SANFL/WAFL clubs joining AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Norwood would be the only club but it will never happen, It would be fun if Norwood did enter though just to see how many fans would jump off the composite allsorts.

Currently there are 18 teams. A perfect fixture would have the teams playing each other once with a bye round. Therefore the maximum number of teams without conferences is 22. AFL would have plans, albeit a long way off, for a Tasmanian team and a Northern Territory team. Other possible teams could be for the ACT and NZ. So it is very unlikely but the difference between having a team for the ACT and NZ compared to a third team for SA and WA is the already present Aussie Rules interest.

No. No WAFL club is big enough and most of the supporters of each club (except for a some of the old timers) already go for an AFL side. Plus, Perth doesn't need or want a new team.
from a financial aspect, if a new team was to come in to the AFL WA would be the best place possible.
but the AFL has enough worries on their hands at the moment with GWS & the lions

Norwood need to make the Grand Final this year and the next 10.

Not the best game from a Port Adelaide perspective but boy oh boy wowee...I'm hoping for this at Adelaide Oval come september.

I'll take the result happily. The only downside to that game was Macca being suspended. :(

A independant East Perth and West Perth team would go alright, thre was some talk of it years ago, appears to have fizzled out, if East and South Freo can come together ( sort of) to form the Dockers then West and East perth can do it.

FWIU Southport Football club has a fair say in what happens at the GC suns, i think there may be a fair bit of $$$ from them to the Suns.

If we are looking a fair way down the track both Cairns AFL and Canberra AFL ( 3 or 4 clubs) have plenty of money or the ability to use plenty of their money to partly fund a AFL team.

I have no question at all that West Perth could do it.
It could never be judged about what membership they have now it is about what they could achieve in membership.
It would make sense to have Fremantle (South of river) - West Coast (central Perth) - and West Perth/Joondalup (North of river)

The question would be how many traditional West Perth supporters support the Eagles and Dockers and would they then go back to their original club? I know I would but how many would? Would they be members of two clubs?

West Perth would never be expected to be as big as the Eagles or Dockers, 20k+ membership would suffice and would fit nicely into our footy landscape if and when a third WA team is asked or thought of by the AFL.

What we don't need in WA is another franchise as that would seriously struggle to gather support. It would have to be a traditional club and of course being somewhat bias no one fits the bill better than West Perth in WA.

It could never be judged about what membership they have now it is about what they could achieve in membership.
It would make sense to have Fremantle (South of river) - West Coast (central Perth) - and West Perth/Joondalup (North of river)

The question would be how many traditional West Perth supporters support the Eagles and Dockers and would they then go back to their original club? I know I would but how many would? Would they be members of two clubs?

West Perth would never be expected to be as big as the Eagles or Dockers, 20k+ membership would suffice and would fit nicely into our footy landscape if and when a third WA team is asked or thought of by the AFL.

What we don't need in WA is another franchise as that would seriously struggle to gather support. It would have to be a traditional club and of course being somewhat bias no one fits the bill better than West Perth in WA.

Would they gain support by marketing their WAFL credentials? ie Follow the real history of WA footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would they gain support by marketing their WAFL credentials? ie Follow the real history of WA footy?

One would think that would be the way to do it as their credentials are pretty solid with any club country wide.
Mate if they can invent football clubs and turn them into a success then it should not be as hard doing it with a traditional supporter base.
Like I said before how many Eagles and Dockers members are originally West Perth supporters? Is it 1000, 5000? 10000? I have no idea what it would be or would they then support the club that were once their footy club?
Just imagine the promotion on tv ads telling the state about a 130 year old club joining the AFL and telling them the history. Of course if it was not done correctly you would end up a problem and also you can bet the Eagles and Dockers would not be a fan of a real football club from Perth being in the AFL.
Anyway a bit hypothetical one would think but it is the only way for a third side from our state in my view.

And with some of the old VFL teams in Melbourne.

Currently, those 'old vic clubs' are in a much better condition than GC & GWS (and probably Brisbane).

Sure, in 20,30,50 years time that will probably reverse, but if we're looking that far ahead, Tas will never get a team.

Even if successful going down the WA path, they wouldnt get a financially viable number of members, but they would attract walk ups, how many?
Sponsorship would probably be no problem.

Even if successful going down the WA path, they wouldnt get a financially viable number of members, but they would attract walk ups, how many?
Sponsorship would probably be no problem.

Which means they'd start off more viable than pretty much any other option.

Currently, those 'old vic clubs' are in a much better condition than GC & GWS (and probably Brisbane).

Sure, in 20,30,50 years time that will probably reverse, but if we're looking that far ahead, Tas will never get a team.

Some clubs would have gone down tears ago if asked to stand on their own 2 feet.

Norwood would be the only club but it will never happen, It would be fun if Norwood did enter though just to see how many fans would jump off the composite allsorts.

I wouldn't like to see Norwood join.
I was a Redlegs fan 10 years before Carlton
Not all Norwood people go for Crows

Probably so but its not growing the game nationally, given that it would help meet demand in that market.

Servicing pre existing demand is a valid reason for a club, and financially it's a a much better move than putting a club in a lot of the places that are suggested. We can't have every club created as a financial burden that will hopefully come good in a generation or two.

Get them to change their name to Joondalup first, then perhaps talk about promotion to the AFL.

Servicing pre existing demand is a valid reason for a club, and financially it's a a much better move than putting a club in a lot of the places that are suggested. We can't have every club created as a financial burden that will hopefully come good in a generation or two.

You put a fine point on clubs that have been around for 100+ years & expect/need a subsidy because, they may be icons of a state based competition but can not be relevant in the national comp 25 years on ... when?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back