Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

I also remember this but not the specific game. Do you recall it? I think it was late in the season and I am unsure of the timing, but in retrospect, I wonder whether it had anything to do with knowledge of his A sample positive test result.

Edit: Crowley was first advised of the issue on August 11.
No I can't. But I think it is out of North, Carlton or Geelong which were all before Aug 11. The games after that were Hawthorn, who were more interested in milking free kicks i.e. Hodge. Brissie- nah why would you bother and Port - if you had robbie gray and Wingard in your side why would you care who is being tagged.

De Boer is an elite runner, tested well pre draft in terms of endurance and speed, it's one of his biggest assets. I actually believe he could be a better tagger than Crowley, he has the tools, he has the right mindset, he's played as a defensive forward which is similar if not exactly the same. Has better hands in congestion that Crowley and does not rush the ball onto his boot as first instinct. Is a worse kick from a set shot, has less depth on his kicks, is shorter and less physically built, and may not have the 100% focus that Crowley always has. But I think he'd make a fine tagger.

Nice summary... spot on.

Good to see, clogged. I remember a prior discussion going quite differently.

Possible weaknesses also... mightn't have as many tricks as Crowls, or as many tagging smarts yet as that's been Crowls' main job for a while now. Might also need a spell at the end of games if his tank isn't quite up to scratch yet. But he's the best fit for the role, and will get better with time.

I remember folks advocating keeping Matty Carr on as a tagger run/with instead of Crowls, as he had the runs on the board and Crowls wouldn't be able to do the job as well as Carr did. Reckon MDB won't take long to settle into the role, and within a year we'll reckon he's better at the job than Crowls was in 2014.

Last edited:
His treatment by the umpires in the Carlton game was horrific.
The Leigh Fisher game.

The decision that peeved me most was when that ***** Steven Johnson threw him into Joel Duckwood through the interchange and Duckwood got a free. AFL never admitted it was incorrect and made things up as to why the free was paid. Poor Crowley had sit there and take it. Which he did with class.

Matt Deboer Heir apparent. One thing I know is that MdB is hard as nails and a bloke who is focused as the best of them. Give him a task and he will be up to it. in terms of "hurt factor" the guy made Beau Waters look soft. He will hit and hit hard, give him 12 months and Stevie J and Gazza will be crying all over again.

Yes, there was a team gang-up against Crowley to protect Murphy.That's probably the game.
Marc Murphy received a ridiculous number of free kicks against Crowley that game...something like 6 or 7? He was an even bigger wuss than Boomer and Stevie J that night. I've seen him as an overrated pussbag ever since.

I'm really bummed for Crowley. What a silly thing to have threaten your career. Seems like such a genuinely nice fellow too.

I'm also not confident in de Boer. His disposal is suspect and he can sometimes look like a deer in the headlights. If he becomes the tagger then maybe that will give him more focus but there's still a big question mark over him for mine.

By the end of last season I had formed the opinion that Crowley's time was up. He had become very fumbly, his field kicking very average and his pace, never swift, positively pedestrian. I thought then that a better option was required for us to advance beyond our previous level. Not sure that DeBoer is that better option.

You are missing the point Taylor was trying to make and what could easily be the problem: Codeine (contained in Panadene forte, Nurofen plus and others) is not highlighted as being a problem as above and below:

https://checksubstances.asada.gov.a...resultid=B71124AB-93FF-4B97-B365-311683B3F434

But it metabolises to morphine in-vivo (conversion of a methoxy group to a hydroxyl group within the body - codeine is also called 3-methylmorphine), and morphine is a no no. The rate of metabolism varies for different people and 8-10% for western European ancestry apparently are slow metabolisers and could easily have morphine in their system the day after codeine.

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/34/5/133/5

If it was me and I was Crowley's lawyer and it was codeine involved I would have been getting his cytochrome P450 2D6 levels checked first thing in September last year to see if he is one of those slow metabolisers.

Not saying no fault lies if this is the case but seems pretty reasonable argument and you could understand if you were in pain the night before a game and need the sleep - would be amazed if there are not a bunch of blokes popping Nurofen plus or Panadene forte in the WAFL, VFL etc. as well the day before a game and based on codeine being in this grey area.

Last edited:
If it was me and I was Crowley's lawyer and it was codeine involved I would have been getting his cytochrome P450 2D6 levels checked first thing in September last year to see if he is one of those slow metabolisers.

Good advice Doc.

I rang my doc this morning and told him I wanted my cytochrome P450 2D6 levels checked as I'm sure he hasn't checked them in years.

He told me to stop extracting the urine and take a long walk off a short pier.

Not sure how that'll help but I'm off to Fisherman's Wharf now.

Good advice Doc.

I rang my doc this morning and told him I wanted my cytochrome P450 2D6 levels checked as I'm sure he hasn't checked them in years.

He told me to stop extracting the urine and take a long walk off a short pier.

Not sure how that'll help but I'm off to Fisherman's Wharf now.

Take the rod, I hear the herring are on the bite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice summary... spot on.

Good to see, clogged. I remember a prior discussion going quite differently.
I think you remember incorrectly.

I have De Boer for Crowley's role long term, because while his kicking is suspect he's very creative with his hands in close.

My main problem with De Boer has always been the role he plays.

This may be a bit harsh but I think you guys won't miss a beat without crowley. Your team is bigger than one man.

Tend to agree although if we replace him with De Boer it'll definitely be a step backwards. We'd be better off playing an extra mid and back the quality of our midfielders to win the ball and/or beat an opponent.

My preference is to not have a tagger at all, but that's not going to happen.

My issue with de Boer has been the shins keeping him from running enough over the summer to be a full time midfielder.

Has has all the tools to play the same role as Priddis, but faster and bigger.

De Boer developed into having one of the biggest tanks in the club over summer .Seemed to not have any problems with his shins.He has had a massive pre season.

I think you remember incorrectly.

My main problem with De Boer has always been the role he plays.

Indeed I did. Apologies. It was others in the thread I was trying to convince of his suitability as a tagger.

Our debate was more whether we could afford to keep him on as depth. I'm glad we did.

The issue I have always had with De Boer is the depth and penetration with his kick. His effort near the siren last week did not alleviate those concerns. But- I love that he has had a solid pre-season, and we know he doesn't take a backwards step. I am still hoping my man crowls is able to play this season as I think he still has a few boxes of tissues ready to send out to a few opposition mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back