Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

He's already training with the Geelong VFL side. I think he's gone boys.

VFL+Rd+10+Box+Hill+v+Geelog+EaFS5UedGmRl.jpg

In sincerity, Scott's been a great servant to the club, looked extremely promising in his younger years and was a big part of the 2011/12 successes. We did him no favours and mismanaged the hell out of his ankle but he's done now, looked a shadow of his former self for a long time and is simply not AFL standard any more. Hope we get ridiculous overs for him based on surname and reputation rather than actual output.

pretty sure i read somewhere along the way that he actually hid the extent of the damage/pain from the club medicos in order to keep playing or get back out on the paddock sooner. a brave and well-intentioned act, no doubt, but not helpful to anyone in the long run.

agree with the rest. wish him only the best if he does end up elsewhere.

pretty sure i read somewhere along the way that he actually hid the extent of the damage/pain from the club medicos in order to keep playing or get back out on the paddock sooner. a brave and well-intentioned act, no doubt, but not helpful to anyone in the long run.

agree with the rest. wish him only the best if he does end up elsewhere.
I spoke to him at the GF. He was keen to be out there and downplayed the ankle injury.

I know, it was such a quality thread going before I jumped in then :(

Not trying to bag him out, just making a prediction. Even if his ankle improves I can't see him moving past Caddy, Guthrie et al next year. And I think Geelong have a bunch of great young players in development that have a better chance of solidifying a best 22 spot that he might otherwise take. He lacks the versatility that most of their mids have, unless they want to develop him in a defensive role that I dunno he's suited for.

Geelong haven't made too many mistakes in trading in players recently, so there's that going against my prediction. Like him and wish him well, but have trouble seeing why the Cats are interested if not purely for depth.
He wants to join his brother.
We lack tough inside mids.
We lack taggers.
Caddy not quite up to it yet.
We have made several recent trading blunders retrospectively
--HMc, and still waiting on M Clark, Stanley, Delaney to come good.

We lack taggers.
Can we have Caddy in exchange for Scooter then? :)

HMc was a failure I didn't think of. Jury still out on Clark and Stanley, but I thought the latter was looking in great form before getting injured (much better than I saw him at the Saints). Can't expect much of Delaney as a rookie pickup.

Maybe I rate Geelong's younger mids higher than others, lots of development still there.

yeah i'm talking about the original injury, at least a year back.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't contradicting what you said, was just adding to it. I asked him how it was carrying the injury all year, he said wasn't as bad as some had been saying, just recurred a few times.

We lack taggers.
I think what's also very important is he suits your game plan more than ours. We saw in the GF what turnovers do under our game plan, whereas Geelong's game plan can handle a few more. Any Selwood gives you are more than offset by his tagging or ball winning ability.

Note, that with Selwood you normally only get one or the other. When he plays as a tagger, he doesn't get much ball. He's no Kane Cornes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fit Selwood is what we were missing in the prelim and GF. Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington bullied us around the ball in the 1st half of the PF and Hawthorn were able to get the ball out of their midfield far too easily in the GF. Our midfield setup needs an aggressive defensive mid to compliment the smaller attacking mids like Shuey, Sheed and Duggan and slow old man Priddis.

If Naitanui dominates he gives the midfield an armchair ride but the minute Naitanui is quelled, Priddis is exposed for what he is and the smaller mids get bullied out of the contest. Every lost this season happened because we were beaten around the ball and leaked from the contest. Adelaide with Jacobs getting it to Dangerfield and Sloane, Freo with Sandilands to Fyfe and Mundy, North with Goldstein to Ziebell and Cunnington. A strong defensive mid stops that from happening.
biggest myth is Selwood being a tough inside big bodied mid. Was bullied off the ball far too easy.

His ankle is a big worry, pick 35 Via Compensation is about right. Hopefully gets back to that 2012/2013 form, looked like becoming a gun.

I hope the change of scenery allows him to get back to his absolute very best, but be warned that even at his very best he can't hit the side of a barn by foot from inside.

I hope the change of scenery allows him to get back to his absolute very best, but be warned that even at his very best he can't hit the side of a barn by foot from inside.
Where do you guys train?

Does that include the weekend? or will we not find out until the middle of next week?
great question, but strangely, in no hurry to find out.
If WCE match, he will have a better chance of a flag staying in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back