Opinion Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
With the Sad loss of Dean Bailey, I think we can all agree that it is critical that we have a genuinely talented Senior Assistant coach in 2015 (and no, David Noble does not fit the bill!)

Over the past few weeks we have seen a few threads pop up suggesting people such as Worsfold, Bomber Thompson and Voss etc... Rather than continue to throw up a new thread for everyone that we remotely think of, I thought it might be better to have one single thread to discuss all the options - so here it is.

I would love to hear the opinions on these options, possible strengths and weaknesses.

To start with I would think a discussion as to what type of person we need would be more important than random names.

Personally, I would think we need someone who has significant experience (we have a young team and inexperienced coach), has demonstrated success in his (or her) coaching, has demonstrated innovation, is a real players coach (develops strong relationships) and can install some passion (a real us V them guy).

Keen to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Personally, I would think we need someone who has significant experience (we have a young team and inexperienced coach), has demonstrated success in his (or her) coaching, has demonstrated innovation, is a real players coach (develops strong relationships) and can install some passion (a real us V them guy).

I agree with the type of senior assistant you think we need for 2015. Some fit the criteria straight up. Some might be happy where they are. Of the type would be Neil Balme (currently Geelong, significant experience, is a real players coach, develops strong relationships). Mark Williams* (currently Richmond, significant experience, is a real players coach, develops strong relationships, has demonstrated success, install some passion a real us V them guy), *not my choice, struggled to cope when he coached Glenelg, Denis Pagan (currently selling real estate, significant experience, develops strong relationships, has demonstrated success, install some passion a real us V them guy). Williams and Pagan has always been ready to innovate. After these 3 I think the field thins out on meeting the criteria, or having a genuine interest in coming to Adelaide.

Unfortunately all three are yesterday's men when it comes to coaching, plus with their personalities not sure Choco or Pagan could play second fiddle (Choco line coach yes as with Richmond but not senior assistant/mentor)

Need someone like Bailey who is happy/not looking to coach eg Worsfold or Bomber. Don't mind Voss, he would have some good insight. But ideally we need someone with premiership coaching experience - it's a short list.

we need strategy... and skills/know how ->>> Bolton, Choco & Dew would be near the top of my list...
Guerra is part time at Hawthorn?
its more about who would come here that creates a win/win..ie a promotion in rank, otherwise the cheque book needs to come out!
get people from recently successful clubs or who have a history of performance in coaching...
priority needs to go to anything Hawks offense and Ross Lyon defensive schooling...

What about Craig McRae?

From the Collingwood website:

He oversaw the development of the club's younger players at VFL level in 2011 and his role was bolstered in 2012 when he was joined by Anthony Rocca, Dale Tapping and Mitch Hahn in the development coaching office.

McRae's dedication and proven ability to develop young footballers was recognised by the AFL Coaches Association when he received their inaugural Development Coach of the Year Award. The gong recognises the outstanding commitment, service and innovation in developing and preparing young players for AFL football.

Coaching Career: Richmond 2007-2009 (development coach), Brisbane Lions 2010 (development coach), Collingwood (Head of Development) 2011-2013.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/coaches/craig-mcrae

Someone who doesn't want to be the public face, who doesn't want to be the players friend, and who can bring a serious strategic analysis.

Dean Laidley? David King? Brett Kirk? Peter Sumich? Stuart Dew? Brendan Bolton? Michael Voss?

Brett Ratten would still be my number one choice.

Last edited:
I agree with the type of senior assistant you think we need for 2015. Some fit the criteria straight up. Some might be happy where they are. Of the type would be Neil Balme (currently Geelong, significant experience, is a real players coach, develops strong relationships). Mark Williams* (currently Richmond, significant experience, is a real players coach, develops strong relationships, has demonstrated success, install some passion a real us V them guy), *not my choice, struggled to cope when he coached Glenelg, Denis Pagan (currently selling real estate, significant experience, develops strong relationships, has demonstrated success, install some passion a real us V them guy). Williams and Pagan has always been ready to innovate. After these 3 I think the field thins out on meeting the criteria, or having a genuine interest in coming to Adelaide.

I think Pagan is well past it. No chance there.

Neil Balme could be a very interesting choice. The players would love him, but I suspect he is a bit out of it in terms of coaching. I would be pretty happy if we snagged him, although I think we are getting to the point where we need ideas outside of Adelaide or Geelong.

Williams is the one that intrigues me most. I suspect he wouldn't come to us as he flat out hates us. However, we have been the nice guys for so long that it kills us. We just don't have any killer instinct, no mongrel, no passion. Williams would change that in a flash. He will ruffle a lot of feathers along the way, but we need that. Too many people in the club that are far too comfortable. Not sure if I'm and Sando could work together. I would be pretty excited if we got him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Pagan is well past it. No chance there.

Neil Balme could be a very interesting choice. The players would love him, but I suspect he is a bit out of it in terms of coaching. I would be pretty happy if we snagged him, although I think we are getting to the point where we need ideas outside of Adelaide or Geelong.

Williams is the one that intrigues me most. I suspect he wouldn't come to us as he flat out hates us. However, we have been the nice guys for so long that it kills us. We just don't have any killer instinct, no mongrel, no passion. Williams would change that in a flash. He will ruffle a lot of feathers along the way, but we need that. Too many people in the club that are far too comfortable. Not sure if I'm and Sando could work together. I would be pretty excited if we got him though.

Balmey should be an option for CEO, not a coach.

John Blakey
Leigh Tudor
Peter Sumich
Brett Ratten

John Blakey is the #1 candidate for me. Dual premiership player, premiership assistant coach at both Brisbane and Sydney, and has performed a variety of roles.

No idea why this guy isn't a senior coach somewhere, might not have such high ambitions but his CV certainly stacks up.

Scott Watters, very successful WAFL coach [Premiership], highly rated Assistant coach at the Pies under Malthouse, never really given the support by the Saints board to do his own thing. Clearly has similar credentials to Bassett, but more experience at AFL level ATM.

John Blakey is the #1 candidate for me. Dual premiership player, premiership assistant coach at both Brisbane and Sydney, and has performed a variety of roles.

No idea why this guy isn't a senior coach somewhere, might not have such high ambitions but his CV certainly stacks up.

Coached Brisbane for a few matches

Scott Watters, very successful WAFL coach [Premiership], highly rated Assistant coach at the Pies under Malthouse, never really given the support by the Saints board to do his own thing. Clearly has similar credentials to Bassett, but more experience at AFL level ATM.

The guy is positively bonkers, would have him as an assistant but senior to absolutely no one at this stage of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back