SC 2016 - My Team (Pre-NAB Challenge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
excerpt regarding callum ah chee, from a write up by one of our ex-mods who attended the suns intraclub game on the weekend.

The story of the day IMHO was no doubt Cal Ah Chee, or ‘Arch’ as the guys have started to call him. This is the first time I’ve seen him live, and he’s bigger (as in height) than I thought. He’s also put on some size and is much bigger around the shoulders and arms than when he was drafted. Extremely smart footballer, and often read the flight of the ball better than his more seasoned teammates. But the thing that stood out to me (and probably everyone else) was his contested mark. I knew he could take the spectacular, but his ability to take genuine contested marks with players crashing into him from the side was very impressive. Dare I say, even Fyfe like. Fantastic user too. He was one of our players who set up our forwards into clean space with good entries. From what I saw, Ah Chee had 3 players rotated on and off him that I saw. He gave Malceski an absolute bath in the first quarter. Malceski didn’t play badly by any stretch (will talk about him later), and he made Ah Chee earn every possession by crashing right into him. Kolodjashnij was on him for quarters 2 and 3 that I saw, and did a much better job on him. Kade has the vertical leap and height to nullify a lot of Ah Chee’s attributes. Willis played on Ah Chee for bits of the third too. Mal was moved back onto him on the fourth and he once again started to excel. Summarising, he’s the only draftee that I saw today who looks like he can play round 1 with a fit squad. He is an absolute livewire and dare I say it, a chance for the RS. If our mids can get dominance in games, expect this kid to shine. All worries about taking him so 'early' in the draft should be forgotten. It's hard to see how he could have impressed any more.

if you follow the link to the quote theres a fair bit more detail about other guys, but i found this pretty good info. one to watch for the nab cup.

some thoughts on my initial team before the nab cup

DEF - Houli, Wellingham, Malceski, Seedsman, Weitering, M.Brown (Hibbered, Broad)

MIDS- - Danger, Ablett, Treloar, Rock, Libba, B.Crouch, Mills, Trengove (Praish, Hopper, Mathieson)

RUCKS - Mummy, Lobbe (Grimley)

FWDS - Martin, Wingard, Barlow, Schache, Kerridge, Petracca (Curnow, Paine)

$386k left in the bank

Also, I'm not sure if to keep Crouch or get Polec
Backs: Wellingham is an interesting pick, haven't seen any teams with him though I'm not convinced he will improve enough to be a premium defender. Weitering is a terrible pick imo, 220k rookie KPD is a massive no for me. I'd downgrade him to a cheaper cash cow and then use the leftover money + some of your 386k to turn Seedsman into a proven premium or an upper mid-range guy like KK.

Mids: Danger, Ablett, Rocky, Libba are good choices, Treloar I don't think is a good pick given he is coming off an injury and you can get Pendles for $50k more. You've got too many expensive rookies in their for me, if you downgrade 2 of Mills/Parish/Hopper to cheaper rookies you could turn Crouch into Wines.

Rucks: Mummy is a risky selection with no ruck cover. With so much cash in the bank still I think you'd be better off going in with a 2 premo ruck line, mid-price ruck selections rarely turn out well. Grimley won't play unless Essendon get injuries.

Forward: Just like Weitering, Schache is a terrible pick imo. $216k for a rookie KPF is too much. I'd downgrade him to cheaper rookie and then maybe turn Wingard/Barlow into Lids.

Another go at it. Martin in the ruck this time. Was thinking NicNat could go huge this year however Martin the safer pick IMO which could change! Haven't gone the safe pick with Bont but he's a SuperCoach beast and I love his ceiling.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Another go at it. Martin in the ruck this time. Was thinking NicNat could go huge this year however Martin the safer pick IMO which could change! Haven't gone the safe pick with Bont but he's a SuperCoach beast and I love his ceiling.

View attachment 215698 View attachment 215699
Nice team mate.

Love the Bont pick.

If it was my team I would downgrade both Crouch & Simpkin & upgrade Lobbe & Rich to proper premiums

First crack at season 2016. My mid premiums are certainly a lot younger than I've gone in the past but few little question marks around Danger (love him but new team), Fyfe (all fit? needs to be not to drop). Would like Priddis but cannot fit bringing him in hurts other areas too much. Dont really care too much about the rookies at this stage, they'll sort themselves out over the next month with NAB & rd1 team selections.

