Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone harbouring any hopes that Crowley can in any way avoid suspension over this matter, please dump those hopes ...

-------------------------------------------- < here.

Let me draw your attention to Clauses 11 and 11.1 of the AFL Anti Doping Code:

An Anti Doping Rule Violation occurs even if the Player does not know the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method is prohibited under this Code. The onus is on the Player to check all substances and methods.

The presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers in a Player's Sample.

(a)

It is each Player's personal duty to ensure that no Prohibited Substance enters his body. Players are responsible for any Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers found to be present in their Sample. Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent, fault, negligence or knowing Use on the Player 's part be demonstrated in order to establish an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Clause 11.1.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Schedule 6 - National Anti-Doping Code.pdf

This is different. Not related to PEDs.

The category of specified substance was created for inadvertent use which I would assume would cover a substance that has remained in his system, although the medication wasn't taken on game day. I believe such a category explicitly bans game day taking of the substance but not any other time.
That seems like a mitigator to me.

That may have an affect on his sanction but I doubt it would impact any conviction. It may go a long way to establish there was no intent to gain a competitive advantage and possibly result in a reprimand rather than a suspension. Who knows which way they will jump on this.

Do you know that?

He could have had a mole removed for all you know.
I was referring to Fred's post.

I am a fan of the rule that the individual is responsible for the substances ingested. The afl provides abundant education, and the club provides health professionals to consult.

That's it, thanks.

I guess this is why he's got his own lawyers working on a good argument, so they can ask for a reduced penalty.
I actually think he has to have his own lawyers. It's a player matter, not a club matter, so even if the club was able to pay the legal costs, they'd have to be included in our player payments

Actually, yeah it's in the AFL's anti-doping code. I'm assuming Essendon's getting away with it because it's so many players and originated from the club.
A Person may appear in Person or by a Players’ Advocate, an Officer of a Club appointed according to the AFL Player Rules or a Legal Practitioner. The AFL may be represented by a Reporting Officer or Legal Practitioner. The costs and expenses of any such advocate (including a Legal Practitioner) will be borne by the Person on whose behalf they appear. The costs and expenses of any Official of a Club or Officer in attending a hearing of the Tribunal will be borne by the relevant Club even if such attendance was at the request or direction of the AFL.

Last edited:
Doesn't offer much we don't already know but I agree it is a big loss to the team.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...on-and-fremantle/story-fniv64vs-1227266885353

Matt de Boer is an extremely disciplined team member who has played a negating role at half forward on creative opposition defenders, so he’s had some practice. Whether he has the endurance to provide a hard midfield tag for an entire game is debatable.

??? wasn't he second behind Gu in the time trial? Notice they didn't mention C Pearce either even though Hardie suggested he may have been tagging Bird on the weekend. Also, I don't think Crowley tags Hanneberry anymore either because it is a waste of time. Gu has been given the job on him lately iirc.

De Boer is an elite runner, tested well pre draft in terms of endurance and speed, it's one of his biggest assets. I actually believe he could be a better tagger than Crowley, he has the tools, he has the right mindset, he's played as a defensive forward which is similar if not exactly the same. Has better hands in congestion that Crowley and does not rush the ball onto his boot as first instinct. Is a worse kick from a set shot, has less depth on his kicks, is shorter and less physically built, and may not have the 100% focus that Crowley always has. But I think he'd make a fine tagger.

He has always been the heir apparent in most people's minds. Would like to see him playing the role for a while before deciding. Can't help thinking it is his best chance of staying on the list longer term. Would love to know if it is a race between him and Clancee or if they were just giving Clancee a run in the midfield.

I think that your reputation has been hurt more than your on field potential. I'm genuinely curious to see if this turns into Ahmed Saad incident 2.0, or Essendon Saga 2.0. That's my take on it at least. Sorry for the intrusion, hope I wasn't disrespectful on your board.

I think that your reputation has been hurt more than your on field potential. I'm genuinely curious to see if this turns into Ahmed Saad incident 2.0, or Essendon Saga 2.0. That's my take on it at least. Sorry for the intrusion, hope I wasn't disrespectful on your board.
We have other options to replace Crowley either with a tagger or just go head to head with teams in the midfield without a tagger. whether it will work as well as it did with Crowley is yet to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11075290_1015503281812391_9052621310893611302_n.jpg

Deboer's set shots have improved over the past two seasons and he is fairly reliable now, so good on him for that. Crowley has always been good.

Anybody wonder what caused Crowley to be in so much pain that he needed painkillers to get through from game to game.

IMHO the AFL's MRP failed him, they continuously overlooked sniping against him behind play primarily because his role is unpopular.

I would like to know if he can identify any specific incident that caused this injury, I would be incredibly surprised if it wasn't caused by deliberate, unexpected and probably unpunished heavy contact.

I'm sure he'll be remembered as a player that got the best out of his talents, but IMO he achieved this in the face of some of the worst umpiring possible.

Last edited:
:eek:

I'd have Deboer ahead of Crowley if I needed someone to take a set shot if it was within Deboer's distance.

The "if it was within DeBoers distance" bit gives you a lot of lee-way.

I'd pick Crowley any day of the week if we're comparing their ability to score. Crowley was our highest scoring mid a couple of years ago. He knows where the goals are more than most of our midfielders imo.

In fact I'd say Barlow, Fyfe and Hill are our only real goalscoring mids and Crowley is better than the rest.

Anybody wonder what caused Crowley to be in so much pain that he needed painkillers to get through from game to game.

IMHO the AFL's MRP failed him, they continuously overlooked sniping against him behind play primarily because his role is unpopular.

I would like to know if he can identify any specific incident that caused this injury, I would be incredibly surprised if it wasn't caused by deliberate, unexpected and probably unpunished heavy contact.

I'm sure he'll be remembered as a player that got the best out of his talents, but IMO he achieved this in the face of some of the worst umpiring possible.
I remember watching Crowley come off after a game last season and I thought he was going to break into tears.He had been knocked from pillar to post the whole game. I must admit I thought he might retire after last season. It looked like he had had a gut full.

Codeine metabolises into morphine which can show up as such in a test and therefore look like you've failed a test. I consider it unlikely that he just took codeine although it's a slim possibility.

IMO the narcotics section in the WADA code is an anti-recreational drug ruling, not a performance enhancing drug ruling. It's to catch sportsmen using heroin and its analogues, not to catch actual cheats.
https://checksubstances.asada.gov.a...resultid=723547A7-58AB-4FA8-AA5F-814265922B13

This may be a bit harsh but I think you guys won't miss a beat without crowley. Your team is bigger than one man.

I remember watching Crowley come off after a game last season and I thought he was going to break into tears.He had been knocked from pillar to post the whole game. I must admit I thought he might retire after last season. It looked like he had had a gut full.
I was seething that the MRP could not find anything illegal in that game. Different rules for different players.

I also remember this but not the specific game. Do you recall it? I think it was late in the season and I am unsure of the timing, but in retrospect, I wonder whether it had anything to do with knowledge of his A sample positive test result.

Edit: Crowley was first advised of the issue on August 11.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back