Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

When can we start debating how many games he'll play for Geelong? I reckon he'll play less than 20 before being delisted.
Hope he plays every game for the next 5 years just so he can stink it up.
Two pretty ordinary posts there.

Has worked hard at the club through some good times but also through some of our worst times. We are moving past him, sure, but we shouldn't be bagging out someone who has bled blue and gold for years. And he's hardly delist material once he gets his ankle right. Will be a very good contributor for Geelong, whose style suits him more IMO.

Two pretty ordinary posts there.

Has worked hard at the club through some good times but also through some of our worst times. We are moving past him, sure, but we shouldn't be bagging out someone who has bled blue and gold for years. And he's hardly delist material once he gets his ankle right. Will be a very good contributor for Geelong, whose style suits him more IMO.

I know, it was such a quality thread going before I jumped in then :(

Not trying to bag him out, just making a prediction. Even if his ankle improves I can't see him moving past Caddy, Guthrie et al next year. And I think Geelong have a bunch of great young players in development that have a better chance of solidifying a best 22 spot that he might otherwise take. He lacks the versatility that most of their mids have, unless they want to develop him in a defensive role that I dunno he's suited for.

Geelong haven't made too many mistakes in trading in players recently, so there's that going against my prediction. Like him and wish him well, but have trouble seeing why the Cats are interested if not purely for depth.

I know, it was such a quality thread going before I jumped in then :(

Not trying to bag him out, just making a prediction. Even if his ankle improves I can't see him moving past Caddy, Guthrie et al next year. And I think Geelong have a bunch of great young players in development that have a better chance of solidifying a best 22 spot that he might otherwise take. He lacks the versatility that most of their mids have, unless they want to develop him in a defensive role that I dunno he's suited for.

Geelong haven't made too many mistakes in trading in players recently, so there's that going against my prediction. Like him and wish him well, but have trouble seeing why the Cats are interested if not purely for depth.

Knowing our luck he will probably magically develop some composure, foot smarts and a kicking boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hallelujah-GIF.gif

Well they don't have any currency for a trade as it looks like ther 1st and 2nd rounders will be used on dangerfield. So it'll all be about compo we would get as I doubt we will match the offer to a long serving club player who just wants to go home. fingers crossed they offer him a big long deal.

In sincerity, Scott's been a great servant to the club, looked extremely promising in his younger years and was a big part of the 2011/12 successes. We did him no favours and mismanaged the hell out of his ankle but he's done now, looked a shadow of his former self for a long time and is simply not AFL standard any more. Hope we get ridiculous overs for him based on surname and reputation rather than actual output.

A fit Selwood is what we were missing in the prelim and GF. Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington bullied us around the ball in the 1st half of the PF and Hawthorn were able to get the ball out of their midfield far too easily in the GF. Our midfield setup needs an aggressive defensive mid to compliment the smaller attacking mids like Shuey, Sheed and Duggan and slow old man Priddis.

If Naitanui dominates he gives the midfield an armchair ride but the minute Naitanui is quelled, Priddis is exposed for what he is and the smaller mids get bullied out of the contest. Every lost this season happened because we were beaten around the ball and leaked from the contest. Adelaide with Jacobs getting it to Dangerfield and Sloane, Freo with Sandilands to Fyfe and Mundy, North with Goldstein to Ziebell and Cunnington. A strong defensive mid stops that from happening.

Redden now becomes a priority but he will cost a 1st round pick. I would rather have a fit Selwood and keep our 1st rounder than Selwood leaving and only getting a late pick in the 30's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back