B: Shaw, McVeigh, Laird, Bartel, Yeo, Byrne (Hartley, Broad) - rather strong on paper, McVeigh probably my biggest concern given $$ & age.

M: Gaz, Gaff, Shiel, Rockliff, Libba, Gresham, Petracca, Freeman (Polkinghorne, Cunningham, O'Kearney) - Gaff & Shiel certainly trending upwards and get plenty of the ball, can only see them going to new highs if they stay fit.

R: Goldy, Grundy (Grimley) - again I think Grundy is trending in the right direction. I presume he's stayed fit in the preseason?

F: Dusty, Dahl, Barlow, Wells, Kerridge, M.Brown (Adams, Tippa!) - Wells I'm happy to give some breathing space to my kitty if he looks no good in the NAB.

$300 left in the kitty, with a bit to play more to play with Wells in the forward line as I'm not 100% on him just yet. Also happy to drop Yeo back to B.Smith if he shows anything in the NAB. What you guys think? Balanced? Too risky in the mids?
Upgrade Grundy to Martin/Sauce/NicNat/Gawn. It will save you a trade and have your money working for you.

Wells is risky but if he stays fit for more than 6 weeks will make you money for a quick upgrade to a performing FWD.

It's a team you can go into round 1 with. Sort out the rookies and spend some of that cash over NAB and it can only get better.

After many attempts this is the team I'm currently set on
Feedback is much appreciated
View attachment 215723
Really nice looking team, almost the same as mine, but I'm not to convinced on yeo. I'm not sure where he'll be playing this year, if he is playing a midfield/forward role he is a great pick especially for that price but could still be used as a defender and would be to inconsistent in that case

G'day guys, been watching for a while and thought I'd join in. Certainly no expert at this, but I love it. Looking forward to joining in the discussion and adding my two cents worth! :thumbsu:
Welcome mate, best thing about this place is the game day threads, come have a beer or two with us.:D

Really nice looking team, almost the same as mine, but I'm not to convinced on yeo. I'm not sure where he'll be playing this year, if he is playing a midfield/forward role he is a great pick especially for that price but could still be used as a defender and would be to inconsistent in that case
I've got him there until Nab and if he isn't playing on ball I'm not gonna stick with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems so hard this year, though I think I say that every year.

Had a bit of a tinker with my team just now, here's what I came up with. Looking for feedback :)

View attachment 215526
Lots of risk, jaench coming back off acl will take time to find his feet again. Rucks extremely risky, personally I like to set and forget the rucks.

G'day guys, been watching for a while and thought I'd join in. Certainly no expert at this, but I love it. Looking forward to joining in the discussion and adding my two cents worth! :thumbsu:
Nice to have you on board fellow Smitty.

Current iteration of the rusty junkers. Obviously rookies are just guesses at this stage.
Wells and Simpkin are NAB watch, Greene could turn into Billings or Franklin.

Back four is locked, the only line i haven't really tinkered with.
rucks is stacked, does look nice, even though its expensive.

Im not sure about the mid set up, but my m1-5 should all be acceptable m8 players by seasons end, and i should have enough cash generation to bring in some cream pretty quickly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
team.jpg

Current iteration of the rusty junkers. Obviously rookies are just guesses at this stage.
Wells and Simpkin are NAB watch, Greene could turn into Billings or Franklin.

Back four is locked, the only line i haven't really tinkered with.
rucks is stacked, does look nice, even though its expensive.

Im not sure about the mid set up, but my m1-5 should all be acceptable m8 players by seasons end, and i should have enough cash generation to bring in some cream pretty quickly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
View attachment 215763
parker off a knee would be a worry for me. also kommer probably wont play

I considered Gaff as a bit of a POD (as well as Sidey). My only problem with Gaff is that he averaged something like 30 touches last year and as you say 90% TOG. I'm not sure if I can see an increase to be honest

I'm all over Gaff this year, super consistent SC player which is what I'm after early in the year. He ranked first in total un contested possessions and second in total effective disposals. He doesn't need to increase haha your picking him because you know he will average 100+

Starting to worry about GAJ now. Got sucked in last year and it burnt me a bit as I had every other mid that went down as well, even Wines.

Since my last draft I have done a fair bit of editing as I wanted an extra high scoring midfielder, a lot of points of difference but a bit worried about the point scoring reliability of the team.
Corey Ellis is most likely to make way if he has a sub-par NAB Cup.
second draft.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back