Remove this Banner Ad

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
abc four corners got me thinking about sharks

I love the water, I swim, boogie board and kayak long distances in shark waters of south of wa coastal area (prime white pointer country)

We've seen an increase in attacks

Or is it case of the population has increased as n the people in the water.

My theory is this. We've fished what they eat, we also spend longer in the water as wet suits quality and water based sports have increased massively in the last ten years.

People take up surfing and paddling in their 30's Whereas I believe in th old days (I'm 45) you either surfed or you didn't and you didn't suddenly take it up later in your life.

I'm not a fan of culling at all nor shark nets which catch innocent species also, which in turn upsets the Eco system greatly. Tagging is useful but what does it tell us.

We've much to learn, yes I have seen two big whites while kayaking - yes it scared me - I'm human. But I paddled away slowly, I've seen one tiger shark while snorkelling of Exmouth 20 years ago. Again stayed calm - lowered my heart rate as. Ugh as possible and stayed very still.

A friend of mine (a school teacher in Albany) was attacked two years ago ...he lived but he holds no bitterness towards the beast.

Its an emotive issue now and opinions will vary. I'm certainly not going to change my water based activities but that said I would not go spear fishing (which I've never done by the way) with dead bloody fish trailing behind me. Like one guy here did 1 year ago and got killed. Nor would I surf 200 meters off shore.

I kayak but shark attacks n kayaks are very rare.

I dive and surf, so I think about them a lot. I use a shark shield when diving which gives me a small amount of comfort, but they obviously aren't 100% effective. Usually surf before/after work which means being in the water at dawn/dusk which isn't ideal. Apparently there is a new shark shield coming out designed for surfboards, so will look at getting of those.

Re GWS numbers, it makes sense that they are increasing, given they've been protected since the late 90's. Also, with more whales up and down the coast and NZ fur seals repopulating, their is plenty of food to attract them.

They scare the crap out of me, but in reality the chances of getting eaten are ridiculously low.

I'd watch the 4 corners show ..culling hasn't worked nor have shark nets

I ride my bike a lot ...more chance of being hit by a car

Oddly and this is kinda funny, more people die eating shark than they eat us ......strange but true, choking and food poisoning hazard

Odds are ridiculously low

Sharks live in the sea. Sharks are big, dumb, top-of-the-food-chain predators from the sea. The sea is a big, untamed wilderness, subject to many of nature's rules people have overcome in our patch, like the food chain.

Humans live on the land. When humans go in the sea, we join the sea's food chain at our natural point.

That point is below sharks. If (like many do), humans go into the sea dressed in tight grey/black suits indistinguishable (to their eyes/brains) from some of a shark's most common prey, they amplify the likelihood of joining that food chain.

All this is to say if you hang out in a shark's kitchen dressed as a delicious seal, theres a chance you'll end up as his dinner.

Not to mention of course that humanity's overfishing and messing with the water climate is what is forcing these guys closer to shore looking for a humeal (like a turducken) in the first place.

Which is why my eyes go bright white with rage whenever people talk about shark culls or killing them for safety.

Putting aside the fact statstics show shark attacks are up their with lightning, winning the lotto and Richmond final wins in the probability stakes, you're ALWAYS SAFE FROM SHARKS ON THE LAND.

I'm no marine bioligist, but I think it's fair to say if safety is your priority, your warm, dry house is a good place to not run in to any hungry, confused sharks.

I'm not saying don't go in the ocean. If you like surfing, boating, skiing in the ocean than that's ******* great, go nuts. I'm just saying, be honest about the risks, and be honest that it's your fault if you get bit. Sharks gonna shark, bro

Sharks live in the sea. Sharks are big, dumb, top-of-the-food-chain predators from the sea. The sea is a big, untamed wilderness, subject to many of nature's rules people have overcome in our patch, like the food chain.

Humans live on the land. When humans go in the sea, we join the sea's food chain at our natural point.

That point is below sharks. If (like many do), humans go into the sea dressed in tight grey/black suits indistinguishable (to their eyes/brains) from some of a shark's most common prey, they amplify the likelihood of joining that food chain.

All this is to say if you hang out in a shark's kitchen dressed as a delicious seal, theres a chance you'll end up as his dinner.

Not to mention of course that humanity's overfishing and messing with the water climate is what is forcing these guys closer to shore looking for a humeal (like a turducken) in the first place.

Which is why my eyes go bright white with rage whenever people talk about shark culls or killing them for safety.

Putting aside the fact statstics show shark attacks are up their with lightning, winning the lotto and Richmond final wins in the probability stakes, you're ALWAYS SAFE FROM SHARKS ON THE LAND.

I'm no marine bioligist, but I think it's fair to say if safety is your priority, your warm, dry house is a good place to not run in to any hungry, confused sharks.

I'm not saying don't go in the ocean. If you like surfing, boating, skiing in the ocean than that's ******* great, go nuts. I'm just saying, be honest about the risks, and be honest that it's your fault if you get bit. Sharks gonna shark, bro
Spot on,except sharks aren't dumb.

Check a book called "Jaws of Death-Shark as predator,man as prey" by Xavier Maniguet.This guy was that good a marine bioligist he was employed by the French secret service.Direct hand in sinking "The Rainbow Warrior"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy the theory that they're coming inshore to bite people because they're starving.Recreational fishing has alot to answer for,inshore fishing hammers nurseries and catch and release attracts predators.

I'm not sure of origin of this opinion. Today Tonight perhaps? The Greens? PETA?

I've never heard any theory about them coming inshore due to hunger. Sickness, yes, and we even had the litte GW choke on a seal and beach itself nth of Gero. (Died doing what it loved. Vale)

Put simply, they are protected, their feed source is protected and both are growing in numbers. Human population is also growing. More sharks, more people= more contact.

The genetically modified killer sharks are a different story...

Sounds like victim blaming to me!

woah.gif

I'm not sure of origin of this opinion. Today Tonight perhaps? The Greens? PETA?

I've never heard any theory about them coming inshore due to hunger. Sickness, yes, and we even had the litte GW choke on a seal and beach itself nth of Gero. (Died doing what it loved. Vale)

Put simply, they are protected, their feed source is protected and both are growing in numbers. Human population is also growing. More sharks, more people= more contact.

The genetically modified killer sharks are a different story...
Put simpler most sharks aren't protected and neither is their food source.

Check a book called "Jaws of Death-Shark as predator,man as prey" by Xavier Maniguet.This guy was that good a marine bioligist he was employed by the French secret service.Direct hand in sinking "The Rainbow Warrior"
You're advocating we send money to terrorists by buying their books?

Put simply, they are protected, their feed source is protected and both are growing in numbers. .

Put simply your wrong. In the Spencer gulf there's thousands of white sharks. Mainly juveniles and young adults feeding off snapper schools.It's the main nursery for populations that live between here and South Africa. Its one of the last eco systems in the world still functioning and it is near collapse. South Australia took drastic measures when the snapper populations almost collapsed. currently gar fish is critically endangered and so is the blue swimmer crab. Two specie snapper feed on, whites feed on snapper. The south Australian gov is taking drastic measures that is upsetting many, to try and save that marine eco system from collapsing, like most around the world have collapsed.

White sharks are getting smaller, which means there numbers is getting less. Its only the big females that breed. In South Australian gulf waters big whites like big stingrays, big stingrays are also few and far between now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back