Prediction Sell me on Port Adelaide 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought there was a Kenny thread here on the MB but can't find it.

I don't mind Kenny, but I reckon if you haven't got a team into a GF after 11 years, then it's time for a change.
Brad was in a similar spot, took us to a couple of prelims, topped up with free agents, but we didn't get there then fell off a cliff.
This will probably happen between Brisbane and Fages as well in the future (100% guaranteed).

Wtf happened in round 1
The lions had guzzled far too much of their own bathwater..

you should’ve heard the media up here blowing wind up the lions arses in the week or two leading up to R1.. constantly referred to them as “premiership favourites”..

you almost expected them to win by 10+ goals against port..

they got their arses handed to them and looked half asleep/shell shocked for large stretches of the game..

We are definitely on the verge but if nothing changes after round 5, then that sudden stop at the end should come quick.
If Kenny goes this year, who would be the new coach? I'm hearing Josh Carr, but
1) I've not heard his name linked to any other coaching jobs in the past so is he any good?, and
2) he's a Port person so do you hire from inside the tent or bring in someone from the outside?

I think we should leave Port Power alone, as it is unfair to pick on the disadvantaged.
They are delusional by thinking they are bigger and better than they are.

I am even coming around with the prison bars.
They play like a SANFL team, so why not look like one.
You are correct, little river rat.

While the SANFL owned our license, we were disadvantaged by the SANFL.
Once the licence was sold to the AFL, we have been disadvantaged by Team Victoria.

They are s**t scared of us performing as we did pre-1997, so the hobbles are kept on.
But as your old coach said, the ox is patient.
Our C-grade coach will be gone soon, the club itself has net assets, our membership is strong, even with the Ken factor.

Don't worry, we will be kicking your ass again soon.
Btw, did your club spontaneously combust when we wore the bars Saturday night?
Did you catch the Sunday Footy Show when Matthew Lloyd said the only person anti our traditional jumper is your ex-president?
I like Lloydy, he speaks the truth.

Thank you for your support of the bars.

I thought there was a Kenny thread here on the MB but can't find it.

I don't mind Kenny, but I reckon if you haven't got a team into a GF after 11 years, then it's time for a change.
Brad was in a similar spot, took us to a couple of prelims, topped up with free agents, but we didn't get there then fell off a cliff.

It's not just Ken who needs to leave Alberton, Koch and several other board members and grand poobahs involved in upper management should also go.

The whole club needs a total off field refresh really.

If Kenny goes this year, who would be the new coach? I'm hearing Josh Carr, but
1) I've not heard his name linked to any other coaching jobs in the past so is he any good?, and
2) he's a Port person so do you hire from inside the tent or bring in someone from the outside?
Josh Carr should get the care taker position this season to prove himself. Otherwise start raiding assistant coaches from other successful teams.

Midfield could really be fantastic if guys like Butters and Wines can stay on long term but the list seems unbalanced with a number of big young guys in the SANFL but a lack of height and speed in the KPD slots. Up forward Dixon nearly at the end, will Georgiades still be there at seasons end?, Fantasia can't get on the park enough and Rioli looks unlikely to be the small forward answer. They have a fair few journeymen types (B graders) in Farrell, Drew, Duursma, Jones. Also have guys close to retiring in Jonas, Clurey, Boak and very little draft collateral this year so maybe a bit at the crossroads...especially with a coach on the nose

If I was betting, I would think they will need to go more the rebuild line than the top up line going forward but it might not need a very long rebuild if they can keep their A graders together

They have a seriously talented bunch of young ones. Butters, Rozee, JHF, Marshall, Burton, Duursma (though he has seemed to decline a bit). I think they are a good shout to make finals but its not the end of the world if they don't, they'll be up there in the next few years as they add talent to the aforementioned group.

As a Blue boy I wouldn't fancy playing them in Adelaide, 50/50 over here. Round one showed they can seriously play if they are switched on, that was against Brissie not some cellar dweller.

Koch is a w***er but he is business savy remains to be seen if he is successful in his position.

Port just have to stay reasonably competitive for the next few rounds, then we will come to the rescue in round 8 with the annual Kenny-saving game, and all will be well with the world once more. don’t thank us, it’s the least we can do. Yes, I’ll show myself out….

