Sheffield Shield Round 10: Victoria v Tasmania @ Alice Springs

Remove this Banner Ad

WA is only going to qualify for the final thanks to the flattest pitch in Australia, no problem if they prepare the same pitch ;)

I understand WA are complaining but didn't realise CA had officially announced Bellerive as the venue

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/hobart-blundstone-arena-to-host-bupa-sheffield-shield-final-victoria-western-australia/2015-03-16

On the other hand it was also unfair on WA that a match we were in a great position in (against Victoria in Melbourne) was abandoned after one day.

Obviously there was an extremely good reason for the match to be abandoned and I'm not complaining that is was abandoned.

A wicket designed for a result would be the best way to cap off the season though.

Three wrongs don't make a right.

But we're following the rules exactly

The hosting side needs to be able to provide a venue in their home state otherwise the other team can nominate the venue.

Cricket Victoria are unable to provide a venue (even though WA have indicated they would be happy to play at the Junction Oval) and thus by the rules it is up to Western Australia to provide the stadium (which will get a decent crowd).

But we're following the rules exactly

The hosting side needs to be able to provide a venue in their home state otherwise the other team can nominate the venue.

Cricket Victoria are unable to provide a venue (even though WA have indicated they would be happy to play at the Junction Oval) and thus by the rules it is up to Western Australia to provide the stadium (which will get a decent crowd).

You are forgetting the extenuating circumstances of the World Cup and the fact that NSW hosted outside their state last year.

Well, there ya go.

I think it's a s**t decision to play it in Tassie and that, despite the disadvantageous nature of it all, it should have been played at the WACA.

On the other hand it was also unfair on WA that a match we were in a great position in (against Victoria in Melbourne) was abandoned after one day.

Obviously there was an extremely good reason for the match to be abandoned and I'm not complaining that is was abandoned.

A wicket designed for a result would be the best way to cap off the season though.

Maybe you were, maybe you weren't, plenty of teams made 350-400 against us in the 1st innings this year and we still won outright, you were in a similar position in the 2nd game but the tail collapsed and we won that outright.

Most shield finals I have seen do get a result, but the host team gets the right to be able to pile on the pressure, they get the advantage that the team who finished 2nd needs to prove their worth by taking 20 wickets on a flat pitch, not a lively pitch that will probably be over in 2 days, we can probably expect something like this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's two things: there's no cricket connection between Vic and Tas, and there was nothing to gain last season from complaining. NSW would have just hosted it at Bankstown or whatever. Given WA were playing NSW in Canberra the week before the final anyway it would have been nonsensical to force the issue. This time it's completely different. I'm sure part of the allure in hosting the game in Tassie is the chance of rainy/dark weather too.......

When the ACA rose to power, they in conjunction with CA set down a list of standards that grounds had to meet in order to be classified as a First Class venue. The dilapidated state of The Junction's off field facilities meant it has not met this status since the standards were introduced and as such hasn't hosted a first class game. I was amazed that all of a sudden last week the standards were going to be thrown aside possibly because of exceptional circumstances to allow the final to be played there. I understand why the Vics have nominated Bellerieve, but it makes no sense from a common sense point of view.

The Lalbert a Recreation Reserve is available if needed. Wonderful facilities, excellent wicket which offers pace and bounce for bowlers but also value for good batting. Let me know and I will get the footy club to move their practice match!! Seriously though the second half of this shield season have seen some pretty strange stuff going on to be honest and to have the final clouded in this type of controversy just sort of fits in

I'm just surprised that neither Ballarat or Bendigo have an oval with facilities as good as the Robertson Oval in Wagga Wagga

I live in Bendigo and to be honest the council have spent a heap of cash on facilities but across many venues rather than just the main ground. Ballarat have announced a major upgrade of one of their grounds which should comfortably bring it to the required standard

I live in Bendigo and to be honest the council have spent a heap of cash on facilities but across many venues rather than just the main ground. Ballarat have announced a major upgrade of one of their grounds which should comfortably bring it to the required standard
I'm not so sure, standards cover off field and practice facilities as well as playing surface. Given we have none meeting the standard, and despite the political mileage in not having one allowing the Junction to get much needed assistance for an upgrade, I'm not sure it's as easy as it might seem. The practice facility appears to be a big stumbling block.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back