Opinion Senior Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone who doesn't want to be the public face, who doesn't want to be the players friend, and who can bring a serious strategic analysis.

Dean Laidley? David King? Brett Kirk? Peter Sumich? Stuart Dew? Brendan Bolton? Michael Voss?

Brett Ratten would still be my number one choice.

David King is a very switched on individual and would be a fantastic get, his analysis on FF is gold

David King is a very switched on individual and would be a fantastic get, his analysis on FF is gold
Hang on - are we suggesting King or Kirk or Sumich or Dew etc... for the SENIOR role? Really?

None of them meet the criteria set out in the OP. Laidley maybe, Voss maybe, Bolton maybe. The others aren't even in the discussion.

Can we keep this for the Senior role only? - there are a multitude of other threads for the other assistant coaches.

John Blakey is the #1 candidate for me. Dual premiership player, premiership assistant coach at both Brisbane and Sydney, and has performed a variety of roles.

No idea why this guy isn't a senior coach somewhere, might not have such high ambitions but his CV certainly stacks up.

+1

how about josh francou?

was very successful at north adelaide (albeit he didn't win a flag, but he got close), and i hear he's going good things with sydney. wouldn't be a bad appointment. not so much as a senior assistant, but certainly a good midfield coach

A really interesting choice - I love that it is a bit out of the box.

Remember hearing good things about it him a while back so went searching. Loved him as a player and he's from Adelaide (although has now been in Melbourne since 2006). Very much fits the development/focus on young players type role but his actual coaching experience seems limited. Some assistant coaching and also filled in as senior coach of Coburg when Rawlings took temp position at Richmond.

Ideally you could get someone like him as well as someone with some more senior coaching experience to be the senior assistant. A couple of changes in the coaches box wouldn't be a bad thing.

Do we even know what this role will be, Deans 2012 role or the bigger one the club was hoping he would do. We probably need to replace both, remembering that Mark Bickley is and has been the "senior assistant" I believe since Sanderson took over.

Do we even know what this role will be, Deans 2012 role or the bigger one the club was hoping he would do. We probably need to replace both, remembering that Mark Bickley is and has been the "senior assistant" I believe since Sanderson took over.
Actually that is a really good point. Perhaps we need to replace the Bickley and Bailey roles?
Could it be one person?

Another +1 for Blakey or Ratten here.

Would also love to see if we could convince Warren Tredrea to come over in a forward coaching capacity, get the hound back and involved as a general assistant and have a word with Brett Kirk about a midfield role.

In other words, sayonara most of our current assistants.

Actually that is a really good point. Perhaps we need to replace the Bickley and Bailey roles?
Could it be one person?

If we could upgrade Mark Bickley (weather or not he stays in another role I don't know) it would probably give us a real boost. The new "senior assistant" taking on some of what Bailey was doing in 2012, while we get someone else in for the bigger picture stuff Dean began working on while suspended and was supposed to do this year.

There is no doubt we have a very inexperienced coaches box for a team that is considered a "have" rather than a "have not"

If we could upgrade Mark Bickley (weather or not he stays in another role I don't know) it would probably give us a real boost. The new "senior assistant" taking on some of what Bailey was doing in 2012, while we get someone else in for the bigger picture stuff Dean began working on while suspended and was supposed to do this year.

There is no doubt we have a very inexperienced coaches box for a team that is considered a "have" rather than a "have not"

Are you being serious or just playing funny buggers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's expressed no interest in moving to the AFL, but what about Roy Laird? Maybe a non-match day role might do it for him?

He's expressed no interest in moving to the AFL, but what about Roy Laird? Maybe a non-match day role might do it for him?

I heard he doesn't fly which was his main reason for not coaching AFL. I'd love to see him in a development role. What would be the chances of having him running development and being in the box for home matches?

I heard he doesn't fly which was his main reason for not coaching AFL. I'd love to see him in a development role. What would be the chances of having him running development and being in the box for home matches?
i've also heard from a pretty reliable source that he is completely against the AFL

So sando nominated bomber for the ice bucket challenge. If thats not a sure sign that bomber will be at the crows next year, I dont know what is. ;)

There were some strong rumors earlier in the year that he would be coming to Adelaide. Then Sando iced them when he said that he was 99% sure he wouldn't be at Adelaide next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back