Not interested in targeting senior coaches who might be on the way out? Simmo, Bevo, etc.

Never a good idea unless you can get them in their prime. Coaches on the way out are out for a good reason. Fresh blood with fresh motivation from a successful program is the best way to go.

Your situation is a bit different with Clarko as he has some time off to rejuvenate and refresh himself but he knows how to get the job done. If we were to choose from an experience coach, then maybe Nathan Buckley would be the best option providing he is keen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never a good idea unless you can get them in their prime. Coaches on the way out are out for a good reason. Fresh blood with fresh motivation from a successful program is the best way to go.

Your situation is a bit different with Clarko as he has some time off to rejuvenate and refresh himself but he knows how to get the job done. If we were to choose from an experience coach, then maybe Nathan Buckley would be the best option providing he is keen.
Fair enough. Bucks would seem like a good choice, quite romantic with him going "home".

There are some coaches who enjoy success once they change clubs; Mick coached the Pies to more GFs than he did at WC, Blighty with 2 flags at the Crows, etc.

If it was grand final or bust for Hinkley, I don't think he ever stood a chance with the list.

They have some very good young midfielders but they have just about as many holes in the list as any side in the comp.

The key defender is the obvious issue. Why they never addressed this is beyond me.

They don't have an AFL standard ruck. Lycett was serviceable in the day but is past it. I doubt Hayes makes it other than possibly a journeyman back up

The real issue IMO is the depth. There are too many flakey types that can't perform week in week out and there is no pressure from anything decent in the SANFL to take their spots and keep them on their toes.

Might sound harsh but I think it's back to the drawing board for a couple of years to try and build a stronger core around Rozee, Butters, JHF etc

Most of the players that were responsible for the minor premiership a few years back are either gone or seem past their best.

If it was grand final or bust for Hinkley, I don't think he ever stood a chance with the list.

They have some very good young midfielders but they have just about as many holes in the list as any side in the comp.

The key defender is the obvious issue. Why they never addressed this is beyond me.

They don't have an AFL standard ruck. Lycett was serviceable in the day but is past it. I doubt Hayes makes it other than possibly a journeyman back up

The real issue IMO is the depth. There are too many flakey types that can't perform week in week out and there is no pressure from anything decent in the SANFL to take their spots and keep them on their toes.

Might sound harsh but I think it's back to the drawing board for a couple of years to try and build a stronger core around Rozee, Butters, JHF etc

Most of the players that were responsible for the minor premiership a few years back are either gone or seem past their best.

No one in the history of the VFL/AFL has ever coached as long as Hinkley at one club without at least making a grand final.

I honestly don't understand why "but the list is no good" is supposed to be an argument for keeping a coach after 10 years. If it's no good then surely the coach wears some of the responsibility for that, either because they've recruited poorly (tick) or players haven't developed (tick) - both of which are issues that, you guessed it can, can partially be blamed on poor coaching. Why would turning the list over a 3rd time but keeping an absolute turd in the coaches box suddenly fix these issues?

#sackhinkley #SACKKOCH

I honestly don't understand why "but the list is no good" is supposed to be an argument for keeping a coach after 10 years. If it's no good then surely the coach wears some of the responsibility for that, either because they've recruited poorly (tick) or players haven't developed (tick) - both of which are issues that, you guessed it can, can partially be blamed on poor coaching.
Well that's the thing though. The list is good. The results have been good. Couple of prelims? Regular finals? What more do you want?

Need a bit of luck to win a flag I think. Kenny, bit unlucky.

Your club re-signed a coach and sacked him in the same season, not sure a Saints fan has any moral high ground here.
Last I checked this was a Port thread?

No idea what you mean about taking the moral high ground though? ?

Doubt I would have had an issue if Port had sacked him last year and started afresh

I just don't get the sense in keeping him if you are going to set a bar that is unreachable with a list with that many holes

Last edited:
The results have been good. Couple of prelims? Regular finals? What more do you want?
* me if that's the standard you accept for your football club then good luck to you.

I'd like to win more than two finals (both non-elimination because we can't handle pressure) in the last 8 years personally. Call me crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back