Roos and plays at FF, then I think Elvis needs to enter the building immediately.

The idea of Alex Pearce being caught in a man-on-man contest with Daw is serious nightmare material. It would be like watching a ping-pong ball try to hip-and-shoulder a road-train.
Daw will take mark of the year and then drop a simple chest mark, he's a poor mans, better forward and marking version of nic nat.

Daw will take mark of the year and then drop a simple chest mark, he's a poor mans, better forward and marking version of nic nat.

Agreed - Daw is a bit hit and miss right now. I'm more worried about potential damage to Alex's developing frame; Daw would have to be the strongest forward I have ever seen and Alex was a bit kamikaze in some of his spoiling attempts last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed - Daw is a bit hit and miss right now. I'm more worried about potential damage to Alex's developing frame; Daw would have to be the strongest forward I have ever seen and Alex was a bit kamikaze in some of his spoiling attempts last week.
A good learning experience for the lad, need to take away daws jump and leap, which he still mistimes.

I am getting no Gu love from any of RTB's interview's, surprisingly more interested in Crozier.

Gu was so valuable last year, it is doing my head in even though we are winning.

I agree on Tendai for sure... I think he has a place in the side and seems to be playing well for Peel! Definitely think he needs to start though! His ability to run and run is completely wasted if he's only playing a few quarters at most! Think he should get a gig this week as North have a bunch of guys ready to pull a Tory Dickson performance if we don't cover them properly... and they're all significantly better than Tory Dickson!

Luke is a certain starter IMO... Only skipped last week due to lack of dry chips!!

Swallow and Brown to miss on top of their pre-existing outs means things get pretty tough for North ... They are both integral parts of their respective groups...

Personally think that North will cause you some problems. The thing with North is that you never know what kind of team is going to show up. They will either increase the collective blood pressure of the occupants of Subiaco, or will allow the fans there to sit back, take it easy and enjoy the thrashing. I think they will turn up and lose, but I wouldn't put it past them for an upset.
Nah. Only upset for this year will be to you guys. We've got North covered

The fact is every game starts becoming a game to fear when you're 7-0 and you let past demons enter your mind.

I'm far from saying we're invincible but North have some outs in Wells, Greenwood (from last year), Dal Santo and I'm sure a couple of others. We are reasonably healthy and as close to best 22 as any club could be 7 weeks in.

I think the Dogs game was a lesson in counter attacking and this was the only way I saw North beating us. In a very similar fashion to last year. Basically absorb absorb absorb and then break and get out the back and score. I cant imagine Ross will allow this again.

We had no small forwards last year and started the season in average form.

Pound for pound we should win this in a canter. I'm talking 5 goals plus. North have been pummeled by Hawks and Adelaide. Fell across the line against Essendon in a very uninspiring game. They've had some impressive wins but closer reflection shows those opposing teams teams aren't travelling well.

The only way we lose this is if we don't show up in a Port v Brisbane way. Perhaps the extra break for North facilitates this.

I actually think we may put away a team for real on Saturday night.

Mark it down and bookmark it.

Our highest score so far this season will occur on Saturday. We will score more than 118.

We will also win by a healthy margin. 40+

Ballantyne and Walters to hit the score board. 5 goals+

No need to comment until after Saturday night. Then feel free to receive my opinion on future games.
Fair assessment I'm afraid - we're not batting deep in the midfield - and have too many underdone or out of form. Still, it's a long season and round 7 form doesn't break or make a season.

Will be interesting to see how Thomas goes with the increased scrutiny on his questionable tactics.

Well as the rules stand the way he gets them are all free kicks (whether what he does is "in the spirit of the game" is another argument). He doesn't actually "duck", he makes himself difficult to tackle legally by bending low to the ground and sort of leading with his neck, and as the rules stand there's nothing illegal about that, nor are umpires supposed to say "play on you bent your knees". The rules haven't changed mid-week so the umpires have to pay them if they're there. Surely they don't let the media affect their decisions?

Well as the rules stand the way he gets them are all free kicks (whether what he does is "in the spirit of the game" is another argument). He doesn't actually "duck", he makes himself difficult to tackle legally by bending low to the ground and sort of leading with his neck, and as the rules stand there's nothing illegal about that, nor are umpires supposed to say "play on you bent your knees". The rules haven't changed mid-week so the umpires have to pay them if they're there. Surely they don't let the media affect their decisions?

Do you think it's a good thing he does it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back